Old Time Pottery Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

3.2
Rating Trends Rating Trends
John Harlow

Pros
  • One week of paid vacation for part time employees after one year of service (in 2 reviews)

• It has some great benefits but overall it is just another retail job (in 2 reviews)

Cons
  • Very Bad upper management overall (in 3 reviews)

• No training and the orientation stinks never really had anyone go over your job description nor what the job entails what they expect of you (in 2 reviews)

1. "Old Time Pottery"

Current Employee - Merchandiser in Daytona Beach, FL
    Current Employee - Merchandiser in Daytona Beach, FL

I have been working at Old Time Pottery full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Competitive wages compared to other retailers locally
    Nice work environment
    Something different every day
    Company is growing and there is opportunity if you are willing to relocate
    Keeps improving after the initial Grand Opening

Cons

College aged and employees aren't as dedicated as the more mature ones

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work

Feb 6, 2017 – Director of HR

We are very proud of the team at the Daytona Beach store. Everyone did a terrific job preparing the store for grand opening last year and they continue to have positive reviews by customers. Thank ... More

2. "Otp"

I worked at Old Time Pottery full-time

Pros

Theyll work with your schedule

Cons

Pay, hours, there not organized

3. "Cashier"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Fairview Heights, IL
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Fairview Heights, IL

I worked at Old Time Pottery part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Get to know all kinds of people's

Cons

Doing the uploading item that was on the trucks

Jan 16, 2017 – Director of HR

Thank you for providing us some feedback. We will use it to make our company better. Often, OTP Team Members will share that the "team in the store" and the "customers" made their work more ... More

"Old Time Pottery's Vision is Unclear & Management is Unfair"

Former Employee - Stock Clerk in Cleveland, OH
    Former Employee - Stock Clerk in Cleveland, OH

I worked at Old Time Pottery full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

This is a good place to work if you're a student on break. You can pick up some work expirence in a limited time.

You'll be able to pick up vision and dental pretty easily. It's pretty cheap and not the greatest, but it's better than nothing.

It's a job. If you have bills to pay and are very close to a store, I'd recommend applying.

Cons

The Management. I've been through several different Managers and they all share an unclear vision of store operations. They don't hold workers accountable for their actions, very rarely will ever promote within, they have issues with giving out basic instructions in what they want you to do, struggle with communication, and have seen issues with age discrimination.

The schedule is posted on the very last day before the new pay period begins. So it'll be up on a Friday and in the late afternoon at 3pm-5pm. They don't work with you if you need certain days off. If you have another job, they will not work with you and tell you this place is priority. There used to be a signup sheet to write if you need days off for appointments or anything, but they've taken it down.

Sexual harassment. It runs rampant at this store, more so from the management team. There's an assistant who is still there who constantly hits on cashiers, sends inappropriate texts to workers there, has been caught in the office inappropriately with a coworker, and is living with a former employee.

Age discrimination from management. Have heard several times different managers openly making fun of employees who are 40 years of age or older. Letting older ladies work on heavy merchandise for example the iron cast skillets order that come in.

Managers have constantly made working there a hostile work environment. From workers calling off one day because of being sick and cutting their hours bad the next week. To managers just standing next to you and just watching you work.

Unsafe work environment. Several locations in the store have open wires, huge cracks in the floor where customers and employees have fallen over, and every once in awhile there's broken merchandise just sitting in carts for days. One time a customer cut themselves walking past one with broken glass sticking out.

No advancement whatsoever.

Advice to Management

Have store meetings regularly where you can take something from them.

Have an open door policy where workers can discuss problems or frustrations and won't have to worry about retaliation.

Let your employees do their job and hold them accountable. Every worker is like a floater and is spread too thin.

Address the problems, talk to everyone, and come back better with a clear vision of how a store is supposed to be operating.

Jan 16, 2017 – Director of HR

Thank you for providing some specific instances that we can use to make the store better for our team. We aren't perfect but we want to be better for our team and for our customers. If you would ... More

6. "Office Assistant"

Current Employee - Office Clerk in Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - Office Clerk in Columbus, OH

I have been working at Old Time Pottery full-time

Pros

Wonderful manager! Has changed our store and outlook!'

Cons

None really. Retail is always changing. Be flexible.

Advice to Management

Keep things upbeat.

Nov 28, 2016 – Director of HR

That's great news and I'm glad you recognize the positive outcomes that "change" can bring about in many instances. Thanks for your comments!

"Anonymous"

Former Employee - Office Clerk in Tamarac, FL
    Former Employee - Office Clerk in Tamarac, FL

I worked at Old Time Pottery (More than a year)

Pros

I worked with really great people at Old Time Pottery in Tamarac. They have some ot the best staff in the world.

Cons

Managers expecting too much from the staff without enough resources.

Nov 3, 2016 – Director of HR

Thank you for taking some time to leave feedback about your experiences in the Tamarac store.

8. "Great Company, Horrible Store Manager"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Clarksville, IN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Clarksville, IN

I have been working at Old Time Pottery full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good pay - higher then most starting pay.
    Friendly employees - all team members get along fairly well(besides management).
    Doing different things every day - never doing the same job day after day. Working stock one day and cash the next. It keeps me from being burnt out on one job.

Cons

Store manager is horrible.
    There is always fighting and miscommunication between store manager, assistant managers, and support manager.
    Rules change every day on what can and can not be done.
    Store manager yells at employees several times a day.

Advice to Management

Get a new store manager! If it wasn't for the assistant and support managers I would have quit a long time ago.

Nov 3, 2016 – Director of HR

I'm glad you enjoy parts of the job and working with the other Team Members in the Clarksville store. I've shared your concerns with our leadership team. Thank you for providing some insight to ... More

9. "Decent place to work"

Pros

Calm environment, friendly team, opportunity for advancement

Cons

Takes a long time to build your way to full time employment status, have a lot of crew talking behind your back

Advice to Management

If you wouldn't want it said about you, don't say it about me.

Oct 17, 2016 – Director of HR

Thank you for taking some time to leave a review! We often have many great Part-Time Team Members that want to be selected for a Full-Time position, so the length of time can take a while when there ... More

"Family that works together"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Murfreesboro, TN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Murfreesboro, TN

I have been working at Old Time Pottery (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good company that has a family feel. I know my coworkers have my back. There is stress at every job I have ever had, but to know that the people you work with genuinely care is a great comfort.

Cons

No company is perfect, but I enjoy my job & interacting with people.

Sep 14, 2016 – Director of HR

Thank you so much for the positive comments! "Family" is one of the strongest culture components we have, but we also know we have work to do to continue making it a special place to work and be a ... More

"Fun - but expect to do more than just your "position""

Pros

Wide variety of customers, great and different merchandise, good music soundtrack, every day is different. If you have fun employees, the day isn't so bad.

Cons

You're not just hired as a cashier or stock. They'll stretch you thin and make you do everything. In the downtime as a cashier you have to go straighten the store (not a big deal and gives you something to do). Stock? Hope you like walking - they'll call you to the front every few minutes for a price check or to do someone else's job since they have the bare minimum of employees. Cash handling policy is very strict. Just be a team player and do what you're told and there won't be any issues.

Sep 14, 2016 – Director of HR

I appreciate your comments and insights to your job role. You're absolutely correct in being a Team Player is a big part of success while working in the stores. We will be glad to take a look at ... More