KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

OkCupid CEO Ariel Charytan
Ariel Charytan
  1. 5.0
    Featured Review

Highly collaborative, data-driven product development

Dec 22, 2020 - Software Engineer in New York, NY
    Business Outlook

Pros

- Product requirements are fleshed out in advance with ample engineering input - Engineers are empowered to research and plan their solutions in advance of diving into feature development - Product development timelines are aggressive enough to ensure that there's always work to accomplish, but not so much that it's overloaded or stressful - Engineers own feature development from the planning stages through execution and release. It feels more rewarding because of the amount of responsibility you're given - The engineering team is lean considering the complexity of the product. It's awesome that there aren't too many cooks in the kitchen - New features are rigorously A/B tested, removing ambiguity and subjectivity from product decisions. Product teams feel more like an equal playing field for this reason - There are tons of amazing office perks! As well as unbeatable benefits when it comes to 401k matching, equity, commuter subsidy, etc - OkCupid itself is a product that welcomes all people and that truly helps build positive and meaningful connections. I am proud about the outcome of my work

Cons

Please keep in mind that the following critiques are ones I would have about EVERY software development job I've had... - The focus is always on building new features. It would be beneficial for the product as well as for the code base if we allocated more time for addressing tech debt, writing unit tests, etc. - Perfection is a moving and evolving target. There are aspects of the code base that aren't great, but then again we are always working to improve them and that's rewarding!

2. 5.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

Easily the best place I've ever worked

Jun 11, 2021 - Senior in New York, NY
    Business Outlook

Pros

Full transparency on most things The ability to have ideas that are listened to 401k match is 100% up to 10% Company holidays + vacation policy truly shines (hint, it's massive) Everyone in the company has an open door policy Things get done fast because processes are streamlined Everyone is super friendly The back to office policy is reasonable and every measure has been taken to make us feel comfortable The in office benefits are incredible The overall comp packages are super competitive

Cons

To be honest, there have been issues that I've raised that have been answered so any potential issues I've had have been met and exceeded

3. 3.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Just Like The App

Sep 30, 2021 - Senior Software Engineer in New York, NY
    Business Outlook

Pros

Marketing material is cute Big on hiring LGBTQ+ and BIPOC employees, if you're part of those communities

Cons

Backend system is broken. Everyone knows this, yet they are amazingly indecisive on owning it vs maintenance. Onboarding process is nothing like the job itself. Nepotism is obvious and kinda unique. New hires are management referrals all the time. You have people who know each other for a long time making decisions for the company at the expense of others and benefit of themselves. Retention rate is embarrassing. Everyone who isn't on the inner circle will leave after their options are vested - and this vacuum is filled internally most of the time. Product is kneecapped in its growth. Best they can get is Tinder's sloppy seconds. This is also why they are the most isolated child of Match Group and a complete afterthought that isn't a huge cost center but won't ever be a big profit center either. Managers care about themselves. They can be replaced by a bot, as they lack empathy, mentorship and decision making skills, and just carry out "business". Actually there are no managers, they're a senior engineer/manager hybrid like Apple but that doesn't really work in this company setup, since the managers have mostly been given the position instead of earning it. Innovation is discouraged since leadership is unable to make pivotal decisions on the engineering direction. By solving a few engineering challenges the company can generate huge momentum to grow dimensionally, but every engineering problem that gets resources allocated is to meet a marketing deadline Pair programming and collaboration between engineers has a high cost to it: your manager will know that you couldn't finish something on your own, and it's a negative point against you. Public Slack channels are basically silent and only used to gloat. It's best to limit your opinions and communication to private messages with folks you predict are trustable, otherwise be aware that public messages are all being monitored carefully by whomever you report to. This is a great tool to paint you as the escapegoat, to hide the larger more difficult issues behind the very pointed and public blame put on you Engineering isn't a very friendly environment. You're not a person, you're another cog in the machine, do as you're told and make the right people happy to earn a promotion or be square.

2 people found this review helpful
  4. 1.0
    Former Employee, more than 5 years

Unfocused and unsafe

Oct 12, 2021 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

The bonds you create with other employees that you actually trust is the only pro working here, but these bonds stem from the trauma you've all experienced, not necessarily from something positive that's brought you together as a team.

Cons

The leadership team and CEO have no idea what they're doing. They've been hired to parrot whatever Tinder does, but they somehow make each copy-cat feature less enjoyable. The app feels cheap and empty. The once quirky and charming dating app is a shell of its former self. Actionable items that will actually make the product better and safer are thrown to the curb for features that are designed to make a profit at the expense of actual value, safety, and innovation. I no longer feel comfortable recommending OkCupid to anyone I care about in my life due to the neglect of everything important that keeps members safe and happy.

2 people found this review helpful
  5. 1.0
    Former Employee, more than 5 years

Low pay and awful company culture

Oct 1, 2021 - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Business Outlook

Pros

Work that makes a difference

Cons

Pay is well below market rate; Exploitative; Focus is on profit over a solid product; Management makes no effort to understand the jobs done by their subordinates; Very little upward mobility; Nepotism runs rampant

1 person found this review helpful
  6. 4.0
    Current Employee, more than 3 years

Great people and reasonable place to work

May 14, 2021 - Software Engineer in New York, NY
    Business Outlook

Pros

- everyone here is really logical and things just don't happen because we're following the whims of a startup ceo - we use data to justify our product decisions and descope engineering tasks to fit deadlines - people are great - fun, interesting, and weird people you enjoy talking to and they do take office culture seriously, quarterly offsites for each product and eng team - lots of opportunity for ownership - it's overwhelming in the beginning - people listen to each other and work to make sure everyone feels heard - good work/life balance

Cons

- technical debt - making progress on it but there is a lot - sometimes you can feel silo-ed because of the cross-functional teams

OkCupid Response

Lead Recruiter

We really appreciate your feedback on how you feel about us. We pride ourselves on creating an environment of diversity and inclusion of ideas and there's nothing more important than listening to our employees. We're working very hard on modernizing our Technology ecosystem and it's people like yourself that help us continue to make meaningful moves towards that. On the topic of feeling siloed at times, I'd definitely welcome you to talk to anyone in the leadership team or on the people / talent side about that. We want to hear you out and work with you to consistently improve who were are and how we operate!

7. 1.0

Stay away!

May 7, 2021 - Trust &Amp; Safety Analyst
    Business Outlook

Pros

There are some really wonderful and passionate people in the T&S department.

Cons

Pay is way below market, teams are siloed, management is in chaos, HR is unwilling to challenge upper management. Trust & Safety has no input anywhere in the company. It's a completely toxic work environment and they try to address it by giving people access to mindfulness apps. There are serious issues with structural racism. There's no upward career path for anyone in Trust & Safety. Stay away! It's not worth it!

10 people found this review helpful
  8. 5.0

Great Place to Make an Impact

Jul 9, 2020 - Data Analyst in New York, NY
    Business Outlook

Pros

Data is central to okc's decision making strategies, and I have no doubt that my team is heard from the start of project all the way through its conclusion. I feel like my ideas are consistently listened to and taken under advisement during a decision making process in ways that I have never been able to experience at larger companies. The small team size also leads to exposure on a lot of different projects, depending on what you're looking for this could be a con as it means you have to be comfortable wearing many hats. If you're comfortable with that kind of responsibility then the exposure to decision makers and the ability to be exposed to different kinds of projects and opportunities are awesome. COVID response has been well-managed, both for employees, and from the business side.

Cons

As mentioned, you have to be comfortable working on new things every so often, there's not a lot of opportunity to just rest on your laurels and not keep contributing.

9. 4.0

Good place to work now

Apr 24, 2020 - Customer Service Associate in New York, NY
    Business Outlook

Pros

Good benefits and staff friendly management

Cons

Raises and pay not ideal

10. 5.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

Great company to work for

Feb 27, 2020 - Senior Engineer in New York, NY
    Business Outlook

Pros

Respectful company culture, management treating everybody with respect. A lot of very smart and professional people working here, who care about what they do. The pace of product development is fast but without unnecessary pressure. Quick response to any questions on Slack, OPS requests, etc. This is one of the advantages of working for a smaller company - everybody is seated on the same floor and get together for daily served lunches, so all interactions are informal and friendly. Great benefits. I worked for other good companies in the past, but okcupid has the best benefits by far. Generous 401k match, low cost medical insurance, transportation, early training allowance, etc.

Cons

As other people pointed out, location is not great, no subway lines nearby. More generous remote work arrangements would be nice.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 44 Reviews