Olan Mills Reviews | Glassdoor

2.5
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Olan Mills founder Olan Mills II
Olan Mills II

Pros
  • Pay is good on average as a photographer (in 11 reviews)

• Great job for photographer who love to take pictures (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • This includes picking out the pictures etc (in 7 reviews)

• as you have to take photos and market (in 5 reviews)

1. "Good for aspiring photographers"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in New York, NY

I worked at Olan Mills part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Experience was great and you were able to meet a lot of people.

Cons

It could've paid more but it was a good gig for students.

2. "Sales"

I worked at Olan Mills full-time (More than a year)

Pros

They give total freedom and independence

Cons

The compensation was not very high

3. "A scam for you and your loved ones to enjoy!"

Pros

Technically, I worked for Lifetouch. The only real pro was making people happy. And for me, that was worth the sad paycheck. I love being active and I love doing it for the benefit of other people. As a photographer, I learned a whole lot about posing and framing. Oh I would Like to give a special thanks to one of the people in Upper Management: Barbara was very helpful during a transition with my manager and she also boost my confidence in working with her. I would gladly work with her again!

Cons

Where do I start...
    Christmas Season: You get 10 minutes to take 20-35 images. That's right, 10 minutes! And in those 10 minutes you need to: set up the background, set up props, pose 3 different times (minimum), change to a different background, pose another 3-6 times, and clean up props. Then, the company expects you to sell their highest package of $250 for those sad 10 minutes. Of course you are going to try to sell it, cause you get a whopping $7, sorry, $8 during the Christmas season. And if you are lucky enough to sell to them and get the $8, you have to try to sell it to them in...(can you guess?) 10 minutes. With that entails: Deleting duplicates or bad/disliked images, making enhancements while explaining what they are, explaining all of the packages they have (that is not including explaining their coupon), explaining the packages AGAIN because there are too many and too confusing for people at first glance, THEN, you have to wait (patiently) for the customer to make up their minds on what package and pictures they want, and FINALLY print their selected images. I will also include that choosing pictures alone takes the customer between 5 minutes-to an hour! This company is a scam to bring in the poor and purge every penny out of them for images that are taken by (most of the time) people who have never held a DSLR in their life. Which, in that aspect, can be a good thing for people trying to get started in that line of work. But the company falsely advertises that they are a "professional" photography business. Because you have the equipment, does not make you and your co-workers professional. Of course, this scam would work a whole lot better if they didn't have 10 different coupons 24/7.

Advice to Management

Even though Management will ignore any advise given to them, I will give advice just the same.
    First: Customers should choose what packages they are thinking about when they book the appointment. Customers are uneasy when they come in because they are unsure of what they will be charged. Uneasy Customers = Fake/Bad Smiles = Unhappy Customers = Low/No Sale.
    Second: Families should get at least 30 minutes in the studio, and 30 minutes choosing images.
    Third: There should only be 3 packages. Not 7!!!
    Fourth: STOP with the coupons!!! It does not take a genius to realize the company is hemorrhaging money because they keep making these stupid coupons! $10 an image is a good deal for a good quality image.
    Five: Appreciate and value the customer!

5. "Studio Manager"

Pros

Fun place to work with a lot of creative options. Creative type job which was the best part of working there.

Cons

Wages and long hours. Especially during prime season which was understandable. No advancement opportunities.

Advice to Management

Wage increases and advancement opportunities for loyal employees.

6. "Life Touch Takeover"

Former Employee - Photographer in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Photographer in Los Angeles, CA

Pros

At least you have a job to acquire some Studio experience for any other photography position.
    Other than that, i do not recommend this company for a career....

Cons

Is Olan Mills still in Business?
    If so, the company is now owned by Lifetouch now,
    but I think they are fulfilling the Baby contracts...

Advice to Management

Treat your people with respect.
    They are professionals and are not treated as such.
    They also have a life after work, too....

"Problems with pay and management"

Former Employee - Manager/Photographer in Detroit, MI
    Former Employee - Manager/Photographer in Detroit, MI

I worked at Olan Mills full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There are really no pros to speak of. This company is a joke. They treat their employees like they are more expendable than a McDonalds worker.

Cons

This was one of the worst companies I have ever worked for. They owed me almost 1,00$ in back pay at one point. Management is terrible, and hard to get a hold of.

Advice to Management

Lower your expectations of employees. Make them realistic expectations. You are a terrible company, made up of bad con artists, who are not only trying to con the customers, but also the employees. Shame on you.

8. "Friendly and Affordable"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Winston-Salem, NC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Winston-Salem, NC

I worked at Olan Mills part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Affordable good quality photos. Plus you get lots of pictures

Cons

They always try to persuade you to add more for more money.

Advice to Management

Stay sweet

9. "photographer"

Former Employee - Photographer
    Former Employee - Photographer

Pros

It was fun. I liked working with the people.

Cons

Driving, Not at home a lot.

Advice to Management

none

10. "Not a bad place to work if you know how to work hard."

Current Employee - Marketing Representative (Church Division) in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Marketing Representative (Church Division) in Portland, OR

I have been working at Olan Mills full-time

Pros

I could set my own schedule and I could do well if I worked hard. The money could be decent in the fall.

Cons

The business was seasonal and took a few years for me to figure out how to sell during off-season. Being 100% commission this could get rough sometimes

Advice to Management

Management was pretty good for the most part. However, the company sold itself to its biggest competitor.

11. "Photographer/manager"

Former Employee - Manager/Photographer in Louisville, KY
    Former Employee - Manager/Photographer in Louisville, KY

I worked at Olan Mills (More than a year)

Pros

Great company to work for, if you love taking photos of infants, children and families. They will train you to work with their equipment and its steady work as they have lots of great offers for customers.

Cons

I would say that the hours are long if you are the only one there. as you have to take photos and market.