Old Navy Reviews | Glassdoor

Old Navy Reviews

Updated December 8, 2017

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Performance based on how many brand credit cards you open (in 333 reviews)

• Little work-life balance, difficulty scheduling (in 101 reviews)

1. "Go work somewhere else - the pay will be better anyway"

Former Employee - Brand Associate in Idaho Falls, ID
    Former Employee - Brand Associate in Idaho Falls, ID

I worked at Old Navy part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Flexible work schedule and choice of different positions.

Cons

The pay is very low, McDonalds might pay more. Although they do start some people out higher than others for no good reason. Lots of pressure to get customers to sign up for Old Navy credit card, with no incentive. If management or their clique doesn't like you, you get scheduled no to little hours. Unprofessional environment where leadership makes jokes about gays and minorities. High turnover because the bosses are a nightmare to work for. No praise or personal interaction, always saying what you are doing wrong, and that you are not working fast enough, not running to get things done. Equipment is faulty, dead batteries, not enough for everyone. Managers gossip about everyone openly while walking around in pairs or nose in computer. Extreme mood swings they take out on employees. No training provided other than orientation to company. Then you get in trouble for doing something wrong you were never trained for in the first place. Lack of communication between supervisors, and they blame you.

Advice to Management

Start treating people like humans

2. "Horrible place to work"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Overland Park, KS
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Overland Park, KS

I worked at Old Navy part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Short shifts most of the time

Cons

Over staffing of managers who breathe down your neck to make sure everything is done immediately perfect. Also intense pressure to get people to sign up for a credit card

Advice to Management

Relax but be professional. I know 3 of the 5 managers I had got fired after I left the company because of their unprofessional

3. "Part time Sales"

I worked at Old Navy part-time

Pros

They're good with giving break

Cons

They were the worst company to work for

4. "Horrible Place"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Huntsville, AL
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Huntsville, AL

I worked at Old Navy part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Discount across all sister brands.

Cons

Everything else besides the discount

Advice to Management

Learn how to be managers and not act like the high school kids you employ.

5. "Think twice."

I worked at Old Navy part-time

Pros

The employee discount and dress code.

Cons

Everything else. You barely get any hours and the pay is miserable. Working here is just as bad as the music that's always on repeat.

Advice to Management

You should be more professional and treat employees like human beings. I understand that this is not a job that requires vast education or skill, but please, treat people like they matter.

6. "Never work here"

Former Employee - Senior Sales Associate in Wauwatosa, WI
    Former Employee - Senior Sales Associate in Wauwatosa, WI

I worked at Old Navy part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Discount, some coworkers, some customers,

Cons

Horrible managers, no team work allowed, talked about constantly in a negative way by management, manager is very extremely unprofessional and rude and should not run a store.

Advice to Management

Corporate needs to step in and clean house. Listen to employees and help them.

7. "Don't even think about it"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Folsom, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Folsom, CA

I have been working at Old Navy part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

You get a 50% off discount.

Cons

Just another company that has a high turnover rate so they don't care about employees. No hours, mean customers, management that takes all the credit for their hardworking associates.

Advice to Management

Think about your employees.

8. "Horrible, horrible experience with Old Navy!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fort Worth, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fort Worth, TX

I worked at Old Navy part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-50% Discount On Regular Priced Items
    -You Can Have Piercings, Tattoos, Even Neon Green Hair, as Long as it Looks Presentable
    -Starting Pay $9-10
    That's literally it for Pros.

Cons

-12 Working Hours MAX For Part-Timers
    -Not Thorough Enough Training
    -Lack of Thorough Communication Throughout the Hiring Process
    -Only Train You For 3 Days, 4 Hours Each, Literally Doing Nothing But Busy Work

Advice to Management

I'm going to try to make this short.

I recently got hired, then quit, because that is the most ridiculous company I have ever worked for.

I applied, got called in for an interview, yadda yadda... It went great, or so I thought. My work experience is purely retail. On my application I put I had open-availability, meaning I could work any day of the week for any time, because I thought they had reasonable work hours. Nope. Just wait for it. I told them my work experience, purely retail. Basically register duties, opening and closing the store, customer service, and stocking/moving product. They asked questions, I answered, they really seemed to like what I had to say. A few days after they called back, I went in, we did paperwork and all that stuff. For the next few days we did training. I liked the girl training us, but it felt rushed and we just didn't cover very much. I didn't understand half the terms they used, nor were they properly explained. After we got the email set up in the time clock, a couple days later I got my first work schedule, it was reasonable. 7 AM until 11 AM, and 8 AM until 12 PM. I was fine with that, but then a couple days later I got my next schedule. 2 Days 6 AM until 10 AM, 1 Day 4 AM Until 10 AM... ON TRUCK DUTY. I never applied for truck duty, they never told me it was truck duty, and they never told me it would EVER be that early. Not in the interview, or when I asked what my schedule would look like.

I talked to the schedule coordinator and told her I was not available for that early, that something like 7-9 AM is the earliest I can do, and that I was not able to get a ride that early (I'm in the process of getting a car, I told them that as well) and she starts reading me the riot act, basically accusing me of lying on my resume without actually saying that.
     EX: "You said you had open availability," "You said you had a ride."

So I basically said that they never told me it would be that early, I did not know nor did anyone tell me I would be working that early when I was in the interviewing process, my ride is only available during normal daytime hours (Hello, he has a job too), no one told me I would be on truck duty either. Had I known any of that I would not have accepted the job.

Apologized, resigned, said I would not be available for any of the scheduled shifts, and that was that.

My advice to management is simply:

-Be honest with who you are hiring: Tell them EXACTLY what positions you are hiring for and EXACTLY what their shifts are going to look like (Morning, Afternoon, Evening)
    -Don't be afraid of the fact they may turn down the job if you tell them the truth. You want people to be on your side and to trust you as a boss.
    -Be flexible with your employees like they have the be flexible with you. It should work both ways.
    -Train your employees with your most knowledgeable person on-hand. You want them to know what they are doing.
    -Understand that we are only human.
    -BE SPECIFIC.

9. "Worst place ever"

Current Employee - Brand Associate in Petaluma, CA
    Current Employee - Brand Associate in Petaluma, CA

I have been working at Old Navy part-time (More than a year)

Pros

They will hire anyone which can be good but is mostly bad, they are desperate.

Cons

Management talks about you behind your back. None of the employees follow dress code, no one gets in trouble. Tons of people call out for their shifts and Old Navy tells them they have to find someone to cover them even if they're sick. They talk about me behind their back and don't schedule me and then call me in everyday and expect me to work. They expect way too much of their employees for getting paid minimum wage after working there for over a year. They really don't care about their employees. They mostly only care about selling their store credit cards and we get nothing for it. They will make employees purchase items or apply for a store credit card in order to meet goals.

10. "Good but stinchy"

Former Employee - IT Administrator in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - IT Administrator in Chicago, IL

I worked at Old Navy part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Learn a lot, new equipment

Cons

Bad team, horrible vibe, unfriendly environment

Advice to Management

work more

Showing 360 of 4,281 reviews