Oliver Bonacini Reviews | Glassdoor

Andrew Oliver

1. "FOH - Hostess"

Current Employee - Hostess
    Current Employee - Hostess

I have been working at Oliver Bonacini part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Really great people to work with. Absolutely love every single person I work with and management is very understanding and flexible. Never really had an issue with scheduling unless I wasn't specific or followed up. BOH and FOH get along very well and it feels like family - then again, you get what you put into it! Be kind to everyone :).

Cons

The service industry can be tricky at times because of how demanding your customers can get. Experience really does help unless you're not the patient kind of person. Hours can get long and you must be okay with doing work that is "outside" of your job description. If you want to move up, you have to show above 150%...

Advice to Management

Great managers, however, some should be careful about showing favoritism...

2. "On the right track"

Current Employee - Event Server
    Current Employee - Event Server

I have been working at Oliver Bonacini full-time (More than a year)

Pros

This is a really successful and growing company with an excellent reputation. The desire to do right by their employees shows. You can see that a lot of thought has been put into training, employee retention, and communication. People that work at OB are generally good people and fun to work with. OB has a good reputation for creating great servers and cooks.

Cons

The company is getting quite large and they need to have a stronger handle on uniformity of training for the front of house event servers (this is important in events, specifically, because staff are often scheduled at venues other than their "home base" as needed). Standards can vary a lot between venues.

There is one event venue that often forgets to feed their staff. That is to say, they won't have staff meal ready on time and servers who start earlier are sometimes forced to either skip it or clock out and wait around to eat after their shift.

Advice to Management

Have more uniformity of training for event servers. The training book is great, but some staff still don't seem to know their stuff. Maybe the training book isn't being followed as it was intended or maybe additional information is needed in it.

If staff cannot opt out of paying for staff meal, please remember to feed them during their shift. It doesn't actually work out to all that much money lost on the individual level, but it breeds resentment and lowers morale among staff.

You may want to reconsider the requirement for female servers to wear makeup. Please have a look at the Ontario Human Rights Commission's policy position on sexualized and gender specific dress codes. This will help you ensure that O&B's dress code and appearance policies are consistent with Ontario’s Human Rights Code protections relating to sex and gender. I would suggest something similarly worded to your current nail polish policy: "nail polish, if worn, must be...".

3. "Hostess"

I have been working at Oliver Bonacini full-time

Pros

There are multiple opportunities and departments for potential growth and learning

Cons

Restaurants often do not have the best hours that are conducive to a work life balance, but management has always been helpful trying to make hours work for each individual. Commission/tip based can be a pro or con

5. "Great company"

Former Employee - Sous Chef in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Sous Chef in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Pros

Benefits, training, wellness initiatives, staff discounts.

Cons

Long hours, staff turnover, personalities,

6. "Excellent"

Pros

A classy place to work. The training is thorough and can be helpful for future employment opportunities in the hospitality business.

Cons

Because it is a big organization, one can tend to be overlooked.

Advice to Management

None

7. "Event server"

Pros

Great pay for the industry, central location downtown, amazing coworkers

Cons

Long shifts with no breaks

Advice to Management

I don't appreciate micro - managing. You have a great team of people working, trust them a bit more.

Nov 14, 2016 – Recruitment Specialist

Thanks for leaving a review about us on Glassdoor. We are glad to hear you enjoyed your time as an Event Server at O&B. We agree, we have some pretty amazing people working for us! We also ... More

8. "cook"

I worked at Oliver Bonacini full-time

Pros

Reasonable shift Nice environment

Cons

Managing problem should be corrected. more experienced manager should be needed

Advice to Management

should be fair to distribute the tasks

Oct 25, 2016 – Recruitment Specialist

Thanks for stopping by Glassdoor to leave a review. We are happy to hear you speak so highly of our work environment. We also appreciate your feedback about your management team, we do have a ... More

9. "Great perks and opportunity"

Current Employee - Restaurant Manager in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Restaurant Manager in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Oliver Bonacini full-time

Pros

Great benefits and perks package. Great industry learning environment. Opportunities to transfer or promoted to other locations.

Cons

Not the best base salary. In order to be promoted, you must jump through the hoops and really put in your time.

Oct 18, 2016 – Recruitment Specialist

Thanks for stopping by Glassdoor to leave a review. We are happy to hear you speak so highly of our learning and development initiatives. We also appreciate your feedback about our compensation ... More

10. "Bad. Avoid."

Former Employee - Server Assistant
    Former Employee - Server Assistant

I worked at Oliver Bonacini part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Looks good on a resume

Cons

Everything else about the job

Advice to Management

I can't speak for everyone, but my experience here was bad. Was hired "full-time", most of the time won't reach 35 hours per week. Mostly it's between 15-25. They recently changed their policy so that every shift is "on-call". You have to call in 2 hours before your shift to find out if they need you. You may be scheduled for 5 days, and end up only working 2. Also, they can cut your shift, sometimes only 2 hours after you start. When you have to work a "double" you might work 12-2, and then not work again til 4:30-9. So basically you've spent your whole day out of the house to earn less than 8 hours of pay. They cut you when they feel like it. There is no breaks. You have a "team meeting" with a minimal staff meal they provide where you have to listen to managers talk about the service that day. You have to pay for staff meals. The uniform is very expensive, you pay. Tips are minimal for SA's and you will do the most work.

Do not listen to the false promises they tell you in interview/training process. They do not care about their employees, they care about profit. If you have other options on the radar, please consider those before you come here.

Aug 29, 2016 – Recruitment Specialist

Thank you for your review, we are sorry to hear that your experience working at O&B was not as you expected. We strive to create a positive work place for our teams. Scheduling and managing ... More

11. "Amazing people!"

Former Employee - Student Management Trainee
    Former Employee - Student Management Trainee

Pros

- Amazing staffs
    - great management team always willing to teach and help you

Cons

- long long hours sometimes