Olan Mills Reviews | Glassdoor

2.7
Olan Mills founder Olan Mills II
Olan Mills II

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Pay is good on average as a photographer (in 11 reviews)

• Great job for photographer who love to take pictures (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • This includes picking out the pictures etc (in 7 reviews)

• company won't spend money on descent cameras or props (backgrounds and (in 4 reviews)

1. "Good company"

Current Employee - Studio Manager in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Studio Manager in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Olan Mills full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good training. Low stress....not a high pressure job. Friendly co workers. Clean environment. Clear policy and job expectations. Not micromanage.

Cons

Low pay. Skeleton staff so extremely difficult to request time off. Poor benefits. No room for and/or very discouraged from thinking outside the box

Advice to Management

Take employee input

2. "District Manager"

Former Employee - District Manager in Kansas City, MO
    Former Employee - District Manager in Kansas City, MO

I worked at Olan Mills full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Olan Mills was a very family focused company. It was a were employee's were encouraged to share their opinions and to work together for improving the status quo

Cons

Company closed down in 2013

3. "Miss this place!"

Former Employee - District Manager in Dayton, OH
    Former Employee - District Manager in Dayton, OH

I worked at Olan Mills full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The people were the best part of this job. The only reason I left was because of a bad manager. I made lifelong friendships there. Truly a lot of fun too.

Cons

Terrible micromanager at the end. People take their eyes off the big picture and start to focus on little things and everyone suffers.

Advice to Management

I think it's obvious since a company that was started during the Great Depression is now out of business. Sad!

4. "too little money"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

I worked at Olan Mills full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Entertained well in the setting.

Cons

Even the best Pro that had survived for years doing this skill could no longer make a liveable wage. Most people had to go on to other kinds of work to survive. tHAT WAS 2012. Was hired for full time but many gaps in the travel that didn't even come close to a balanced 40 hour work week every week.

Advice to Management

Purchase what you can for gear in the USA. Find a way for the employee to earn a livable wage.

5. "Good for aspiring photographers"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in New York, NY

I worked at Olan Mills part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Experience was great and you were able to meet a lot of people.

Cons

It could've paid more but it was a good gig for students.

6. "Sales"

I worked at Olan Mills full-time (More than a year)

Pros

They give total freedom and independence

Cons

The compensation was not very high

7. "A scam for you and your loved ones to enjoy!"

Pros

Technically, I worked for Lifetouch. The only real pro was making people happy. And for me, that was worth the sad paycheck. I love being active and I love doing it for the benefit of other people. As a photographer, I learned a whole lot about posing and framing. Oh I would Like to give a special thanks to one of the people in Upper Management: Barbara was very helpful during a transition with my manager and she also boost my confidence in working with her. I would gladly work with her again!

Cons

Where do I start...
    Christmas Season: You get 10 minutes to take 20-35 images. That's right, 10 minutes! And in those 10 minutes you need to: set up the background, set up props, pose 3 different times (minimum), change to a different background, pose another 3-6 times, and clean up props. Then, the company expects you to sell their highest package of $250 for those sad 10 minutes. Of course you are going to try to sell it, cause you get a whopping $7, sorry, $8 during the Christmas season. And if you are lucky enough to sell to them and get the $8, you have to try to sell it to them in...(can you guess?) 10 minutes. With that entails: Deleting duplicates or bad/disliked images, making enhancements while explaining what they are, explaining all of the packages they have (that is not including explaining their coupon), explaining the packages AGAIN because there are too many and too confusing for people at first glance, THEN, you have to wait (patiently) for the customer to make up their minds on what package and pictures they want, and FINALLY print their selected images. I will also include that choosing pictures alone takes the customer between 5 minutes-to an hour! This company is a scam to bring in the poor and purge every penny out of them for images that are taken by (most of the time) people who have never held a DSLR in their life. Which, in that aspect, can be a good thing for people trying to get started in that line of work. But the company falsely advertises that they are a "professional" photography business. Because you have the equipment, does not make you and your co-workers professional. Of course, this scam would work a whole lot better if they didn't have 10 different coupons 24/7.

Advice to Management

Even though Management will ignore any advise given to them, I will give advice just the same.
    First: Customers should choose what packages they are thinking about when they book the appointment. Customers are uneasy when they come in because they are unsure of what they will be charged. Uneasy Customers = Fake/Bad Smiles = Unhappy Customers = Low/No Sale.
    Second: Families should get at least 30 minutes in the studio, and 30 minutes choosing images.
    Third: There should only be 3 packages. Not 7!!!
    Fourth: STOP with the coupons!!! It does not take a genius to realize the company is hemorrhaging money because they keep making these stupid coupons! $10 an image is a good deal for a good quality image.
    Five: Appreciate and value the customer!

8. "Studio Manager"

Pros

Fun place to work with a lot of creative options. Creative type job which was the best part of working there.

Cons

Wages and long hours. Especially during prime season which was understandable. No advancement opportunities.

Advice to Management

Wage increases and advancement opportunities for loyal employees.

9. "Life Touch Takeover"

Former Employee - Photographer in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Photographer in Los Angeles, CA

Pros

At least you have a job to acquire some Studio experience for any other photography position.
    Other than that, i do not recommend this company for a career....

Cons

Is Olan Mills still in Business?
    If so, the company is now owned by Lifetouch now,
    but I think they are fulfilling the Baby contracts...

Advice to Management

Treat your people with respect.
    They are professionals and are not treated as such.
    They also have a life after work, too....

"Problems with pay and management"

Former Employee - Manager/Photographer in Detroit, MI
    Former Employee - Manager/Photographer in Detroit, MI

I worked at Olan Mills full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There are really no pros to speak of. This company is a joke. They treat their employees like they are more expendable than a McDonalds worker.

Cons

This was one of the worst companies I have ever worked for. They owed me almost 1,00$ in back pay at one point. Management is terrible, and hard to get a hold of.

Advice to Management

Lower your expectations of employees. Make them realistic expectations. You are a terrible company, made up of bad con artists, who are not only trying to con the customers, but also the employees. Shame on you.