Old Republic Reviews | Glassdoor

Old Republic Reviews

1.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Al Zucaro

"Stingy Company That Does Not Care About It's Employees"

Pros

Location, the headquarters is based on Michigan and Water which has a lot of nearby restaurants and is close to Millenium Park.

Cons

Everything Else.

Pay is below market average

NO TRAINING (sink or swim mentality)

10 days PTO (pro rated) with 1 additional day each year.

5 sick days (that go against your raise if you use them all)

Base benefits (no tuition assistance, gym reimbursement, etc.)

No employee recognition

Management does not listen to new ideas that are effective.

HR department is useless in reporting things stolen or having corrections made to schedule/pay. That's if they pick up the phone in the first place.

High turnover due to people leaving because of the reasons above.

Advice to Management

Listen to the ideas that the youth are projecting, this conservative mentality will prevent the company from expanding and create an environment that no one wants to work in.

2. "This company is despicable"

I worked at Old Republic full-time

Pros

7.25-hour days. The less time spent here, the better. Twenty words are required for this box, so I'll say that another Pro is that I don't work there anymore.

Cons

I've never been so relieved to leave any place, ever.

The employees treat each other like garbage. You won't believe what some of them say to each other. Middle management, if you can figure out who that is, is completely ineffective. The executives have no idea what's going on and have zero appreciation for anyone below them. Decades-old cliques create an exclusive atmosphere that can't be penetrated by anyone new. Employees in HR discuss confidential matters freely with the horrible shrew in Office of the Building. HR exists solely to cover the company's butt, not to help employees grow. Benefits, salaries, and raises are embarrassing. If I never hear their name again, it will be too soon.

Advice to Management

Ditch the dinosaurs at the top. Invest in your employees! Make people feel like they matter! Learn how to communicate. Design career ladders for advancement.

"Customer Service Rep"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Hayward, CA
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Hayward, CA

I worked at Old Republic full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

none, terrible training, low morale, high turnover rate. Horrible work environment

Cons

Wrong people in supervisor positions, quality assurance is a big joke, a lot of people roaming and really doing nothing.

Advice to Management

create an effective training course.

"RUN. This place is awful."

Former Employee - State Filing Analyst in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - State Filing Analyst in Chicago, IL

I worked at Old Republic full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Location. You can get away with not working hard. I heard many employees watch TV. This place is a joke/dumb and if that's what you're looking for - this place is for you!

Cons

- Salary is a joke. This is not a place for an educated individual with experience.
    - They'll hire anyone - meaning that you'll work next to a theater major who, at the age of 33, finally gave up on his dream of being an actor and is now learning how to work at a desk job for the first time in his life - or - a girl who comes into work bragging about how many girls she fought with that weekend. Those are the kind of temps that walk around the building. Prepare yourself.
    - No room for negotiations - very "take it or leave" attitude.
    - Sexism is alive and doing well in this building. I was making less than my male coworker despite him not finishing college yet.
    - Google this building's address and "terrorism threat" - despite this being on the news, the company withheld information from its employees, never commented on the threat, and asked informed employees not to talk about what they've seen on the news.
    - No one likes to work here and everyone's looking for a way out. It's actually kinda funny. I was told by coworkers right away to get some work experience and leave.
    - No social culture, no special perks.
    - If you're a non exempt make sure you clock in on time - you get in trouble for being a minute late.
    - I was given 5 days PTO when I first started in December 2013. Who does that?

Please do not work here.

Advice to Management

I've already said all I have to say to my managers throughout my time at old republic. The CEO will continue to employee his buddies to be on the board and he will continue to smoke cigars on the top floor. Can you blame him? He makes millions and doesn't do anything. There is no way that this company is going to be thrive in a few years - take your stock out of this company immediately! Runnnnnnn!!

"Paralyzed by red tape"

I have been working at Old Republic full-time

Pros

Stable over the long run.

Cons

Micromanaged by upper management and all decisions large and small must go through CEO.

Advice to Management

Empower your workforce.

"Miserable place to work"

I have been working at Old Republic full-time

Pros

The location is okay. Near lots of public trans.

Cons

You know the culture at OR is broken when the first thought you have when you see the lone 5-star review is "Someone was paid to write that."

Every day I wonder, What does HR do? It's certainly not administering employee reward programs, of which there are none. It's just amazing how poorly people treat each other here and get away with it.

Using just one example, there is a person in Legal who shouts, threatens, back-stabs, connives, lies, cheats, insults, leaves juvenile notes everywhere...essentially, she's the passive-aggressive nightmare you thought existed only on One Life To Live. HR has known about her abusive antics for years, yet they do nothing. I can't help wondering what kind of...ahem..."arrangement" she has with her boss that allows her to keep working here. I spend more time trying to avoid people like her than I spend doing my job, and that's sad.

I feel that if I stopped showing up for work, no one would notice for two weeks. People are so disconnected and unfriendly. I don't even know how to describe the culture. Calling it a vacuum almost seems generous.

Advice to Management

Why bother? No one is listening.

"Get out before complacency dumbs you down."

Former Employee - Actuarial in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Actuarial in Chicago, IL

I worked at Old Republic full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Location. Used to be good stability, but for the last 4 years, see Cons.

Cons

HR turns the other way when evidence of temper tantrums and profanity from a department head was presented. Promotion works if you sleep with the boss.
    Senior management believes in the sugar coating their department heads tell them.

Advice to Management

Pay attention to the blatant lack of ethics of your AVPs.

"Sad and WEIRD"

I have been working at Old Republic full-time

Pros

Good location near Metra, L, and bus lines.

Cons

The strangest company culture I've ever experienced. There is no sense of belonging here. There is no intranet, no team building (no one even uses the word "team"), no career tracks, no interaction with employees on other floors of the same building, no rewards for good performance, no social events or holiday celebrations, no communication, no...nothing. Low salaries. Lots of sexism, bad attitudes, and poor performers that have been here for 30+ years. Everything is a secret. I show up every day, do what I'm supposed to do, and go home. I've never worked anywhere so odd.

Advice to Management

Build an intranet. Make employees aware of how they can move up. Post job openings nationwide. COMMUNICATE with your employees. Sack the people with nasty attitudes who've done nothing but hold down the same chair for decades. Update the ancient IT system. Don't claim that you can't afford decent salary increases and then spend $millions on marble lobbies. Make people feel like they matter!

"A company that does not move forward."

I worked at Old Republic full-time

Pros

The office location; offer benefits

Cons

IT is not current; salary is low

"Worst place I have ever worked in my life -- Yes, really."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at Old Republic full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Location is good -- on Michigan avenue and centrally located.

Cons

The people I worked with here were just plain mean. Sexual Harassment was rampant and nothing was done about it. HR was a joke. At best it was an extremely boring place. I have worked at a few different companies -- this was by far the worst ever -- a living hell. Keep your sanity and stay away from this place!!!

Advice to Management

The management is stodgy and set in their ways -- so any advice offered would not go far -- I will save my breath.