Oliver James Associates Reviews | Glassdoor

4.7
Oliver James Associates Managing Director James Rogers
James Rogers

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Joining Oliver James Associates was definitely a positive career move for me (in 37 reviews)

• I've been working before in the leading international brand-name RA and can say with confidence, that Oliver James Associates does make difference (in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • As with any recruitment role we work long hours (in 31 reviews)

• Working hours / core hours are enforced very rigidly with little flexibility (in 19 reviews)

1. "Managing Consultant"

I have been working at Oliver James Associates full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great Coaching and L&D support
    Entrepreneurial environment where I am encouraged to look for new niche's and market angles and build something for myself.
    Hugely supportive managerial team, regular 1-on-1's with my superiors and open lines of communications with all tiers of management, globally,
    CEO's who care and know everyone's name. I personally feel like they are genuinely invested in my professional growth.
    Fantastic future progression, open discussions about new office locations and promotions.
    INCENTIVES! Annual all expenses paid summer trip, regular team nights out, weekly happy hour.

I have now worked for three different recruitment companies, in three different countries and can say with all sincerity OJA is the best one in my experience for a recruiter to have a long, supported career.

Cons

This is sales so of course there is pressure and KPI's/targets - but that is par for the course in recruitment and not something exclusive to OJA. This job isn't for everyone, it requires hard work and the ability to perform under pressure and when you do the payoff is second to none! Anyone looking for an easy ride or a relaxed 9-5 should consider a different industry, you have to be a self starter and bring energy to your work day.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing!!!

2. "Senior Consultant"

Former Employee - Senior Consultant in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Senior Consultant in New York, NY

I worked at Oliver James Associates full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-Stewart and Tom make the environment fun and competitive. They are both very good at recruitment and have been very successful for a reason. I learned a lot just being around them.
    -Senior Management is very accessible and helpful, from the owners of the company to the SVP's.
    -Promote health, providing an hour and a half to go to the gym during lunch
    -Company happy hours every friday
    -Luxurious company trips (during my time we rented a beautiful home right on the beach at the jersey shore and then the entire NY office was flown out to Miami.)
    -Senior Management are very knowledgeable about the recruiting industry and the best sales techniques
    -They are still growing and willing to adapt to American culture (flexible with dress code, hours, etc.)
    -I found it very impressive how management is able to find a balance between being your boss but also creating a personal, sincere relationship
    -Client meetings are awesome, gaining face time is extremely helpful and it is nice to travel a bit

Cons

-Getting paid once a month makes it difficult to budget sometimes
    -I would switch to business casual, of course full suit when client meetings are happening
    -Instead of doing a happy hour every Friday, I recommend doing one big one at the end of the month where you review the achievements/successes from the month
    -Include incentives/targets for a potential trip (example would be if someone bills $100k for the month they get a trip to London/Miami)

Advice to Management

Keep doing what your doing. It is great that you are open to flexibility and adapting to American culture. It is especially challenging adapting to the new generations of Millennials that want everything now and aren't willing to work to earn it. I strongly believe paying employees twice a month will really have a positive impact on the company. Employees are happy on pay day.

In my opinion, it takes more than a year to have your business up and running. Just being more transparent with new employees might help.

Implement more incentives, gift cards, Yankees games, other sports games, Broadway shows, Bruce Springsteen concerts, etc.

I would also recommend implement a dress down Friday, or casual Friday.

"Analyst"

I worked at Oliver James Associates full-time

Pros

- Great culture
    - Great commission
    - Good rewards

Cons

- Long working hours

"One of the BEST!"

I have been working at Oliver James Associates full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Understanding and encouraging management staff!
    - There is ongoing training in efforts to consistently improve approaches and skills. This ranges from newbies to managers... everyone can always improve.
     - Friday drinks are fun! The people i work with are more like family which makes drinks and work environments not something to be dreaded.
    - Promotions are at your feet.... If you work hard enough there is plenty of room for progression. The uphill climb isn't that difficult to attain with dedication

Cons

Long hours but that's the nature of the business.

Advice to Management

Keep it up!

"Oliver James Associates"

I have been working at Oliver James Associates full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Positive working environment
    - Good systems - makes job easier
    - Good commissions
    - Clear career progression
    - Good training and development
    - Lunch time gym sessions

Cons

- Long hours
    - High expectations from management

Advice to Management

- Continued support and direction required for consultants to achieve their goals

6. "Invested in everyone"

Current Employee - Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at Oliver James Associates full-time

Pros

- If you want to achieve greatness and you're willing to work hard then the company will support you in every way to get there.
    - Clear career progression, no glass ceiling
    - Trusted and respected by senior management
    - Great investment by the business for corporate events including company vacations, nights out etc.
    - A working environment that welcomes new ideas and implements them
    - Huge earning potential, generous commission structure
    - Offer international opportunities

Cons

The only con would be the hours however this is industry standard, it's sales and if you want to earn good money you have to put the hours in to achieve this. The company makes up for this by offering extended lunch breaks for the gym.

"Horrible office environment"

Former Employee - Recruitment Consultant in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Recruitment Consultant in New York, NY

I worked at Oliver James Associates full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Happy hour on Friday for 1 hour

30 minutes extra at lunch time to use the gym

Nothing else is a pro here

Cons

1) Extreme amount of micro management. Continuously asked about day plan, interviews and phone times on a daily basis.

2) No flexibility - strictly tied to your desk from 8am-7pm with no flexibility to leave early for any reason. Management is extremely rude and there is no work life balance.

3) Toxic work environment. No one in the office is a collaborative worker and everyone only cares about themselves

Advice to Management

Everything needs to change. You won't be able to retain staff with the way this company is run. Needs to be a collaborative and friendly environment. The employees need a reason to be driven with this company aside from money because you can make money in any sales job. Management needs to change and show the employees they are valued.

"Great Culture, Great Benefits, Great Company!"

Current Employee - Consultant in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Consultant in New York, NY

I have been working at Oliver James Associates full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I have been working with Oliver James for slightly over 8 months and I am absolutely impressed with the business in its entirety. From day one, you're immersed in a stimulating environment where everyone is hungry for success. Oliver James is truly invested in the growth and success of each individual hire. They provide all the tools necessary, starting with one-on-one training and coaching, a clear path to promotion, strong management support, a great commission structure, and a remarkable office culture full of highly motivated consultants.

Friday Drinks, Lunch Club, Summer Trips, and Company Holiday Parties (all free) are also a nice touch.

Cons

Long hours, which is Industry norm. However, you are given an extended lunch break to go to the gym, which should be considered.

Advice to Management

Continue doing what your'e doing and attracting the best talent in the business!

"Invested in their employees!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Oliver James Associates full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Having just joined the company seven months ago I am absolutely floored by the remarkable culture and business model Oliver James promotes. Unique to many staffing and recruitment firms- especially in New York, OJ treats their employees as individuals in finding the right path to success. OJ offers training and development support as well as transparency and autonomy with everyone across the business. I have been fully supported in my development and can confidently say that the directors are very engaged and invested in their employee’s.

Other positives: amazing resources and operational support, always encouraged to take a creative approach, networking events, opportunities to travel, extended lunch hour and not to mention a very rewarding commission structure.

Cons

The hours are a little long however that is just the recruitment industry as a whole.

Advice to Management

Continue doing what you're doing!

"Best in class"

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in New York, NY

I have been working at Oliver James Associates full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Innovation. The resources on and investment in efficiency is clear to see
    - Training. In a medium size, growing office, having a dedicated trainer is unique. Experienced recruiters learn a lot here.
    - Culture. A very open and inclusive business. High standards of success throughout the business

Cons

Outside of hours which are standard in our industry, this is an environment for people who don't need micro managing. If you're not a self starter, you could be overwhelmed.

Advice to Management

Remain a specialist.