Old Edwards Inn Reviews | Glassdoor

Richard Delany

1. "Best internship"

Former Intern - Front Desk Agent in Highlands, NC
    Former Intern - Front Desk Agent in Highlands, NC

I worked at Old Edwards Inn as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

The hotel is located in the mountain, the enviroment is really nice. While working with the team, the training programs were professional. All employees and employers were so nice to interns. They taught me a lot about hospitality professions, as well I learnt a lot about American Cultures and Traditions. It was really nice to work there!

Cons

The location aof the hotel is quite far away from the closest shopping center.

Advice to Management

Maybe the accommodation for the interns could be a little bit close to the hotel.

"Great opportunity, great company, some departments have huge problems."

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern in Highlands, NC
    Former Intern - Anonymous Intern in Highlands, NC

I worked at Old Edwards Inn as an intern

Pros

Excellent company to work for, internship teaches a lot about high level customer service at 5* level. Excellent tips in certain departments.

Cons

Some managers were poor (one on a self-aggrandizing quest, another incompetent as a manager). Many times staff were over worked due to not enough employees in the department (14 hour days, 6 days per week). Breaks were rare.

Advice to Management

Treat employees like humans, don't take advantage of interns. Make sure you have enough employees, don't expect 100% from employees if they have to work 80 hours per week.

3. "Server"

Former Employee - Server in Highlands, NC

I worked at Old Edwards Inn full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Get to work with top rated professionals
    Privately owned
    Wonderful food wine and service
    Chances to move up in the company

Cons

Tons of side work
    They bring in People from all over the world to work the summer, and fall season which makes it hard to make a living without putting in mega hours

Advice to Management

Take care of your local help first and foremost

5. "Good company, Horrible Managers"

Former Employee - Server in Highlands, NC

Pros

Great benefits, and the owners try to take care of their employees

Cons

The mid level managers take themselves a little too seriously, are demanding, and don't take care of their employees. Particularly at the country club.

Advice to Management

Get some training on better treatment of your staff. Learn to be a leader, not a boss.

6. "Working as a Front Desk Associate"

Current Intern - Front Desk Agent in Highlands, NC
    Current Intern - Front Desk Agent in Highlands, NC

I have been working at Old Edwards Inn as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

- The people you work with are very nice.
    - They are very understanding and will help you.
    - Very thorough transitional program to get you settled in.
    - All the tools are available to work with.
    - The company hierarchy is more or less horizontal than vertical

Cons

- A contract is given but is never followed.
    - Can get autonomous
    - Not much upward mobility.

Advice to Management

Follow the contract, and if there is a promise that management has made -- Keep it. There has been many instances where interns have gone to management about a specific problem and it is only dealt with after countless other meetings with managers to remind them.

7. "The "Work Family""

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Highlands, NC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Highlands, NC

I worked at Old Edwards Inn full-time (More than a year)

Pros

This is an exceptional company. Everyday at work was another day to do what you love and to be around people who really care about you and your well-being. When I began working for OEI I was fresh out of high school without a lick of experience in the hospitality industry. The Old Edwards family helped me grow into a professional with outstanding knowledge of customer service and I know the relationships I made there will follow me in my career forever.

Cons

The only con I can think of is they're reliance on interns from universities and management schools. Most of the interns are only there for 6-8 months; they cannot be properly trained in that amount of time which hurts the core staff.

Advice to Management

They need to lower the amount of part time interns (not saying get ride of the program, it is an amazing learning experience for both intern and staff) and raise the number of full time employees.

"great guest experience...not so good career experience"

Former Employee - Massage Therapist in Highlands, NC
    Former Employee - Massage Therapist in Highlands, NC

I worked at Old Edwards Inn part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Guests rave about this resort. OEI is a breath-taking beautiful resort. I was a massage therapist at the spa and I didn't even know spas this luxurious existed before working here. Every detail has been thought of as the beloved owners have done most of the decorating. Compared to other jobs in the community and industry in general OEI is very generous with compensation. I actually loved my job for the first few months until reality set in.

Cons

I was a part time massage therapist for over a year and I pushed myself until my body literally couldn't take it any more. The spa gets busier every year which is great until guests feel that the spa is crowed and overbooked and the therapists are burnt out and exhausted. Full time for a therapist is about 25 hours a week so it is insane that full time therapists perform over 35 hours of massage a week. Guests don't get a a relaxing healing experience if they are the 8th client a exhausted massage therapist sees that day. I also couldn't stand the factory style work environment. In order for the spa to run smoothly appointments were on a water tight schedule. Therapists literally have 50 minuets to pick up a guest, introduce themselves, put the guest at ease, find out that guests needs, perform a massage, and then get that guest off the table and back to the locker rooms. If I were a guest who is paying hundreds of dollars to receive a 50 minuet massage i would be furious for not getting every minuet i paid for.

I also want to warn potential therapists about all the scheduling screw ups. For example on more than one occasion I would check my schedule and find that someone had scheduled me for a client either before or after the time i was supposed to be at work. I tried my best to get to the bottom of this and never did and it never stopped happening. This was extremely disrespectful and stressful because I would have to track some one down who could fix it. It would be one thing if some one would ask me to stay late or come in early but its a whole other story when no one bothers to ask.

I really hope these points help to inform new employees to make wise decisions about working here.

Advice to Management

There should NEVER be a situation where management changes a schedule, a lunch break, a day off, etc without asking the employee first. This is completely unacceptable, disrespectful, and the main reason why I quit. I hope management uses this information to get its act together and help slow the turn over rate and provide the same healthy environment for employees as it does for guests.

9. "The best job ever"

Former Employee - Executive Banquet Chef in Highlands, NC
    Former Employee - Executive Banquet Chef in Highlands, NC

I worked at Old Edwards Inn full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The staff and managers are helpful and push you to being successful in every way possible.

Cons

The mountain is not big enough for the company to expand.

Advice to Management

I hope the original team is there to give you the ultimate experience.

10. "True southern Hospitality for guests, but a strict corporate culture for the employees"

Former Employee - Madison's/Winegarden Server in Highlands, NC
    Former Employee - Madison's/Winegarden Server in Highlands, NC

Pros

A company that makes rich peoples' dreams come true- by providing the best possible experience every guest could have. In this, you can really learn the skills necessary to make the hospitality industry more personal and intimate- real southern hospitality. Good benefits after a year..

Cons

Just like most small corporations with big corporate mentalities, everyone aside from management are replaceable. Your expected to put your job ahead of your life outside the company ( although I think most corps expect this, they just don't admit to it). And since the guests' experience is number one on the agenda, your needs will likely take a backseat to theirs.

Advice to Management

Realize the worth in all your employees.

11. "Banquet Server"

I worked at Old Edwards Inn full-time

Pros

The staff were wonderful, and the events were incredibly elaborate. I have gained the highest quality of experience in the Hospitality and Tourism industry through working at this company.

Cons

The job is not for the faint of heart and for those desiring to do nothing for your money. They desire to have hard workers who can perform in a fast-paced environment whilst keeping a professional demeanor in front of guests as well as behind the scenes. This can be a hard job to start, but as time moves along you become part of the family.

Advice to Management

Keep up the extremely high standards, but understand that people make mistakes.