Old Navy Reviews | Glassdoor

2.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Art Peck

Pros
Cons
  • There is a lot of pressure to have people sign up for Old Navy credit cards (in 294 reviews)

• Hard work life balance sometimes (in 85 reviews)

"Product & Marketing Specialist"

Current Employee - Product and Marketing Specialist in Citrus Heights, CA
    Current Employee - Product and Marketing Specialist in Citrus Heights, CA

I have been working at Old Navy full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Okay discount. 50% off of normal price items, no discount on clearance. 50% off at Gap & Banana too, plus 10% off of clearance. Not usually worth it when items are regularly on sale for 30-60% off.
    - Pretty flexible hours
    - Not a brain-challenging job

Cons

- Too much responsibility for not enough pay. The Product & Marketing Specialist position was rolled out in September 2015 and is a combination of 3 previous roles: Merchandising Specialist, Stock Specialist, and Pricing Specialist, with no pay increase over those old roles. Base pay remains at $12/hr even after the store's minimum wage increased from $8.50 to $9, then to $10 then to $10.50 with the California minimum wage increase.
    - Spread too thin: There are not enough hours given to complete the tasks required for the position.
    - Responsibilities include leading signage, markdowns, repricing, shipment, and merchandising processes. Often in at 230 am, 330 am, or 5am, depending on store manager and store hours.
    - We often call it Old Slavey. They make you pour sweat, and still tell you you aren't fast enough. No pay differential for early hours or for difficult shipment process. Similar-paying positions like the Business and Training Specialist during the day get the easy jobs, like decorating the break room or recovering the sales floor.

Advice to Management

Dividing the Product & Marketing Specialist position back up would be a good start, at least into a Merchandising Specialist and a Pricing Specialist position. The Stock Specialist position can still be split among those. Pay increases for all levels of management, and for people working early mornings. ADDITIONAL HOURS FOR SIGNAGE AND SHIPMENT PLEASE!!!

2. "I wouldn't recommend this job"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lincoln, NE
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lincoln, NE

I worked at Old Navy part-time

Pros

The people are nice and friendly

Cons

I hardly ever got scheduled I asked to get more hours they still didn't schedule me more. They didn't schedule me for 1 1/2 months which is ridiculous if they didn't want me to work then they shouldn't hired me in the first place.

The job is boring. Time always dragged. You do the same thing.

"Store manager"

Former Employee - Store Manager in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Old Navy full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Get to wear just about anything you want to, discount on any price product, clothes for all members of the family

Cons

Slave drivers, they expect a lot out of each manager but don't support you with hours or money to pay the people to do work

Advice to Management

Proceed with caution

"Working hard does't pay off"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Chicago, IL

I worked at Old Navy part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great opportunities to meet and talk to customers.

Cons

Very difficult with schedule conflicts. Took this job as a part time job and advised the manager that my FULL TIME job came first. They totally disregarded that I even HAD another job and expected me to make up excuses to cover part time shifts.

Advice to Management

Be realistic about conforming to availability when hiring part time employees.

6. "Manager"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Newark, NJ
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Newark, NJ

I worked at Old Navy full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

They pay well, coworkers at my location

Cons

Upper field Management/ constant direction change

Advice to Management

Stop changing your mind so often. Bee proactive instead of always being reactive

7. "Just awful"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Broomfield, CO
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Broomfield, CO

I have been working at Old Navy part-time (More than a year)

Pros

You get %50 off all regular priced items in the store and they pay more than usual retailers.

Cons

Awful communication between managers.
    They will always forget your breaks or push you to work extra long hours.
    If you have the availability, they will schedule you to work 6 days a week, the managers get more days off than you.
    The customers are just down right rude to you and you are not allowed to stand up for yourself (and the managers are too lazy to come out of the back to help you)
    They promise room for improvement and to move up to a better position but it will never happen.
    You are required to push customers for the Old Navy credit card and for emails. If you don't get one Old Navy credit card in one month (doesn't matter if you never even work the floor or registers) you are required to go to a "class" ( you basically just sit and talk to your manager) about how you can improve to push people for this card.
    If you are the main cashier and emails and Old Navy cards aren't doing well then you get yelled at and pushed even harder to where it is extremely draining.
    The amount of work that gets pushed onto your plate for a tight time frame is so mentally debilitating that you will want to call off just for mental health days because the stress is so extreme.
    The managers only care about drama, they are the biggest group of unprofessional people I have ever met in my life.
    They will push you to extend your shifts to work crazy hours or to pick up extra shifts, and if you don't then they will talk down to you so horribly.

"The Marketing department is a mess."

Current Employee - Marketing in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Marketing in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Old Navy full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-Month of vacation/PTO
    -401K
    -Work life balance
    -Location (also a con)
    -Fun content to work on
    -Nice people
    -Possible travel

Cons

-No career growth
    -Leadership is disconnected from employees
    -Leadership turns over every 2 months
    -Turnover is very high across the company
    -San Francisco and Bay Area are too expensive. You have to be a manager or above if you want to be able to afford a Studio Apartment in San Francisco or Oakland
    -Recruiters bend the truth about the company and what your career will be like

Advice to Management

Talk to your employees before forcing a reorg.

9. "Stressful, but fun sometimes."

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Columbus, OH

I have been working at Old Navy part-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Pay is above minimum wage
    -Good co-workers, good management
    -50% discount on full-priced items

Cons

-The people that shop at Old Navy expect everything to be cheap, so they tend to get upset when something isn't as low of a price as they think it's supposed to be
    -A lot of shoplifters
    -Having to promote the Old Navy Credit Card every.single.day.
    -The store is, a majority of the year, a mess
    -Understaffed
    -Dust/dirt all over the floor due to no maintenance

Advice to Management

Keeping the store clean needs to be more of a priority. Also, the expectation for the amount of Old Navy cards needed for the week is always way too high.

10. "Brand Associate"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Old Navy part-time (More than a year)

Pros

the Discounts, overtime pay

Cons

No Hours for college students

Advice to Management

Better serve your employees

11. "Good job if you're a student"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Greensboro, NC
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Greensboro, NC

I have been working at Old Navy part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Honestly the discount is probably the best thing about working at ON. Most of my coworkers are nice. Overall it's an okay job for a student. 3/6 of my managers are genuinely nice people.

Cons

You're lucky to get any hours. You'll only be able to get 4 or 5 hour shifts. They only give hours to their favorites (their friends). If they call you to come in and you can't they'll cut your hours.

Advice to Management

Stop hiring and start giving the employees already working there more hours.

Showing 520 of 3,688 reviews