Okta Reviews | Glassdoor

3.9
Okta CEO & Co-Founder Todd McKinnon
Todd McKinnon

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Great leadership, great product, great enviornment" (in 27 reviews)

• "tons of things to do, but work life balance is very good depending on your department - certainly better compared to other companies" (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • "Work/life balance can be tricky with a Pacific-Time based team" (in 21 reviews)

• "No 401k match but the rest of the benefits are pretty good all around" (in 14 reviews)

"Passionate team, trustworthy leadership, massive potential"

Current Employee - Senior Marketing Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Marketing Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Okta full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Our vision is inspiration, our potential is massive. I am confident that Okta is going to be as big as Salesforce one day.
    - I trust and respect our leaders. They're all experts in their domains; some are the best in the business. And yet, they're humble, too.
    - If you work hard and are committed to this company, you will succeed. Career opportunities abound!
    - Okta truly is sales, marketing and PR machine. I'm proud to say I work on the Marketing team and of the work of my colleagues. I mean, we had Barack Obama as a keynote speaker at our customer conference in 2018! How cool is that?!

Cons

- Our unofficial company motto is "Always On," so expect to *always* be on to be taken seriously: nights, weekends, vacations and holidays. It's great that people are passionate about their work, but sometimes, it feels like a competition to see who can work the hardest or longest.
    - I'm torn on whether or not I should comment on the "bro culture" mentioned in recent reviews. It's not as bad as I've seen/experienced elsewhere, but the fact that this is common in software companies shouldn't be an excuse. I know the leaders mean well, but most of them are straight white males, and they need to really invest in diversity and inclusion.
    - Don't come expecting Google, Facebook, Airbnb or Square-level food. But I actually don't think that's a con! We should be investing in more important things than food.

Advice to Management

Don't just listen or give lip service to the feedback submitted to Glassdoor or at All Hands, act on it and report your progress back to the business. You built a strong culture in the early days, but culture needs to be nurtured; especially when undergoing hyper-growth. Invest in and empower your people. Take diversity and inclusion seriously, and seek to learn from employees with experiences different than your own.

"Keeping it real"

Current Employee - Senior Customer Success Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Customer Success Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Okta full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

As a remote new hire, you never know what the culture is really going to be like. The balance and energy Todd and Freddy bring to the company is so refreshing to see in business. I haven’t missed a single all hands and don’t plan on it. The fact that they keep it fresh and are real during the all hands speaks volumes to me; while at the same time leading the business and showing the acumen to keep things growing.

The culture and company drives volunteerism with it's Okta4Good initiatives. They do good in San Francisco and wherever employees are, keeping it local.

Even the recruiting process was respectful and balanced. Most other tech companies just want to grill you to determine if you are a fit for them with no understanding they are also selling their company and people.

Cons

A few bumps along the road to getting setup and on boarded as a remote employee.

Advice to Management

Keep adjusting to the customers and the marketplace.

If there were someway to share clips or a montage of the weekly all hands so that outsiders could see the culture and vibe.

"SDR/BDR"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Pros

Great product, really easy to sell, catered lunch MWF

Cons

The entire sales floor is a fraternity. If you aren’t a “bro” then this isn’t the place for you. The company preaches inclusion at every all hands, but they don’t practice it. Every new hire is a referral, and they all come from the immediate area of California for the most part. Steer clear if you’re looking to work with a diverse group.

4. "Strong culture and good growth opportunities"

Pros

Strong financial performance and rapid growth

Cons

Requires a lot of technical knowledge

"Bad employees are ruining the company."

I worked at Okta full-time

Pros

Ok benefits. Pioneer in the industry. Unlimited vacation for some employees.

Cons

Okta has a good product but I can see how the company culture and bad employees will ruin it sooner or later. Some employees have created an environment that is very toxic and their behavior is not just tolerated, but in many cases rewarded by the management. Due to these many employees, including myself, have chosen to leave and I personally and am much happier where I am today.

Also, echoing another reviewer, there is no diversity here. The sales floor is 99% straight white males which is not wrong but don't tout how diverse it is on a regular basis because it's a blatant lie.

Advice to Management

You need to cleanse the entire management from top to bottom at least in sales. Also, create a channel for people bring out their frustrations at work and take them seriously or else good people will continue to leave while bad apples stay.

"best to avoid"

I have been working at Okta full-time

Pros

good product
    benefits
    pay
    catered lunch (which after awhile will become inedible but hey, it's free food)
    they have onsite gym classes
    new office opening closer to Bart.

Cons

favoritism -- not a meritocracy at all. length of employment is rewarded with undeserved promotion.
    very clliquey
    culture isn't diverse even though they swear up and down it is. and please spare us the Okta for Good song and dance about corporate responsibility. we all know it's a tax savings scheme.

Advice to Management

stop promoting high performing individual contributors to management positions without first ensuring they're trained to take on that level of responsibility. good managing requires an entirely new skillset and if you're not willing to see to it that the people you promote are fit to take on the good and the bad of leading a team than maybe it's time to consider a new model. the idea that people leave managers not companies never rang so true as it does at okta. great company, promising product, GARBAGE management.

"The politics and favoritism runs deep"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Okta full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The office is nice, great people, always having fun with co-workers. Okta has a great product offering that is easy to believe in.

Cons

The senior management is so political and favoritism is at the heart of everything. It makes it so hard to actually do your job! Its definitely killing productivity and causing really great people to leave. Most of us just want to accomplish things for the greater good of Okta- I wish management would let us.

Advice to Management

Please trust the employees that YOU hired. Don't play favorites and then be surprised when you drive your whole team away.

"Information Security Analyst"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Okta full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great company with great benefits

Cons

nothing that i can say wrong about the firm

"Company in search of a soul"

I have been working at Okta full-time

Pros

On paper, this is a good company to work for. The pay is good. Benefits are good. PTO is good. There is a lot of opportunity in the space and if you are customer facing, you have the opportunity to work with a lot of interesting companies. There are good, smart people who work very hard and do their best to support those around them.

Cons

No effort has been put into defining a culture. What the company has defaulted to is a cliche "dude-bro enterprise" with profit being the only thing to aspire to. Focus has shifted entirely to becoming a revenue engine and away from any sort of product or customer focus. The result is a company with a hollow core, giving employees little to be motivated by other than more stock.

Advice to Management

Find a purpose and a message that employees can get behind. Don't default to a culture that exhibits the worst traits of the type-As you recruit for. And, put as much effort into not hiring jerks as you do communicating support for diversity and inclusion.

"Lots of young people"

I have been working at Okta full-time

Pros

University recruiter does a good job of recruiting the best young folks out there.

Cons

Lack of transparency in middle management,