Ohio National Financial Services Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.8
Gary T. "Doc" Huffman

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Easy work and great work life balance (in 4 reviews)

• Good work environment, good benefits, starting new programs to improve work/home life (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Cubicles are literally as humanly small as OSHA will allow (in 3 reviews)

1. "Financial Services Representative"

Former Employee - Financial Representative in Blue Ash, OH
    Former Employee - Financial Representative in Blue Ash, OH

I worked at Ohio National Financial Services full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great work environment. Management really cares about their employees and values their input. Competetive pay scale.

Cons

None. Great company !

Nov 16, 2017 – Manager, Talent Acquisition

Thank you for sharing your experience at Ohio National. We are proud to be named a Top Workplace in Cincinnati and hearing about experiences like yours helps to shape our workplace culture.

"Associate in Financial Reporting/Accounting Department"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cincinnati, OH
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at Ohio National Financial Services (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Competitive starting pay
    - Time off is on a PTO basis and a portion is able to be carried over. Started out with 21 days and have consistently had 28+ days every other year
    - On site cafeteria with decent food at reasonable prices.
    - Covered Parking
    - Great location in Blue Ash

Cons

- The work environment on the 6th floor in the Financial Reporting/Accounting department is sub-par to say the least and maybe borderline toxic.
    - The current CFO's only motivation technique is to yell and put you down while criticizing your work.
    - The staff is very top heavy, the ratio of managers and above to associates is probably close to 1:1. This makes upward mobility within the group extremely difficult. There is no realistic possibility of a meaningful promotion unless you're here 5-7+ years. Seriously, everyone has VP in their title.
    - The department is broken up into 6-7 smaller groups and the groups do not work together well. Corporate politics are very much in play and all the groups seem to be out to get each other.
    - There is one person at the Assistant VP level that walks around screaming at people every single day for the littlest things (this is not an exaggeration). I've never seen anything like it in a professional setting. Ask anyone within the department and they'll know exactly who this is referencing.
    - The walls seem to have eyes and ears. Don't say or do anything you're not comfortable with the whole floor knowing.
    - Performance is judged more on how much time is spent at your desk rather than work produced.
    - Some people in the department pride themselves on staying past 8pm multiple times a week when the work they're doing should never require that kind of time.
    - Upper Management makes a point of walking around at about 5:15pm everyday to see who is still there.
    - We receive the Top Workplace Award every year because the survey is forced down the employee's throats. If you don't take it you will receive multiple reminders until you cave and complete it.

Advice to Management

Hopefully the new CFO starting in 2018 can change the culture and atmosphere in our department in a big way. There are too many separate groups within the department and too many people at management level. Combine some of the groups and trim management. Put people in charge who know how to delegate and reward people based on quality of their work not the hours spent at their desk.

Dec 29, 2017 – Manager, Talent Acquisition

Thank you for sharing your concerns. Your feedback is important to us and will be shared. If you have further concerns you would like to address, please contact the Human Resources department.

3. "Internal Wholesaler"

Current Employee - Internal Wholesaler/Marketing Representative in Blue Ash, OH
    Current Employee - Internal Wholesaler/Marketing Representative in Blue Ash, OH

I have been working at Ohio National Financial Services full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Phenomenal company. Great people and culture. Pay is lower than the industry average.

Cons

The company has been on a hiring freeze for the last year and it looks like it will continue, for the most part, for a while longer.

Nov 6, 2017 – Manager, Talent Acquisition

We are pleased to hear such positive feedback from our associates and are proud to be named one of the Top Workplaces in Cincinnati. We are constantly recruiting for open positions within the company... More

4. "Manager"

I have been working at Ohio National Financial Services full-time

Pros

Good overall place to work.

Cons

Can be hard to get time off at certain times of the year.

Oct 30, 2017 – Manager, Talent Acquisition

Thank you for your positive feedback! We are proud to be consistently named a Top Workplaces in Cincinnati and feedback like yours helps us to maintain our workplace culture.

5. "Marketing"

I have been working at Ohio National Financial Services full-time

Pros

Good work environment, good benefits, starting new programs to improve work/home life.

Cons

Seems to be very top heavy. Advancement in certain departments is difficult. Average paid salaries.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what they're doing. The company is growing

Oct 25, 2017 – Manager, Talent Acquisition

Your feedback is important in maintaining our Top Workplace culture. We assure you that your comments are heard and will be used to enhance the culture at Ohio National.

6. "sales associate"

Former Employee - Sales Associate
    Former Employee - Sales Associate

I worked at Ohio National Financial Services full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

benefits including cash bonus portion of company profit sharing plan

Cons

CRONYISM CRONYISM CRONYISM
    ILL TRAINED MANAGERS

Advice to Management

train your managers

Nov 3, 2017 – Manager, Talent Acquisition

Thank you for your feedback. We work hard to maintain a good work environment. Your feedback will be shared as we strive to continuously improve our workplace culture at Ohio National.

7. "Great place to work"

I have been working at Ohio National Financial Services full-time

Pros

the people, parking and cafe

Cons

very busy, need more team members

Sep 25, 2017 – Manager, Talent Acquisition

Thank you for your feedback. We will continue to evaluate ways to enhance our workplace for associates like you

8. "Projects"

I have been working at Ohio National Financial Services full-time

Pros

Ohio National is a great place to work. This is where my career began. I am grateful to be part of the family.

Cons

Currently add-to-staff has slowed.

Sep 18, 2017 – Manager, Talent Acquisition

We are pleased to hear such positive feedback from our associates and are proud to be named one of the Top Workplaces in Cincinnati. Thank you for contributing to our workplace culture!

9. "Sr New Business Processor"

Current Employee - Senior New Business Processor in Montgomery, OH
    Current Employee - Senior New Business Processor in Montgomery, OH

I have been working at Ohio National Financial Services full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The atmosphere is like family and the perks are amazing

Cons

Some people don't share the same old school work ethics that I do

Advice to Management

Value the hard work and look through the manipulation

Sep 11, 2017 – Manager, Talent Acquisition

10. "Processing"

I worked at Ohio National Financial Services full-time

Pros

Great company, friendly people, a lot of social activities and nice facility.

Cons

Need to pick up on the technology side. The last I heard, they are still using Lotus Note.

Aug 14, 2017 – Manager, Talent Acquisition

We appreciate your feedback on the things we do well and the areas we need to improve. Your feedback helps us maintain our Top Workplace culture.