Old Republic Reviews | Glassdoor

Al Zucaro

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Escrow Assistant"

I worked at Old Republic full-time

Pros

No weekend work, Holidays off

Cons

Negative work environment, unprofessional, disrespectful

2. "Horror Show"

I worked at Old Republic full-time

Pros

Well, they pay you. Not much, but they do pay you.

Cons

Lousy benefits, NO 401k MATCH!!!!!, a tiny amount of sick leave that you'll burn through if you catch one cold, low salaries, no work-from-home opportunities, a group of dinosaurs at the helm, regular memos insisting that you donate to particular charities, and a good-old-boy atmosphere that's just shocking in the 21st century (ladies, you're not allowed to bare your arms or toes or wear that cute jean jacket, but you'll pass twenty men a day in the halls that are dressed like slobs). One woman on the Board of Directors. Zero female executives. No interest--NONE--in employee satisfaction and development. No intranet.

When I got the offer for my new job, I cried. That's how relieved I was to get out of here. Never have I worked with such nasty, punitive, MEAN people. If you're considering working here, it's fair to assume you're desperate. The culture will beat you down until you have no self-esteem, and your skills will rot because you'll never use them. You won't learn anything new, because there's no training; you won't get to know your co-workers, because there are no social events; you won't move up, because there are no career tracks. I can't believe I stayed as long as I did without screaming insanely at my desk.

Advice to Management

Newsflash! It's not 1950 anymore! Bring it into the 21st century, folks. Your employees are miserable--we swap notes all the time about which headhunters are the best.

3. "Authorization"

I have been working at Old Republic full-time

Pros

They show appreciation to their employees

Cons

The downside is that when you work in Authorzations it seems like your not worth anything to the company you get treated like a child

Advice to Management

Bump up the pay to reflect the work, making less than 20 is crazy

"An entry level dead end."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at Old Republic full-time (More than a year)

Pros

This is a pretty decent place to start your career. You'll get good exposure to the insurance industry and the experience is invaluable. Offers good health insurance benefits and a paycheck every two weeks. Good work/life balance but it's hard not to take bad days home with you.

Cons

Starting from the top down, the company describes itself as "ultra conservative". This means business casual attire is required every day. No jean days unless you donate to a handful of causes each year and will be permitted to wear denim on a designated Friday. This also means that the company does very little to invest in its employees or their morale. There are no funds designated for team outings to promote team building, IT has gone above and beyond to block anything that has nothing to do with insurance directly from the Internet and the company protects its upper management members regardless of how they treat their employees. Numerous complaints about management can be filed with Human Resources but HR is pretty limited in what they will do to resolve any issues. Usually the offender will get a stern talking to and will have to apologize to the staff member they have wronged. Ultra conservative also means that the company is still operating like its 1930. Wages are below market standard regardless of the fact that this is a Fortune 500 company and that it is currently in a growth period. High turnover, I mean HIGH. People are coming and going like it's a pit stop. Temps are overworked and seldom hired. The company doesn't invest in training of any sort. You kind of just learn by watching. There is no upward mobility, no opportunities for growth but in return, you will be treated like a second class citizen by your management team for the small one time payment of your dignity. I have seen employees be talked down to so demeaningly by managers and VP that it will make your skin crawl. I particularly feel like women in this company are often kept down and their own growth and skills are inhibited...by other women. It's sickening. There's no investment in employees. Morale is inversely related to turnover rate. It's like a race to get out before you get stuck being the face of scrutiny when someone leaves. It's easy to become complacent at a place like this. You show up, you clock in, you get a free cup of Keurig and you settle in for the day and do what you have to do. If you're lucky, you won't be bothered. You also won't be challenged. You won't be recognized for your contributions but you might get a nice Christmas card acknowledging your efforts. This company needs a major overhaul to get with the times.

Advice to Management

Invest in your employees. Invest in training and team building. Restructure the office culture, make employees feel valuable. Hold management accountable for the way they treat staff. Or continue on the path of high turnover and low morale. Eventually it'll catch up to the company's growth.

5. "Great Company"

I worked at Old Republic full-time

Pros

I worked with and then for ORTC over a period of ten years. I found them to be ethical and fair to both work with and for.

Cons

I felt their needed to be more team building and shared company culture through out all of the departments. I think things would flow better creating a company culture as opposed to a department culture.

Advice to Management

As stated in the cons; I would recommend creating a company vibe and culture to stay both relevant in the industry and the structure of the company.

"Bare Minimum of a corporate job"

Current Employee - Licenscing in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Licenscing in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Old Republic full-time (More than a year)

Pros

This is a great company to get an entry-level job and introduce you to the corporate experience. Personally coming from the Entertainment/Hospitality industry, I had 0 experience in office job duties- this job eased me into it while letting me make numerous mistakes with very little consequence.

Cons

Absolutely no upward mobility. One thing I learned quickly from those around me- this company pays the worst in its industry. Very little pay. It makes sense, being a company that hires complete novices to the insurance industry, that they pay the bare minimum.

Advice to Management

I would highly suggest attending one or more management seminars or training sessions. These people were clearly put in management positions with little to no experience in working or talking to employees.

7. "Underwriter"

Current Employee - Underwriter in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Underwriter in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Old Republic full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Stable company with great co-workers. Comprehensive benefits. Management sincerely cares about their employees and works to make it a great place to work

Cons

I wish I could work from home. I don't find myself as productive in the office. But I can understand the reasoning, given it is such a large company

Advice to Management

Find a way for us to work from home at least 2 days per week and track our productivity.

"Good company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Johnson Creek, WI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Johnson Creek, WI

I have been working at Old Republic (More than 10 years)

Pros

Very easy to work with, don't have problems with management and they are very caring about their employees

Cons

Still a little behind in times for automation but being worked on. New processes are coming around to be more automated.

Advice to Management

Keep up with informing employees regarding things going on. Sometimes left in dark about things going on in the market place that may end up affecting our business as well

"Stingy Company That Does Not Care About It's Employees"

Pros

Location, the headquarters is based on Michigan and Water which has a lot of nearby restaurants and is close to Millenium Park.

Cons

Everything Else.

Pay is below market average

NO TRAINING (sink or swim mentality)

10 days PTO (pro rated) with 1 additional day each year.

5 sick days (that go against your raise if you use them all)

Base benefits (no tuition assistance, gym reimbursement, etc.)

No employee recognition

Management does not listen to new ideas that are effective.

HR department is useless in reporting things stolen or having corrections made to schedule/pay. That's if they pick up the phone in the first place.

High turnover due to people leaving because of the reasons above.

Advice to Management

Listen to the ideas that the youth are projecting, this conservative mentality will prevent the company from expanding and create an environment that no one wants to work in.

"This company is despicable"

I worked at Old Republic full-time

Pros

7.25-hour days. The less time spent here, the better. Twenty words are required for this box, so I'll say that another Pro is that I don't work there anymore.

Cons

I've never been so relieved to leave any place, ever.

The employees treat each other like garbage. You won't believe what some of them say to each other. Middle management, if you can figure out who that is, is completely ineffective. The executives have no idea what's going on and have zero appreciation for anyone below them. Decades-old cliques create an exclusive atmosphere that can't be penetrated by anyone new. Employees in HR discuss confidential matters freely with the horrible shrew in Office of the Building. HR exists solely to cover the company's butt, not to help employees grow. Benefits, salaries, and raises are embarrassing. If I never hear their name again, it will be too soon.

Advice to Management

Ditch the dinosaurs at the top. Invest in your employees! Make people feel like they matter! Learn how to communicate. Design career ladders for advancement.