Old Republic Reviews | Glassdoor

1. "Underwriter"

Current Employee - Underwriter in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Underwriter in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Old Republic full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Stable company with great co-workers. Comprehensive benefits. Management sincerely cares about their employees and works to make it a great place to work

Cons

I wish I could work from home. I don't find myself as productive in the office. But I can understand the reasoning, given it is such a large company

Advice to Management

Find a way for us to work from home at least 2 days per week and track our productivity.

"An entry level dead end."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at Old Republic full-time (More than a year)

Pros

This is a pretty decent place to start your career. You'll get good exposure to the insurance industry and the experience is invaluable. Offers good health insurance benefits and a paycheck every two weeks. Good work/life balance but it's hard not to take bad days home with you.

Cons

Starting from the top down, the company describes itself as "ultra conservative". This means business casual attire is required every day. No jean days unless you donate to a handful of causes each year and will be permitted to wear denim on a designated Friday. This also means that the company does very little to invest in its employees or their morale. There are no funds designated for team outings to promote team building, IT has gone above and beyond to block anything that has nothing to do with insurance directly from the Internet and the company protects its upper management members regardless of how they treat their employees. Numerous complaints about management can be filed with Human Resources but HR is pretty limited in what they will do to resolve any issues. Usually the offender will get a stern talking to and will have to apologize to the staff member they have wronged. Ultra conservative also means that the company is still operating like its 1930. Wages are below market standard regardless of the fact that this is a Fortune 500 company and that it is currently in a growth period. High turnover, I mean HIGH. People are coming and going like it's a pit stop. Temps are overworked and seldom hired. The company doesn't invest in training of any sort. You kind of just learn by watching. There is no upward mobility, no opportunities for growth but in return, you will be treated like a second class citizen by your management team for the small one time payment of your dignity. I have seen employees be talked down to so demeaningly by managers and VP that it will make your skin crawl. I particularly feel like women in this company are often kept down and their own growth and skills are inhibited...by other women. It's sickening. There's no investment in employees. Morale is inversely related to turnover rate. It's like a race to get out before you get stuck being the face of scrutiny when someone leaves. It's easy to become complacent at a place like this. You show up, you clock in, you get a free cup of Keurig and you settle in for the day and do what you have to do. If you're lucky, you won't be bothered. You also won't be challenged. You won't be recognized for your contributions but you might get a nice Christmas card acknowledging your efforts. This company needs a major overhaul to get with the times.

Advice to Management

Invest in your employees. Invest in training and team building. Restructure the office culture, make employees feel valuable. Hold management accountable for the way they treat staff. Or continue on the path of high turnover and low morale. Eventually it'll catch up to the company's growth.

"Bare Minimum of a corporate job"

Current Employee - Licenscing in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Licenscing in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Old Republic full-time (More than a year)

Pros

This is a great company to get an entry-level job and introduce you to the corporate experience. Personally coming from the Entertainment/Hospitality industry, I had 0 experience in office job duties- this job eased me into it while letting me make numerous mistakes with very little consequence.

Cons

Absolutely no upward mobility. One thing I learned quickly from those around me- this company pays the worst in its industry. Very little pay. It makes sense, being a company that hires complete novices to the insurance industry, that they pay the bare minimum.

Advice to Management

I would highly suggest attending one or more management seminars or training sessions. These people were clearly put in management positions with little to no experience in working or talking to employees.

"Good company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Johnson Creek, WI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Johnson Creek, WI

I have been working at Old Republic (More than 10 years)

Pros

Very easy to work with, don't have problems with management and they are very caring about their employees

Cons

Still a little behind in times for automation but being worked on. New processes are coming around to be more automated.

Advice to Management

Keep up with informing employees regarding things going on. Sometimes left in dark about things going on in the market place that may end up affecting our business as well

5. "This company is despicable"

I worked at Old Republic full-time

Pros

7.25-hour days. The less time spent here, the better. Twenty words are required for this box, so I'll say that another Pro is that I don't work there anymore.

Cons

I've never been so relieved to leave any place, ever.

The employees treat each other like garbage. You won't believe what some of them say to each other. Middle management, if you can figure out who that is, is completely ineffective. The executives have no idea what's going on and have zero appreciation for anyone below them. Decades-old cliques create an exclusive atmosphere that can't be penetrated by anyone new. Employees in HR discuss confidential matters freely with the horrible shrew in Office of the Building. HR exists solely to cover the company's butt, not to help employees grow. Benefits, salaries, and raises are embarrassing. If I never hear their name again, it will be too soon.

Advice to Management

Ditch the dinosaurs at the top. Invest in your employees! Make people feel like they matter! Learn how to communicate. Design career ladders for advancement.

"Customer Service Rep"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Hayward, CA
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Hayward, CA

I worked at Old Republic full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

none, terrible training, low morale, high turnover rate. Horrible work environment

Cons

Wrong people in supervisor positions, quality assurance is a big joke, a lot of people roaming and really doing nothing.

Advice to Management

create an effective training course.

"RUN. This place is awful."

Former Employee - State Filing Analyst in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - State Filing Analyst in Chicago, IL

I worked at Old Republic full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Location. You can get away with not working hard. I heard many employees watch TV. This place is a joke/dumb and if that's what you're looking for - this place is for you!

Cons

- Salary is a joke. This is not a place for an educated individual with experience.
    - They'll hire anyone - meaning that you'll work next to a theater major who, at the age of 33, finally gave up on his dream of being an actor and is now learning how to work at a desk job for the first time in his life - or - a girl who comes into work bragging about how many girls she fought with that weekend. Those are the kind of temps that walk around the building. Prepare yourself.
    - No room for negotiations - very "take it or leave" attitude.
    - Sexism is alive and doing well in this building. I was making less than my male coworker despite him not finishing college yet.
    - Google this building's address and "terrorism threat" - despite this being on the news, the company withheld information from its employees, never commented on the threat, and asked informed employees not to talk about what they've seen on the news.
    - No one likes to work here and everyone's looking for a way out. It's actually kinda funny. I was told by coworkers right away to get some work experience and leave.
    - No social culture, no special perks.
    - If you're a non exempt make sure you clock in on time - you get in trouble for being a minute late.
    - I was given 5 days PTO when I first started in December 2013. Who does that?

Please do not work here.

Advice to Management

I've already said all I have to say to my managers throughout my time at old republic. The CEO will continue to employee his buddies to be on the board and he will continue to smoke cigars on the top floor. Can you blame him? He makes millions and doesn't do anything. There is no way that this company is going to be thrive in a few years - take your stock out of this company immediately! Runnnnnnn!!

8. "It's been awhile...worked there in 2004"

Current Employee - Within Corporate in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Within Corporate in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Old Republic full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I was able to help out in another department and the experience helped me find a new job with another company.

Cons

Very corporate and conservative. Not big on communication with the company as a whole. Not everyone had a computer and/or email and internet.

Advice to Management

Loosen up.

"It was good for the experience."

Current Employee - Receptionist in Pasadena, CA
    Current Employee - Receptionist in Pasadena, CA

I have been working at Old Republic full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great co workers and work environment.

Cons

The chances for someone to grow within the company is probably slim to none.

Advice to Management

Need more structure.

"Miserable place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Old Republic full-time

Pros

The location is okay. Near lots of public trans.

Cons

You know the culture at OR is broken when the first thought you have when you see the lone 5-star review is "Someone was paid to write that."

Every day I wonder, What does HR do? It's certainly not administering employee reward programs, of which there are none. It's just amazing how poorly people treat each other here and get away with it.

Using just one example, there is a person in Legal who shouts, threatens, back-stabs, connives, lies, cheats, insults, leaves juvenile notes everywhere...essentially, she's the passive-aggressive nightmare you thought existed only on One Life To Live. HR has known about her abusive antics for years, yet they do nothing. I can't help wondering what kind of...ahem..."arrangement" she has with her boss that allows her to keep working here. I spend more time trying to avoid people like her than I spend doing my job, and that's sad.

I feel that if I stopped showing up for work, no one would notice for two weeks. People are so disconnected and unfriendly. I don't even know how to describe the culture. Calling it a vacuum almost seems generous.

Advice to Management

Why bother? No one is listening.