Okuma Reviews | Glassdoor

Okuma Reviews

3.9
Junro Kashiwa

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Best company that I have ever worked for"

Former Employee - Inside Sales in Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - Inside Sales in Charlotte, NC

Pros

Great benefits, Family Focused, great upward mobility. Tuition Reimbursement. I worked for OKUMA from 1988 to 1997. It was the best professional experience that I have ever had. I had great mentors in Mr Nakano and Noble Tokomoru ( I know I probably spelled his name wrong). I worked as a warehouseman, assembler, QC technician, Mfg Engineering, Sales and the Rebuild unit. Any and everything that I asked to do they provided me an oppty to do it. They paid for my of my degrees/ Associates, Undergraduate and Masters Degree. Was able to use that experience and education to become a Big Five Consultant.

The friendships that I made at this company have proven to be lifelong relationships. Okuma really cares for its people and their success. I would recommend to anyone looking for a challenging opportunity with a high tech company that values family and teamwork.

Cons

They could pay a little better in terms of salary. The benefits at least during the time that I worked there were great. The upper level leadership often could have some pretty mean and contentious meetings. I remember some of these from my time in sales

Advice to Management

The American Component of the management team could tone it down a little

2. "Inside Sales Intern"

Former Employee - Inside Sales Intern in Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - Inside Sales Intern in Charlotte, NC

I worked at Okuma (Less than a year)

Pros

Good pay and great people

Cons

Older crowd and I wasn't interested in manufacturing

3. "No hard jobs in company"

I have been working at Okuma full-time

Pros

Small amount of employees at this site. Good benefits

Cons

Limited possibilities of advancement and raises

Advice to Management

better evaluation for employees and more pay for performance

4. "Engineering"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at Okuma full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Good people to work with. Decent benefits. Stable work.

Cons

Promotions not based on qualifications. Managers are "Yes" men. Raises not very good (2-3%) even in good years. Review process is merely more paperwork for employees and manager.

5. "Great Company"

Current Employee - North Carolina in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - North Carolina in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at Okuma full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great people. Great product - Okuma Machine Tools last 20+ years and hold the same tight tolerance they did when first installed.

Cons

Most of management has been with the company 20+ years, which can be good, but can also leave some things stuck in the past.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work, great integration with the Japanese parent.

"Great employees who are devoted to a company that has been operating too long to operate like a startup."

Former Employee - Manager in Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - Manager in Charlotte, NC

Pros

The comaraderie is exceptional. The mfg environment is clean and organized. The total rewards program seems to be on matching external salaries and leading in benefits. The Japanese PCNs are wonderful to work for and enjoy the mentor roll. As expected, they are slow, methodical, calculating and protective of the Mother company's assets. Their American counterparts shoot from the hip so it creates a synergy that works most of the time. Small, intimate company. Close relationship with the distributors and end-users who often describe Okuma's service as "better than the others" instead of provider of excellence. They offer the best, most reliable products in the market.

Cons

silo functioning with little cross-communication. Short-term results oriented. As many hours as you want to work with little recognition if you go above and beyond, so you must be self-satisfied at a job well done. Disappointing, as there are many opportunities for improvements but they seem happy with the status quo. No succession planning. Strong monthly sales quota oriented to the exclusion of common sense and costs to achieve them. Strong, smart CEO who would be better over the Sales function than running the company.

Advice to Management

There is little line-of-sight between organizational goals and payoff to workers. Okuma values hard work, but not working smartly. Goals are generally developed as a response to sudden circumstances (a bad sales month) or IMTS (trade show). There is little empathy with Okuma's distributors; Okuma dictates but doesn't design their processes around distributor needs and therefore can't offer the tools to make them more efficient. Communication is not the result of design or strategy and there are no visible attempts at Organizational Development. There are few org goals or periodic feedback on progress being made toward them (except sales quotas).

7. "Area Manager"

Current Employee - Area Manager in Krefeld (Germany)
    Current Employee - Area Manager in Krefeld (Germany)

I have been working at Okuma full-time

Pros

Generally the employees are good and it make fun to work together with them and the management does not push you hard to achieve your target.

Cons

There is generally no clear position of the management and they always say lets discuss this case by case.
    Generally the employees are 9 to 4 and that does not makes fun to work with.

Advice to Management

Be more straight and stick to that. If the employees have a good idea support them, they are those who makes the turn over and the satisfaction of the end customers.