Old Republic Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Al Zucaro

1. "Great Company"

I worked at Old Republic full-time

Pros

I worked with and then for ORTC over a period of ten years. I found them to be ethical and fair to both work with and for.

Cons

I felt their needed to be more team building and shared company culture through out all of the departments. I think things would flow better creating a company culture as opposed to a department culture.

Advice to Management

As stated in the cons; I would recommend creating a company vibe and culture to stay both relevant in the industry and the structure of the company.

"Bare Minimum of a corporate job"

Current Employee - Licenscing in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Licenscing in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Old Republic full-time (More than a year)

Pros

This is a great company to get an entry-level job and introduce you to the corporate experience. Personally coming from the Entertainment/Hospitality industry, I had 0 experience in office job duties- this job eased me into it while letting me make numerous mistakes with very little consequence.

Cons

Absolutely no upward mobility. One thing I learned quickly from those around me- this company pays the worst in its industry. Very little pay. It makes sense, being a company that hires complete novices to the insurance industry, that they pay the bare minimum.

Advice to Management

I would highly suggest attending one or more management seminars or training sessions. These people were clearly put in management positions with little to no experience in working or talking to employees.

3. "Underwriter"

Current Employee - Underwriter in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Underwriter in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Old Republic full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Stable company with great co-workers. Comprehensive benefits. Management sincerely cares about their employees and works to make it a great place to work

Cons

I wish I could work from home. I don't find myself as productive in the office. But I can understand the reasoning, given it is such a large company

Advice to Management

Find a way for us to work from home at least 2 days per week and track our productivity.

"Good company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Johnson Creek, WI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Johnson Creek, WI

I have been working at Old Republic (More than 10 years)

Pros

Very easy to work with, don't have problems with management and they are very caring about their employees

Cons

Still a little behind in times for automation but being worked on. New processes are coming around to be more automated.

Advice to Management

Keep up with informing employees regarding things going on. Sometimes left in dark about things going on in the market place that may end up affecting our business as well

"Stingy Company That Does Not Care About It's Employees"

Pros

Location, the headquarters is based on Michigan and Water which has a lot of nearby restaurants and is close to Millenium Park.

Cons

Everything Else.

Pay is below market average

NO TRAINING (sink or swim mentality)

10 days PTO (pro rated) with 1 additional day each year.

5 sick days (that go against your raise if you use them all)

Base benefits (no tuition assistance, gym reimbursement, etc.)

No employee recognition

Management does not listen to new ideas that are effective.

HR department is useless in reporting things stolen or having corrections made to schedule/pay. That's if they pick up the phone in the first place.

High turnover due to people leaving because of the reasons above.

Advice to Management

Listen to the ideas that the youth are projecting, this conservative mentality will prevent the company from expanding and create an environment that no one wants to work in.

7. "This company is despicable"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at Old Republic full-time

Pros

7.25-hour days. The less time spent here, the better. Twenty words are required for this box, so I'll say that another Pro is that I don't work there anymore.

Cons

I've never been so relieved to leave any place, ever.

The employees treat each other like garbage. You won't believe what some of them say to each other. Middle management, if you can figure out who that is, is completely ineffective. The executives have no idea what's going on and have zero appreciation for anyone below them. Decades-old cliques create an exclusive atmosphere that can't be penetrated by anyone new. Employees in HR discuss confidential matters freely with the horrible shrew in Office of the Building. HR exists solely to cover the company's butt, not to help employees grow. Benefits, salaries, and raises are embarrassing. If I never hear their name again, it will be too soon.

Advice to Management

Ditch the dinosaurs at the top. Invest in your employees! Make people feel like they matter! Learn how to communicate. Design career ladders for advancement.

"Customer Service Rep"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Hayward, CA
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Hayward, CA

I worked at Old Republic full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

none, terrible training, low morale, high turnover rate. Horrible work environment

Cons

Wrong people in supervisor positions, quality assurance is a big joke, a lot of people roaming and really doing nothing.

Advice to Management

create an effective training course.

"RUN. This place is awful."

Former Employee - State Filing Analyst in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - State Filing Analyst in Chicago, IL

I worked at Old Republic full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Location. You can get away with not working hard. I heard many employees watch TV. This place is a joke/dumb and if that's what you're looking for - this place is for you!

Cons

- Salary is a joke. This is not a place for an educated individual with experience.
    - They'll hire anyone - meaning that you'll work next to a theater major who, at the age of 33, finally gave up on his dream of being an actor and is now learning how to work at a desk job for the first time in his life - or - a girl who comes into work bragging about how many girls she fought with that weekend. Those are the kind of temps that walk around the building. Prepare yourself.
    - No room for negotiations - very "take it or leave" attitude.
    - Sexism is alive and doing well in this building. I was making less than my male coworker despite him not finishing college yet.
    - Google this building's address and "terrorism threat" - despite this being on the news, the company withheld information from its employees, never commented on the threat, and asked informed employees not to talk about what they've seen on the news.
    - No one likes to work here and everyone's looking for a way out. It's actually kinda funny. I was told by coworkers right away to get some work experience and leave.
    - No social culture, no special perks.
    - If you're a non exempt make sure you clock in on time - you get in trouble for being a minute late.
    - I was given 5 days PTO when I first started in December 2013. Who does that?

Please do not work here.

Advice to Management

I've already said all I have to say to my managers throughout my time at old republic. The CEO will continue to employee his buddies to be on the board and he will continue to smoke cigars on the top floor. Can you blame him? He makes millions and doesn't do anything. There is no way that this company is going to be thrive in a few years - take your stock out of this company immediately! Runnnnnnn!!

"Paralyzed by red tape"

I have been working at Old Republic full-time

Pros

Stable over the long run.

Cons

Micromanaged by upper management and all decisions large and small must go through CEO.

Advice to Management

Empower your workforce.

11. "Decentralized insurance holding company."

Pros

Many moving parts to analyze.

Cons

Sometimes insurance business moves very slowly.