Oliver James Associates Reviews | Glassdoor

4.7
Oliver James Associates Managing Director James Rogers
James Rogers

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Oliver James offers great career opportunities, the company has a solid meritocratic structure where everyone has the chance to grow professionally" (in 42 reviews)

• "Promotions are very possible with dedication and hard work" (in 20 reviews)

Cons
  • "Long hours but that is recuitment" (in 46 reviews)

• "Working hours / core hours are enforced very rigidly with little flexibility" (in 23 reviews)

1. "Great Rewards - Fun Atmosphere - Experienced Mentors"

I have been working at Oliver James Associates full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Summer trips to Mexico, Miami
    - Long lunch breaks to go to the gym
    - Learn from market experts
    - Big client base to leverage from
    - Amazing office on 5th Ave NYC

Cons

- Long hours, but that is what you need to do to be successful

Advice to Management

Keep pushing the growth in USA its very exciting to be a part of it!

2. "Great company"

Current Employee - Lead Analyst in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Lead Analyst in New York, NY

I have been working at Oliver James Associates full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great support from management
    Transparent Career path
    Great benefits and commission opportunities
    Hard working supportive environment
    Co workers are all pleasant and easy to get along with
    We Work building is a nice place
    Happy hours, Team outings and end of year holiday

Cons

Early Start and long hours
    Not much PTO

Advice to Management

Keep supporting and providing feedback
    Celebrate the small wins

3. "Great Career Opportunities"

Current Employee - Associate Consultant in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Associate Consultant in New York, NY

I have been working at Oliver James Associates full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Specialists in the market. OJA have found their success in remaining niche and having a thorough understanding of the industry.

- Coworkers : Most are a genuine pleasure to work with and happy hours on Thursdays/Fridays allow for some unwinding together.

-Management : Truly care about your progression and success. Stew, NYC Director, and CEOs ,Jimmy and Oli, make sure to communicate with staff of all levels from Researchers to Consultants to Management, even if they don't manage you directly.

- Career Progression: OJ make it easy to understand targets and KPIs. They are understanding of the fact that each desk has their own successes and difficulties and provide training at every step of your career to ensure support. Recruitment, particularly in a niche industry, can be hard work. However, everyone has a fair chance of advancement here at OJ. Because they are a global company, there is room to explore working in other offices. They are supportive of those who might want to run a new desk or part of a desk - with hard work and results first, of course. I started at OJA with no recruitment experience and am grateful for the tools given for success.

Culture: Truly a work hard, play hard environment (forgive me for the cliche). Everyone helps one another out. Coworkers are understanding of the need to balance work with a pleasant environment. Plenty of laughter through the office.

Office: Located in a WeWork space in a very nice office

Team Environment: Accountancy and Finance desk is a newer desk in the office (just breaking a year old) that is growing rapidly. Entire team is a pleasure to be around on a daily basis and Jake is genuinely a great boss. Like other teams, people bounce ideas off one another, ask give or receive help when needed, and truly epitomize team work. Additionally, great money to be made here.

Cons

- Hours can be tough, but that is the nature of the industry. Late nights are on Tuesdays but that is balanced out with early finish on Fridays and "Summer Fridays."

- Metrics: KPIs can be stressed to the point that you need to explain quality vs quantity. However, management has done a great job of taking this feedback appropriately and encouraging quality work over numbers for the sake of numbers.

- PTO: Vacation days at American companies suck. That's a known. As a European company, offering a package equivalent to UK standards would certainly be a perk.

Advice to Management

There are high expectations in the business (as there should be), but with consistent guidance and support to employees it's a great place to be.

"I look forward to coming into work everyday"

Current Employee - Analyst in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Analyst in New York, NY

I have been working at Oliver James Associates full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-Encouraging and beyond caring Director & Management staff
    - The CEO’s, Oliver & James, are amazing people and very personable. They visit the NY office quite often and it’s always a positive experience.
    -Friendly, fun and motivating company culture. Everyone in the office motivates each other and I couldn't have asked for a better work environment. I look forward to coming into work everyday.
    -Ongoing training sessions are super educational and helpful. Each manager is incredibly successful and each gives amazing advice - They care about everyone's personal development.
    -OJA is truly different from other agencies. Everyone has an equal opportunity for progression here. Promotions are very possible with dedication and hard work.

-Hour Lunch breaks (1.5 hr if you go to the gym)
    -Thursday/Friday drinks creates a fun bonding experience - great way to let lose after a week of work!

Cons

Would love if the work day could start 8:30am :)

Advice to Management

Continued direction and support - keep it up! High expectations from management are actually very motivating.

5. "Oliver James Associates"

Current Employee - Assistant Vice President in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Assistant Vice President in New York, NY

I have been working at Oliver James Associates full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-Great L&D team who give you all the tools you need to succeed
    -WeWork office space make it a fun working environment
    -If you put your head down and work hard you can make GOOD money
    -You can leave work in the office / no weekend work
    -High performing and competitive culture
    -1.5 hour lunch break if you go to the gym
    -Finish early most Fridays
    -Happy hours and company holidays are great

Cons

-Sales role so high pressure environment
    -Work later on a Tuesday

6. "Friendly Environment"

I have been working at Oliver James Associates full-time

Pros

Everyone is very friendly, people work in a collaborative fashion - there are several out-of-work activities planned by the company for the staff to network, mingle and build relationships with colleagues regardless of what team they're on. The office has an inclusive culture. There is a yearly trip for everyone to attend if they'd like to. This year's trip was to Cancun.

Aside from all the fun, the OJ environment is a good challenge for those who are looking to grow professionally.

-Structured
    -Fun
    -Friendly
    -Results Driven
    -Collective work responsibility

Cons

-Structured, if you dislike working with structure and well defined rules perhaps it isn't for you.
    -Collective work responsibility, everyone is willing to put in long hours regardless of their position to complete a task - if you're more laxed you might not enjoy it. (Long hours if necessary)

7. "Your hard work will pay off"

I have been working at Oliver James Associates full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

OJA are industry experts with impeccable standards. Senior leaders, collectively, offer top tier training, coaching and support and have experience with the challenges all recruiters face. If you're just starting out in recruitment then learning from specialists is a fast track to your career & financial growth. If you're a seasoned recruiter then you'll take some pride in the quality of work you'll focus on.

Cons

Like anywhere else in recruitment- long hours

"I Am Part of the Resistance Inside the OJ Machine"

I have been working at Oliver James Associates full-time (More than a year)

Pros

1.5hr lunch breaks. if lucky, you might land on a decent team

Cons

no support or training involved. massive loads of micro management from supposed experts. no flexibility or trust from senior management. its true when they say this job isn't for everyone

Advice to Management

drain the swamp or risk losing all your good people

Oliver James Associates Response

Sep 20, 2018 – Marketing

Thank you for taking the time to leave this review. Firstly, we’re pleased that you find benefit in our extended lunch breaks, however we are concerned to learn of your thoughts around the training... More

9. "Managing Consultant"

I have been working at Oliver James Associates full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great Coaching and L&D support
    Entrepreneurial environment where I am encouraged to look for new niche's and market angles and build something for myself.
    Hugely supportive managerial team, regular 1-on-1's with my superiors and open lines of communications with all tiers of management, globally,
    CEO's who care and know everyone's name. I personally feel like they are genuinely invested in my professional growth.
    Fantastic future progression, open discussions about new office locations and promotions.
    INCENTIVES! Annual all expenses paid summer trip, regular team nights out, weekly happy hour.

I have now worked for three different recruitment companies, in three different countries and can say with all sincerity OJA is the best one in my experience for a recruiter to have a long, supported career.

Cons

This is sales so of course there is pressure and KPI's/targets - but that is par for the course in recruitment and not something exclusive to OJA. This job isn't for everyone, it requires hard work and the ability to perform under pressure and when you do the payoff is second to none! Anyone looking for an easy ride or a relaxed 9-5 should consider a different industry, you have to be a self starter and bring energy to your work day.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing!!!

"Senior Consultant"

Former Employee - Senior Consultant in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Senior Consultant in New York, NY

I worked at Oliver James Associates full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-Stewart and Tom make the environment fun and competitive. They are both very good at recruitment and have been very successful for a reason. I learned a lot just being around them.
    -Senior Management is very accessible and helpful, from the owners of the company to the SVP's.
    -Promote health, providing an hour and a half to go to the gym during lunch
    -Company happy hours every friday
    -Luxurious company trips (during my time we rented a beautiful home right on the beach at the jersey shore and then the entire NY office was flown out to Miami.)
    -Senior Management are very knowledgeable about the recruiting industry and the best sales techniques
    -They are still growing and willing to adapt to American culture (flexible with dress code, hours, etc.)
    -I found it very impressive how management is able to find a balance between being your boss but also creating a personal, sincere relationship
    -Client meetings are awesome, gaining face time is extremely helpful and it is nice to travel a bit

Cons

-Getting paid once a month makes it difficult to budget sometimes
    -I would switch to business casual, of course full suit when client meetings are happening
    -Instead of doing a happy hour every Friday, I recommend doing one big one at the end of the month where you review the achievements/successes from the month
    -Include incentives/targets for a potential trip (example would be if someone bills $100k for the month they get a trip to London/Miami)

Advice to Management

Keep doing what your doing. It is great that you are open to flexibility and adapting to American culture. It is especially challenging adapting to the new generations of Millennials that want everything now and aren't willing to work to earn it. I strongly believe paying employees twice a month will really have a positive impact on the company. Employees are happy on pay day.

In my opinion, it takes more than a year to have your business up and running. Just being more transparent with new employees might help.

Implement more incentives, gift cards, Yankees games, other sports games, Broadway shows, Bruce Springsteen concerts, etc.

I would also recommend implement a dress down Friday, or casual Friday.