Old Spaghetti Factory Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.2
Chris Dussin

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Flexible schedule, enjoyable atmosphere, great team commraderie (in 9 reviews)

• Fun coworkers that create a close community (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Salad/Soup and Ice Cream-- Free (in 5 reviews)

• Minimum wage and no tipping, often scolded for others mistakes, can be stressful on busy nights but other wise a fun job (in 5 reviews)

1. "Great atomsphere"

I have been working at Old Spaghetti Factory part-time

Pros

friendly co workers
    easy tasks

Cons

inconsistent scheduling
    repetitive tasks
    don't have an direct end shift time

2. "Management in the kitchen was bad."

Former Employee - Dishwasher in San Marcos, CA
    Former Employee - Dishwasher in San Marcos, CA

I worked at Old Spaghetti Factory full-time (More than a year)

Pros

40 hr weeks. Able to work by yourself effectively with the training that was provided. Friendly environment with the staff, it's a team environment.

Cons

No overtime and unfair promotions. Promotions were not based off of work but instead based off the managers favorites and if they were friends.

3. "Hostess"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hillsboro, OR
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hillsboro, OR

I worked at Old Spaghetti Factory part-time

Pros

Short shifts, simple job, discounted food.

Cons

Work goes unappreciated, management is condescending towards hostesses and bussers, some co-workers can't handle the fast-paced atmosphere.

Advice to Management

Don't promise job advancement at the interview if it's just a way of keeping employees for as long as possible. Many hostesses and bussers were hired under the impression that they would become servers in a few months, but the management would hire servers from outside the company and keep us with no advancement opportunities.

4. "Server"

I worked at Old Spaghetti Factory part-time

Pros

Short shifts, good food, decent tips

Cons

Limited hours, new managemrnt, lots of steps to service

5. "Okay Place To Work"

Former Employee - Server in Newport Beach, CA
    Former Employee - Server in Newport Beach, CA

I worked at Old Spaghetti Factory part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Most managers are great with helping out the servers! You'll see them helping out in the kitchen, making salads, making drinks, and asking if anyone needs help.

Teamwork is really encouraged here which is awesome!

Great people! Made a lot of friends working here.

Cons

They schedule you for "on call" shifts and they treat these like actual shifts, meaning that you will have to make sure your schedule is clear multiple days/nights a week just in case they decide to call you in. I've only been called in a few times for these shifts, but if they do call you in and you are not available, you're gonna be in trouble. They take these ridiculous shifts seriously. If I'm going to turn down a babysitting job or an audition just so I can wait around on the off chance you will need me to come into work, you better at least pay me for the time I set aside for your company even if you don't need me to come in. I could be making money elsewhere but instead I'm sitting watching TV because you THOUGHT you MIGHT need me to work tonight.

They will also cancel your shift, give you an extra shift, or change your clock in time very last minute and without warning! You'll have to check HotSchedules repeatedly to make sure you're on time and that you don't show up if they decide to cancel you last minute.

I once witnessed an employee try to take home a meal that was going to be thrown away anyway, and my manager MADE HER PAY FOR IT. Who the hell charges an employee for a meal that was going to be thrown out anyway?

I was triple sat at least once per shift. Sometimes quadruple sat. I was a host once too, I understand that sometimes triple seating can be unavoidable, but every single night? Come on.

Parking is a nightmare! Especially in the summer! You can't park in the lot so you'll have to either park on the street or across the street by the beach. Either way you'll have to pay before 6:00 (parking is free after 6 which is good). Most of the parking is paid for with the ParkMobile app, not all spots have meters so you'll most likely have to use ParkMobile at some point. There were times when I had trouble with the app (connection here is spotty) and ended up getting a ticket because my payment didn't go through. Tried disputing it since it was a malfunction with the app, but had to pay it anyway. You'll have to walk quite a ways, especially in the summer time.

Advice to Management

On call shifts should be seriously rethought or at least used in moderation!! They're a waste of the employees time. It's ridiculous to reschedule someone with less than 24 hours notice and expect them to get the message in time if you don't call them. Please get the host stand under control.

6. "Host"

I have been working at Old Spaghetti Factory part-time

Pros

Easy job, you take people back to their tables and thats about it

Cons

Short shifts and they now overschedule so you don't get many hours per week

Advice to Management

Understand that we can work just as well with less people so we can get more hours

7. "Amazing"

Former Employee - Server, Server-Trainer in Palm Desert, CA
    Former Employee - Server, Server-Trainer in Palm Desert, CA

I worked at Old Spaghetti Factory full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Amazing managment
    All the employees were and are so helpful
    The tips pf course
    And easliy able to move up in company

Cons

Truefully i cant complain about anything

8. "Server"

I worked at Old Spaghetti Factory part-time

Pros

I had fun it was a good beginning job

Cons

It's pretty corporate and can be stressful.

9. "Server"

I have been working at Old Spaghetti Factory part-time

Pros

The fast pace gives you great experience and they hire people with no serving experience which many restaurants won't. They really focus on teamwork so you develop strong relationships with your coworkers. The managers are trained in every position in the restaurant so when things get rough, they are there to help out no matter what job you do. During busy times, you can make decent tips.

Cons

It isn't as busy in the summer time at my location, so obviously you don't make as much during those months. There are always off seasons at any location in which hours are cut and making money is more difficult. It is a restaurant though so if you have never worked in one, try to be open minded. If you have worked in the business before, it needs no explaining.

10. "Stuck In A Time Warp"

Former Employee - Department Manager in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Department Manager in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at Old Spaghetti Factory full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great Opportunity for growth and development.

Cons

The companies unwillingness to innovate is the major cause of its decline. Refusal to update marketing plans to fit today's business model enures that sales are not reaching their potential. Managers are often displaced and left hanging out to dry.

Advice to Management

INNOVATE.