Old Navy Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Art Peck

3,822 Employee Reviews

Pros
Cons
  • I would say there are actually not too many cons, maybe the amount of pushing to open credit cards can get a little annoying but manageable (in 306 reviews)

• Hard work life balance sometimes (in 87 reviews)

"No future..."

Current Employee - Logistics Associate
    Current Employee - Logistics Associate

Pros

Old Navy is a perfect place to work if you're still in highschool and don't mind working 3 hours shifts and maybe get 12 hours a week. Old Navy offers an ok discount on the merchandise, you receive recognition and feedback once in awhile for a job well done, although the management usually just takes all the credit. The majority of non-management employees are great people and make for a better experience for a first job. LIttle supervision for those people who like to stand around and talk all day rather than work. Management sits in the office for the most part.

Cons

Old Navy gives few hours, offers few full time positions, don't count on being a regular full time associate unless you're in management. Old Navy offers benefits for full and part time employees, but the benefits for part time employees suck and don't cover as many expenses, they are also outrageous in cost and anyone working part time could never afford the insurance anyway. They may pay for a college course here and there if youre a full time employee, but make sure you read the fine print. They do not take entry level candidates for various positions. $38,000 down the drain for school and no where to go.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees, offer more full time positions like you did 5 years ago, better benefits for part time employees that they can actually afford when they work only 10 hours a week.

"terrible job with decent perks, if you like the clothes"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in San Jose, CA

Pros

Good employee discount, cool coworkers.

Cons

Management is miserable. They will skip your breaks and break state laws regarding lunches and overtime. They will schedule you until ten and tell you you're not allowed to leave until 11:30. They treat employees like potential criminals and go through your bags when you are leaving for lunch or at the end of your shift to make sure you're not stealing merchandise.

Advice to Management

Follow the law-- you have to clock out BEFORE you hit 5 hours or you owe an extra hour for a late lunch to your employee.

"Too Corporate for Me"

Former Employee - Customer Experience Associate in Vacaville, CA
    Former Employee - Customer Experience Associate in Vacaville, CA

Pros

Some of the things I greatly enjoyed about working at Old Navy were my associates and helping people out. It was really nice making people smile as I worked the sales floor with enthusiasm. The facilities were decent...our store was brand new and was located in a brand new plaza, so that was nice. Some of my managers were really nice as well. Overall, if you're the type of person who is driven and passionate about sales, and working in a competitive sales environment, this is a great place for you to work. There is opportunity after a year or more for promotion, but that usually involves you devoting a large portion of you time to the company, and having a full-time position.

Cons

Keep in mind that Old Navy is a subsidiary of Gap Inc., and therefore is very corporate-minded. Some managers were nice, but overall, they all were mostly concerned about sales and furthering their careers. The Old Navy Card quota was pretty annoying - we had to meet a weekly quota for how many cards we got customers to sign up for. If you went too many weeks without meeting your quota (which was honestly a subjective process, customers didn't get ONC's with just anybody), you were put up for consideration of termination. Holidays are a nightmare, and company policies aren't really in place for efficient fitting room maintenance or keeping the sales floor tidy during busy spells.

Advice to Management

When you speak to employees, don't always sound like you're replying straight out of a textbook. We employees can always tell when you're being superficial ;)

"Poor leadreship"

Current Employee - Store Manager
    Current Employee - Store Manager

Pros

Could be required to work 60+ hours per week like some retailers.

Cons

District/Regional leadership is not concerned with employees. They only want financial results and refuse to support the stores to make teams better.

Did you go to college to run a register and fold t-shirts? If not, don't work for Old Navy. The hours given are not close to the workload.

Advice to Management

Make a decision! I'm tired of, "We apologize for any inconvenience. Please adjust you schedule accordingly." If you are really sorry, you will learn to plan better.

5. "If you need the money you will do it!!!!"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Bronx, NY
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Bronx, NY

Pros

You can change you availability to work.
    Ioving helping customers.

Cons

the stores is a mess
    hours are not fairly give.
    no benefits for part time.

Advice to Management

management need to improve
    - giving more hours
    - store recovery should be a priority as well as customer services.

6. "Not a pleasant atmosphere."

Former Employee - Crew Member in Fairfield, CT
    Former Employee - Crew Member in Fairfield, CT

Pros

The Store Discount was okay.

Cons

Loved you when you stay extra hours, don't refuse because they'll act like you've never helped, then you're the"bad guy."

Advice to Management

Give store managers training on how to boost the "morale" of your employees.

"it's only good for the discount"

Former Employee - Cash Handler in Cary, NC
    Former Employee - Cash Handler in Cary, NC

Pros

it's only good for the discount- especially the one at Banana Republic

Cons

everything else, really. management there was awful- especially because in my last year or so we lost the good managers. Also, the employee turn-around... as soon as we got a new set of cashiers trained, we'd lose the experienced ones

Advice to Management

i don't think those people are there anymore, but if they are, please get over yourselves and treat your employees with respect

8. "Management is awful"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Columbus, GA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Columbus, GA

Pros

Some of the managers are nice to work with. Lots of opportunities to develop customer service skills.

Cons

The Sr. Management is horrible. He cut our hours so that he doesn't have to pay us for a 15 minute break. He treats allt he employees as if we are so far underneath him we aren't even worth his time. He acts like he is so much better than everyone else that works there. He treats the employees horribly. He has us be "greeters" at the front door, but makes us rehearse what we say to customers before he lets you go do your job. We have to cary the shopping bags in our hands to give to customers, but we are still expected to fold the clothes with our hands full of bags. I have seen this manager literally chase customers out of our store because he won't stop trying to shove a bag in their hand to shop with. Customers have told me that they will not be back to shop in our store because of this manager.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees with respect. Don't only tell them the negetaive. Give them positive feedback and actually treat them like human beings, unlike this manager.

"Been there too long"

Current Employee - Customer Serivce/Logistics in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Customer Serivce/Logistics in San Diego, CA

Pros

Benefits to buy clothes are good.

There was a manager who was a bit goofy and he made things fun. He was there for a year and a half and is now gone.

In the past it was fun, managers cared about you and you got to know a bit about your co workers. Didn't have to ask customers about ONC's or push it like you do now.

Cons

Turnover is bad with managers and we still have to hire more people.
    When there is too many employees, not enough hours. Too many managers just eat up the payroll and they only seem to care about ONC's.

Managers like to hide when there is a long line at the registers and back up is needed.
    Not enough hours when cuts are made.

Schedules are done at the last minute and some people have had weeks of no hours. Tremendous need to do go backs or clean with not enough people to do them.

Advice to Management

Cut down the number of managers and maybe employees can get hours. Find out why managers don't work well at this store after a year and get rid of employees who have bad availability. Don't cut people's hours so quick then when you call them, they can't come.

"It's an "average at best" job for the first time worker"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Fairfax, VA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Fairfax, VA

Pros

Decent pay for a retail job.
    Discounts to gap, old navy, and banana republic

Cons

The managers never stay for long. They quit or transfer to a different brand.
    The store is obsessed with getting people to open credit accounts and not enough attention is paid to the employee's happiness.

Advice to Management

Don't put so much pressure for getting people to open accounts and listen to your employees when they seem unhappy.

Showing 3,822 of 3,840 reviews