Okta Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated April 25, 2017

Full-time Part-time

4.3
Rating Trends Rating Trends

Pros
  • Great company making a great product and building an amazing team (in 21 reviews)

• If you are ambitious and hard-working (in 20 reviews)

Cons
  • The sheer scale of the opportunities means that maintaining a work life balance can be challenging (in 15 reviews)

• some growing pains that are common with successful start ups (in 17 reviews)

1. "Working at Okta has changed my life!"

Current Employee - Engineering in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Engineering in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Okta full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-I can easily say that working at Okta has changed my life for the better. Not only is it an amazing place to work (with top tier coworkers), but i am constantly challenged and have advanced my career/skillset significantly by investing in Okta's vision.

-The products are top notch and the business is growing rapidly.

-In today's crazy world, it is refreshing to have a team of upper management that care so deeply about gender equality, diversity, charity and making everyone feel like they are home at Okta. You can tell that they want to build a community, not just a business.

-Free food and infinite snacks

Joining Okta was easily the best career decision i've made to date.

Cons

Okta has a work hard/play hard culture to a degree. That could be a good or bad thing depending on your mindset and ambition. The talent is on par with your Google and Apples of the world, and so i'd expect nothing less. Come here if you want to learn from the best, stay if you want to be the best.

Advice to Management

I know it's a bit spoiled to say, but i'd love a rotation of the free snacks (we have a lot of free food).

2. "Great place to work, excellent Sales Leadership, slow product development"

Current Employee - Account Executive in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Account Executive in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Okta full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Disruptive, sticky, foundational technology. Co-founders are passionate about making an impact in this space. Sales Leadership is top-notch from CRO down to 1st line management. The product works - customers seem very happy with high retention rates.

Cons

Newer upper management overpaid and use too many buzzwords - no real execution. Product development has screeched to a grinding halt. Customer success organization ill-equipped to handle technical use cases. Sales comp continues to decline. Inbound leads continue to decline.

Advice to Management

Seriously look into the entire customer success org. Customer success at Salesforce/LinkedIn is non technical compared to Okta. Demand results from newly hired President.

3. "good place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I have been working at Okta full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

good culture, people, work environment

Cons

management expectations and market reality may not be aligned at times.

5. "Best Company I've Worked For!"

I have been working at Okta full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great people, great product, great values, great culture, great leadership - the list of great goes on!

Cons

It's honestly hard to come up with any cons - the pace is fast, but it's exciting! Would like to see 401k match, but overall the benefits are good.

6. "Great Opportunity"

Current Employee - Sales Development Representative in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Development Representative in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Okta full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- It's a great place to grow your career.
    - Awesome work environment and colleagues.
    - Decent pay and compensation.
    - Transparency throughout the company.
    - Cool and understanding CEO, COO, CRO, CMO and CIO.
    - Free snacks and beer.
    - Recreational room.
    - Unlimited Paid time offs.

Cons

- High employee turnover.
    - Limited facilities for employees working outside HQ.
    - No parking discounts or reserved parking facilities.

Advice to Management

None YET!

7. "Great Company"

Current Employee - Project Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Project Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Okta (Less than a year)

Pros

Not only are all your co workers very friendly and eager to help each other they are all very knowledgeable. The environment is slowing down a bit and bring in more of a traditional PMO structure.

Cons

Really just training and access to key needs, this only goes if you are contracted. FTE's get great training on the product and test sites to use for additional training and testing, along with access to key systems that allow for better tracking of customer and their needs. Not a huge con as this is normal for most contract roles, but the only one I could really think of.

Advice to Management

Keep moving forward and working with your teams, as you already do.

"Great at first..."

Former Employee - Senior Renewals Representative in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Renewals Representative in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Okta full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fun work environment (at the beginning), competitive pay, very competitive stock, great snacks in the break room, free lunch, and a fast-paced environment with tons of room for growth.

Cons

Very management heavy. Too many meetings (not enough time to actually get work done). Growing pains of any hyper-growth start-up, but management could have focused on keeping culture in tact, instead it was lost over time. CEO is a nice guy and means well, but he's not authentic. His attitude/demeanor in the weekly all hands is nothing like what he is behind closed doors.

"At a cross roads... and going down the wrong path...."

I have been working at Okta full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Still living off the product that was innovative 2-3 years ago. Could be a 'Con'

Some really smart and good people in the middle ranks.

Cons

Product:
          Product is falling behind. Way behind. Product lives in their own ivory tower. None of the product managers are held accountable. First enterprise software company where product managers don't have a revenue goal for their product- which leads to just launching products which aren't real and don't work. No idea on pricing... which is why we discount between 50-90%- but hey, it's OK the product managers all went to Ivy School so they must know. The best part- they're not allowed to travel or interact with prospects or customers- only elevating the ivory tower illusion.

HR:
         Is a mess as other reviewers here highlight. It's been a train wreck for the past year, and the mid-year change looked promising. But it's become even worse. The ironic part is that as a woman- I feel our HR leadership (also women) 'bully' fellow female coworkers. And the "Mean Girl's" within the executive admin team is literally out of the movie. Yes Todd... we all see it even in 301.

SDR/Tele Sales:
        Having people who were in college 2 years ago run critical pieces of the business is wrong. You have folks who's first job was to be an SDR and less than 6-8 quarters later they are leading the SDR team. They don't know what they're doing.

Customer Success:
          We've gone from really caring about our customers to caring about clearing tickets and charging ridiculous amounts for professionals services engagements because the customer success execs want to show how much revenue comes in. Customers are aware that our secret sauces is not so secret when deploying Okta.

Advice to Management

You have too many people who haven't done this before- and realize this is their only (and most likely) last time to be part of company that could do an IPO. They are combative, defensive. You've hired B/C players who know they can't get a better job outside of Okta.

Find the folks who've been through this growth stage- are liked by their directs, have low attrition from high performers (<-- key) and who continue to push the organization to work together and stand up to the dysfunctional leaders.

Also, I really appreciate and understand how you're trying to promote women at work through "Women at Okta" and showcasing our executives- but we should be held to the same standards as men. Some of the female executives are given a pass because they are women- and management is too afraid to remove them because of old glassdoor reviews calling Okta a 'boys club'. HR, Customer Success, SDR have this issue. There is no equality if we are not being held to the same standards.

"There are better places to work"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Pros

Motivated people
    Awesome product
    Great Perks
    Free lunch
    Good pay

Cons

Managers who aren't transparent
    Clear examples of favoritism
    I knew some contractors who were let go after they were lured into jobs that they were told would become full-time. I didn't like how they treated a lot of the contractors in terms of how they were let go etc.

Advice to Management

Really think about the direction of this company from a cultural inclusive standpoint. Ask yourselves if you've done enough to make this the most inclusive place possible.

"Great opportunity to build a market-leading enterprise product"

I have been working at Okta full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I think upper management is pretty straightforward and open.
    If you like working with very smart and talented people, they are here.
    If you want the kind of opportunities that become available from rapid growth, they are here.
    If you need something, you can get it if you make your case.
    If you like seeing a problem, suggesting a solution, and given the freedom to implement it, this place if for you.
    Not a lot of politics as far as I can tell.

Cons

Inter-division visibility and collaboration is a huge challenge.
    Culturally, it is a little bit bland.
    It is tough to find the information you need when you need it.
    The email firehose.

Advice to Management

The folks who are the most effective have been around since the organization was <100 or <200 people. They know where the resources are and who to talk to get what. It works for them. The rest of us are struggling. What worked for 100 doesn't necessarily work for 1000. Pick a single tool for collaboration and make everyone use it.

What processes and systems would need to be in place to support an agile, collaborative and productive 5000-employee Okta? Let's start building for that future. It is time to consolidate (in a good way).