Okta Reviews | Glassdoor

4.1
Okta CEO & Co-Founder Todd McKinnon
Todd McKinnon

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Great leadership, great product, great enviornment" (in 29 reviews)

• "tons of things to do, but work life balance is very good depending on your department - certainly better compared to other companies" (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • "Work/life balance can be tricky with a Pacific-Time based team" (in 21 reviews)

• "No 401k match but the rest of the benefits are pretty good all around" (in 14 reviews)

1. "Regional Sales Manager"

Current Employee - Regional Sales Manager
    Current Employee - Regional Sales Manager

I have been working at Okta full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great company vision led by a CEO who truly cares about his employees and maintaining an excellent culture. Okta continues to innovate in a way that will allow them to dominate the Identity and Access Management market for years to come.

Cons

Some minor growing pains as expected with an organization that is in hyper growth mode.

"Stay Away"

I worked at Okta full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Building a great product
    The company is continuously doing well
    SF HQ moved into a better location

Cons

Managers don't know how to run the teams, they just THINK they do
    Don't bother to tell your issues to HR, they don't care
    Transparency?? Yeah right...
    Unlimited Vacation?? Laughable

Advice to Management

OPEN YOUR EYES!!!
    People are leaving left and right not because they don't believe in the company, but because of the people running the show!
    Why don't you start sitting people down before they leave and ask then WHY instead of hiding behind a desk.

"the place to be"

Current Employee - Sales Development Representative in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Development Representative in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Okta full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

From the perspective of a recent grad who has been with the company for around five months, I could not be happier with my decision to join this company. A few of the reasons why -

- tendency to hire bright, driven people that also happen to be kind and fun
    - major perks that make going into the office enjoyable
    - management that cares to help you reach your goals / clear paths for advancement
    - an innovative company with impressive trajectory, a great product with a massive addressable market, and that tackles critical security concerns that will only grow in importance

Cons

when there is an avocado shortage on the sales floor

Advice to Management

Of course there will be difficulties for a company scaling as fast as Okta, but even in my brief time here I've already seen continuous efforts on behalf of management to collect feedback and incorporate improvement. Keep on!

"Great Company"

I worked at Okta full-time

Pros

I absolutely loved the company culture while I was there. My co-workers quickly became my friends, which made going into work every day a fun experience.

Cons

Food went downhill. It's hard to complain about free lunch, but airline boxed lunches were better quality then the food we were given.

Advice to Management

Avoid favoritism, reward the hard working employees.

5. "Senior Alliances Sales Engineer"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Okta full-time (More than a year)

Pros

team work, product, flexibility, perks

Cons

limited professional growth in UK, not very well defined processes

"My experience working at Okta (just under two years of service)"

Current Employee - Marketing Executive in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Marketing Executive in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Okta full-time (More than a year)

Pros

People care about the company as much as they care about themselves
    Growth creates new opportunities for employees
    Benefits outside of pay - flexible work schedule, safe work environment, food/beverages/snacks
    Access to smart people daily

Cons

Growth doesn't mean working 7x24 but employees do work hard
    Employees will hold you accountable
    Doing things that will make you feel uncomfortable is normal. Stretching yourself isn't for everyone

Advice to Management

Continue to be receptive to new ideas
    Support personal growth initiatives as you have done to date
    Prioritize more across the company to get more leverage

"Passionate team, trustworthy leadership, massive potential"

Current Employee - Senior Marketing Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Marketing Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Okta full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Our vision is inspiration, our potential is massive. I am confident that Okta is going to be as big as Salesforce one day.
    - I trust and respect our leaders. They're all experts in their domains; some are the best in the business. And yet, they're humble, too.
    - If you work hard and are committed to this company, you will succeed. Career opportunities abound!
    - Okta truly is sales, marketing and PR machine. I'm proud to say I work on the Marketing team and of the work of my colleagues. I mean, we had Barack Obama as a keynote speaker at our customer conference in 2018! How cool is that?!

Cons

- Our unofficial company motto is "Always On," so expect to *always* be on to be taken seriously: nights, weekends, vacations and holidays. It's great that people are passionate about their work, but sometimes, it feels like a competition to see who can work the hardest or longest.
    - I'm torn on whether or not I should comment on the "bro culture" mentioned in recent reviews. It's not as bad as I've seen/experienced elsewhere, but the fact that this is common in software companies shouldn't be an excuse. I know the leaders mean well, but most of them are straight white males, and they need to really invest in diversity and inclusion.
    - Don't come expecting Google, Facebook, Airbnb or Square-level food. But I actually don't think that's a con! We should be investing in more important things than food.

Advice to Management

Don't just listen or give lip service to the feedback submitted to Glassdoor or at All Hands, act on it and report your progress back to the business. You built a strong culture in the early days, but culture needs to be nurtured; especially when undergoing hyper-growth. Invest in and empower your people. Take diversity and inclusion seriously, and seek to learn from employees with experiences different than your own.

"SDR/BDR"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Pros

Great product, really easy to sell, catered lunch MWF

Cons

The entire sales floor is a fraternity. If you aren’t a “bro” then this isn’t the place for you. The company preaches inclusion at every all hands, but they don’t practice it. Every new hire is a referral, and they all come from the immediate area of California for the most part. Steer clear if you’re looking to work with a diverse group.

"Keeping it real"

Current Employee - Senior Customer Success Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Customer Success Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Okta full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

As a remote new hire, you never know what the culture is really going to be like. The balance and energy Todd and Freddy bring to the company is so refreshing to see in business. I haven’t missed a single all hands and don’t plan on it. The fact that they keep it fresh and are real during the all hands speaks volumes to me; while at the same time leading the business and showing the acumen to keep things growing.

The culture and company drives volunteerism with it's Okta4Good initiatives. They do good in San Francisco and wherever employees are, keeping it local.

Even the recruiting process was respectful and balanced. Most other tech companies just want to grill you to determine if you are a fit for them with no understanding they are also selling their company and people.

Cons

A few bumps along the road to getting setup and on boarded as a remote employee.

Advice to Management

Keep adjusting to the customers and the marketplace.

If there were someway to share clips or a montage of the weekly all hands so that outsiders could see the culture and vibe.

10. "Strong culture and good growth opportunities"

Pros

Strong financial performance and rapid growth

Cons

Requires a lot of technical knowledge