Olin Partnership Reviews | Glassdoor

1. "Fantastic Experience"

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern
    Former Intern - Anonymous Intern

I worked at Olin Partnership as an intern

Pros

Such a great summer internship program!

Cons

No negative comments about my experience

2. "Amazing Landscape Architects - Terrible Business"

I worked at Olin Partnership full-time

Pros

The opportunities for professional development, amazing project work and education are outstanding. Many of the individuals who work there are very kind, thoughtful, and academically gifted people who work hard to pursue their interest's (which is very inspirational and motivating). Requests of any kind to the office are always met with a thoughtful and open responses.

Cons

The business portion of the office is run as if a 2 year old was calling the shots. Owners with no business knowledge, who's main goal is to produce world class landscape architecture (which they accomplish) do that at the expense of everyone and everything in the office (technological infrastructure is ancient at best, staff is overworked due to bad planning and bidding practices by senior management, pay is laughably bad for required amount of knowledge and time input, working hard is valued more then working smart etc.). The lack of systems and process present in the office means that everything is a knee jerk reaction, there is no built in capacity for downside. It It all comes down to the fact that entire office does not value themselves as they should for a for profit business.

Advice to Management

See the above list of cons.

3. "can't complain as a starting point"

Current Employee - Landscape Designer in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Landscape Designer in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Olin Partnership full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

a good chance to work on nteresting projects

Cons

experience can vary depending on who you work with

"Top heavy/overworked/under appreciated"

I worked at Olin Partnership full-time

Pros

The people that have only been there for a little while still have some life left in them. Great reputation within the field. Nice office.

Cons

Too many partners and associates not doing enough work creates slaves out of the rest of the employees. At one point employees were told that 50 hrs/week would be considered normal (without getting paid over times (at a place that bills by the hour)). Laurie Olin only popped into the office once a week when I was there, and is basically retired, but clients want his personal attention on projects still (or at least to see some of his amazing sketches). However, his name is about the only thing still keeping this sinking ship from turning into a full blown Titanic. The office over stretched itself into opening locations in LA and China. Can't see how this is feasible under current structure, with Philadelphia-based employees staying up until late hours of night to make conference calls to folks in China, etc, and the three or four people in LA always one step behind the rest of the company. Current ceo/chief exec Cindy is ruthless--the only thing that makes her attitude and total sense of entitlement palatable to the rest of the company is her amazing personal assistant, Gary. Oh and did I mention the mass lay offs that occured shortly after I left? yeah, its bad.

"Great well rounded experience"

Former Employee - Associate in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Associate in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Olin Partnership full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great opportunity to work on a diverse set of projects. Scales, typologies, and client types. People are very friendly. They support and encourage licensure. They offer annual stipends for career development. It's a studio environment, and encourage mentoring. They are very interested in research and collective knowledge.

Cons

It is a larger firm and it is difficult to get a handle on the structure at times. But they are really open to constructive opinions and I felt my voice was heard.

"Not as expected or as described"

Former Employee - Senior Designer in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Senior Designer in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Olin Partnership full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Location... sadly that's about all :-(

Cons

• Interview process drawn-out
    • Company structure
    • Lack of respect
    • Bizarre atmosphere
    • Compensation
    • Right people are not in the right jobs
    • Too many internal issues
    • Ego
    • Too many hipsters (too many fixed gear bike lovers, strange facial hair, and no socks with dress shoes). You would expect this in a large cool city but come on, this is Philadelphia!!!

Advice to Management

Take a look at the structure of the company, relax and trust the talent that you hire. My have lost so many truly talented people due to the attitude of not caring. Look at who you hire and sort out the ego and attitude problems!