Oliff Berridge Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

2.0
James Oliff

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Great Starting Point"

Former Employee - IP Specialist in Alexandria, VA
    Former Employee - IP Specialist in Alexandria, VA

I worked at Oliff Berridge full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

It was a great place to work for the most part. If they see potential in you, they'll push you to go hire and will definitely promote you. Most of the people working there were great, too, although I noticed that the longer they had worked there, the more disgruntled they were.

Cons

Everything is in the hands of a small panel of members (partners) and they seem to make decisions arbitrarily, giving far too much thought to the reputation of the firm (which actually isn't that good) and not nearly enough attention to the needs and reasonable requests of their employees.

Advice to Management

Take Jim Oliff off the EC and give the running of the firm to the younger Members.

2. "Good Review"

I worked at Oliff Berridge full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Parking, Friendly Atmosphere, Paycheck, Weekly Luncheons, Holiday Party, Summer In House Picnics, and Training. I generally liked my experience at Oliff.

Cons

The hours can be long in New Apps and staff morale is often down when it comes to work. Also, they do pay less than a lot of other IP firms from what I've seen.

Advice to Management

They can do more to show appreciation towards the staff.

"THE REAL MZS REVIEW"

I worked at Oliff Berridge full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Exactly what the other person's post said (the one that i "supposedly" wrote about in May 2017). Paycheck and parking garage.

Cons

Yet again, I completely agree with the person who wrote using their tile as New Application Specialist (I think that was the title they used, I briefly viewed that person's review), with the exception of certain people who truly cared for others succeeding in their prospective department. I had the opportunity to work for two departments during my employment here at Oliff Patent.

Advice to Management

Please stop assuming your awareness, of the person posting bad reviews. I assure you, this is my first and only post about Oliff Patent Law. The original post said they worked there for 8 months and walked out, well I worked there for a year and a month to be exact and I enjoyed the knowledge I gained there. Oliff Patent Law has many bad reviews that I don't feel the need to address each one. I'd advise the departments to focus on doing their job rather than the bad reviews someone wrote about them.

"Specialist"

I worked at Oliff Berridge full-time

Pros

If you want a quick job temporarily, its a good place to start.

Cons

Compensation is not very competitive. The actual employees are great but the upper management doesn't know how to divide workload.

Advice to Management

Compensate your workers more and value their employment so that they don't leave as soon as they can.

5. "A revolving door for new applications department (legal assistant)"

Former Employee - New Applications Specialist in Alexandria, VA

I worked at Oliff Berridge full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good people, lots of people right out of college. High standards of quality. Lots of responsibility quickly. If you stay and perform, they will keep giving you raises (although the pay seems to be below the market rate).

Cons

Very high expectations for productivity. Rigid about being on time and when you can leave. (As of 2009) no internet access on work computers and no cell phones allowed to be used in the office. High turn over rate with lots of people jumping ship to get higher paid positions at competing firms.

Advice to Management

Invest more in this department, because even though most support staff (recent college graduates) will only want to stay 2-3 years (despite most of them staying less than 1 year), you can get much better work when you don't have half of the department on some level of training.

6. "Biggest mistake I ever made"

I worked at Oliff Berridge full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Free lunch on Wednesday, free parking

Cons

Literally everything. You will hate this job NEVER apply here. You will be treated like a slave, over worked and underpaid.

Advice to Management

Fire Jim Oliff. This firm will never progress the way it should to keep a healthy work place because the foundation is crooked

7. ""Survivor" is accurate"

I worked at Oliff Berridge full-time

Pros

-A paycheck
    -About 5% of other employees are genuinely nice people to work with ... watch out for those other 95%

Cons

There is a high turnover for a reason. I read the reviews of O&B before signing on, and took the negative emphasis to be a mistake of some sort - maybe a bunch of disgruntled former employees all got together one night and wrote horrible reviews of this company. Not so. Unfortunately I don't have much to add to other reviews. Keep your head down, do your work, and leave when you can.

Advice to Management

Management offered weekly lunches. That is obviously not enough to entice people to stay in the negative, fear-filled environment they created. At any time, your computer may be taken over while in the middle of processing something - this is their "IT dept" performing checks on what you are doing. The lack of trust is positively unnerving.

8. "Survivor: IP Law Firm"

Former Employee - Support Specialist in Alexandria, VA
    Former Employee - Support Specialist in Alexandria, VA

I worked at Oliff Berridge full-time (More than a year)

Pros

• There are occasionally free lunches and the Christmas party is nice
    • Some of the people you meet are genuine, quirky, intelligent and friendly
    • Old Town is a relatively pretty place to be around
    • The health insurance is BOMB (meaning very good, if you're single or have no dependents and know how to use it)
    • Although formal trainings were near-useless, if you are proactive and use your brain you can learn SO MUCH about patent/trademark law.
    • IF you survive, the world of IP is lucrative and your foot is in the door.

Cons

• Your technology will work against you, while the procedures or "the way they do things" work against you even harder. If you remain in the industry, you will scratch your head many times.
    • There is no collective trust - keep your head down and smile/be kind as if the mountains of other (better-paid) employee's mistakes you must correct on top of your daily [insert unsavory word here]storm are not literally crushing you (the paper files are needlessly bulky)
    • Most employees are high-strung, and some are needlessly rude, accusatory and downright disquieting at times. Hilariously, they are often the least competent.
    • Technically there is OT, but relative to an employer that treats their employees like humans, or even emotionally capable AI, it's nonexistent.
    • The turnover is as high as other reviews suggest, hence the title of this one.
    • There was no filtered water or water cooler...really?

Advice to Management

Try to have a greater say in policy developments.

"Attorney"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Alexandria, VA

Pros

Most of the reviews here seem to be outdated or refer to the firm many years ago. A few years ago there was a huge change in the management of this firm, it's not the firm it used to be. Much more relaxed policies, internet, email, far improved maternity leave, improved family health care. Bad faxes, you never hear of them. Sure, if someone makes a mistake and a client complains, it will be brought to your attention. But no one yells at you, and gone are the high stress days.

Cons

It's a law firm, and it's patent law. There are deadlines that need to be met every single day. And there are production volumes that are driven by clients budgets and annual goals, which means there are periods of craziness. You can't get escape that unless you go to another industry.

10. "Attorney"

Former Employee - Attorney in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Attorney in Washington, DC

I worked at Oliff Berridge full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The only pro is if you need a paycheck for a short period of time.

Cons

You will soon leave or be asked to leave. Then you get to explain this blight on your resume for the rest of your career, except to anyone who has worked there. Oppressive, derisive, micromanaging, vindictive, self-aggrandizing partners are the rule. The couple of normal partners who survive there are miracles. The employment scheme is designed to make it virtually impossible to stay for more than a year. They promise you a bonus, but make it impossible to achieve the bonus because they don't give you enough work, or credit you with enough work, to reach the goals. Then, to make matters worse, they make sure you don't meet your minimum requirements by withholding work, and then start demanding money back. I kept track, and at the time I left, there were an average of about 2.5 people a week leaving voluntarily or fired. This is McDonald's rate turnover. They don't care, because there is always another hungry patent attorney or agent waiting at the door who is thankful to find a job. I heard how bad it was before I went there, but thought it could not possibly be that bad. The truth is that it wasn't THAT bad, it was far worse. Work there if you must, but don't stop sending out your resume to find something better or more sane.

Advice to Management

To those who treat the employees so inhumanely, I don't think there is anything I could suggest that would not fall on deaf ears. Management of this law firm is truly evil. The only reason you got even one star, is that this program would not let me give you no stars. I really don't know how you can sleep at night after a day of destroying people. I guess the money you make off their work keeps you warm.