Oliver James Associates Reviews

Updated May 22, 2020

4.6
Oliver James Associates Managing Director James Rogers
James Rogers
Pros
  • "Social events bring the whole of OJ together which is great(in 34 reviews)

• "Strategies/new initiatives are always being devised and hard work is regularly recognized and rewarded(in 24 reviews)

Cons
  • "The only drawback has previously been long hours(in 63 reviews)

• "Most of the frustrations around working hours / flexibility have been addressed(in 29 reviews)

1. "Best overall agency to work for"

Current Employee - Air Force in New York, NY

I have been working at Oliver James Associates full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great culture, incredible earning potential and direct access to the founders. The global communication between offices is exceptional.

Cons

Long hours at times, but sales can be that way. You get a lot of money for putting in extra hours- but it's not mandatory

Oliver James Associates2020-01-31
  2. "Recruiting"

Current Employee - Senior Recruiter in New York, NY

I have been working at Oliver James Associates full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great group of people Fun environment opportunity to grow, by putting in the work Dress down Fridays

Cons

Long days but its recruitment cannot work from home micro management

Oliver James Associates2020-01-02

"Great experience"

Current Employee - Delivery Consultant in New York, NY

I have been working at Oliver James Associates full-time for less than a year

Pros

Activities for the employees each month. Constant training sessions friendly coworkers opportunity to advance

Cons

Not being able to work from home 2-3 days a week.

Oliver James Associates2019-10-08
  4. "A great place to work with all the tools needed to succeed"

Current Employee - Recruiter in New York, NY

I have been working at Oliver James Associates full-time for less than a year

Pros

The business has a winning working culture and promotes strong work ethics. Work is fast paced and there is a huge support system to help you develop. You should join if you are; money motivated, want to specialise enjoy working in an environment that caters to your bill-making needs.

Cons

I think it's a very good place to work - the system could use upgrading?!

Oliver James Associates2019-09-10
  5. "Ambitious, Engaging and Fun workplace"

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in New York, NY

I have been working at Oliver James Associates full-time for more than a year

Pros

They are good at what they do, and that is the sort of environment I want to be in where I can learn and develop from the best. A company doesn't have a global presence without hard work, and skill, so it is great to be a part of it . You are pushed to be better, and take ownership for the future of your career! Alongside the skills you learn here, there is a lot of fun to be had. Everyone gets along well, we have Friday drinks every week, summer trips to Miami and Cancun for everyone. Finally for top performers there is a quarterly celebration where you are wined and dined on the company to celebrate!

Cons

Nothing great came from not having to work hard, and that is it. If you don't want to work hard and smart you probably won't enjoy the 8-6 hours. Every job has its downside, and ours is that you work outside the "normal" 9-5 but the extra couple of hours are paid back in $, parties, and opportunity!

Oliver James Associates2019-08-29
  6. "Supportive managers and fast paced environment"

Former Employee - Deliver Consultant in New York, NY

I worked at Oliver James Associates full-time

Pros

Fantastic company to begin a career with, managers on and across-other teams always willing to help - learned a tremendous amount of communication, sales and people skills and always felt welcomed

Cons

Some structural changes in team were a bit tricky at times but Director was incredibly supportive and helpful during the transition

Oliver James Associates2019-08-28
  7. "Invested Company!"

Current Employee - Team Lead in New York, NY

I have been working at Oliver James Associates full-time for less than a year

Pros

-Management truly cares about your growth at the company -really good investment in the operations team -wonderful benefits & PTO -closed between the Holidays - no micro management -- you can truly create your own business here

Cons

You have to want to be here - as it is a type of business where you need to put the work in - if you are truly interested, and have work ethic this can be a great place! if you just want a job to have a job - this isn't for you!

Oliver James Associates2019-08-16
  8. "My Introduction to Recruitment"

Current Employee - Operations in New York, NY

I have been working at Oliver James Associates full-time for less than a year

Pros

The people at Oliver James are the best thing about the company. If you put yourself out there, you'll bond with them and develop friendships. Almost everyone is cheering on each other in their careers. The atmosphere, although can be stressful due to recruitment, is usually one of fun. In terms of recruitment, we have excellent L & D who are ready and available to help train new employees and keep skills up for current employees. There are some managers who are hands on and will sit with people to teach them what they need in order to succeed on their teams. The other managers will answer questions, but won't actually sit down and explain to you what you need to be doing in order to make it within the company. Recruitment takes long hours and lots of effort in order to yield results. The employees that put in the hard work, reap the benefits - even if they have to figure out how to do it by themselves along the way. Colleagues will be there to help, though. You just have to ask for it.

Cons

It's a boy's club, so people are not treated equally. If you can work with those conditions, OJ will be fine for you.

Oliver James Associates2019-08-27
  9. "You get out what you put in"

Current Employee - Delivery Consultant in New York, NY

I have been working at Oliver James Associates full-time for more than a year

Pros

Supportive and constructive feedback from management Clear career path - and help getting there. Fun, energetic company culture Long lunch for gym Dress down Friday

Cons

Long hours that are not flexible

Oliver James Associates2019-08-07

"Stay away from OJA"

1.0
    Former Employee - Recruitment Consultant in New York, NY

I worked at Oliver James Associates full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

This firm has got to be a joke. I’ve formerly worked for prestigious retained search firms and coming here was a mistake. This company lacks creativity and you will almost certainly be required to be rewired like a robot once you sign up for this place. Ever since joining, I’ve heard endless accounts of dissatisfaction from every level of employee, from senior management to entry level consultants. It’s not a good place to be when there’s at least a colleague in every group planning an exit strategy.

Cons

Everything about this place makes me cringe.

Oliver James Associates2019-07-28

Oliver James Associates Response

August 5, 2019Marketing

Thank you for taking the time to express your opinion. We are sorry that your experience with us prompted you to leave this review. We take the happiness of our employees at any level extremely seriously and can assure you that we have raised your concerns to the appropriate director. We wish you all the best in your future career.

Found 240 reviews