Olivet Nazarene University Reviews | Glassdoor

CEO

1. "Processing Assistant"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bourbonnais, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bourbonnais, IL

I have been working at Olivet Nazarene University part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Take an interest in the employees and take into account that they are also students there to get an education

Cons

none that I can think of

Advice to Management

Keep doing good work

2. "Love this place"

Former Employee - Admissions Ambassador in Bourbonnais, IL

I worked at Olivet Nazarene University part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

It was a great place to work and the people I worked for were awesome. They encouraged me to try strive for higher goals and pushed me to do better

Cons

Some of my coworkers were a bit lazy sometimes and tried to see how little they could get away with.

Advice to Management

Should higher less people to do the work. It felt a bit over staffed some days and we would work ourselves out of things to do.

3. "Great place to grow!"

Current Employee - Marketing Assistant in Bourbonnais, IL
    Current Employee - Marketing Assistant in Bourbonnais, IL

I have been working at Olivet Nazarene University (More than a year)

Pros

Incredible atmosphere with Christian morals and values. People truly care about you!

Cons

Little cons, but if you aren't familiar with Christianity, working at a Christian university may be a different experience for you.

5. "IT Professional"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Warren, OH
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Warren, OH

I have been working at Olivet Nazarene University full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Flexible work hours as needed

Cons

Too much politics in play as part of the "Christian" workplace

Advice to Management

Be more mindful of how lower level employees are viewed and treated

6. "Graduate Assistant Coach (Men's Soccer)"

Current Employee - Graduate Assistant in Bourbonnais, IL
    Current Employee - Graduate Assistant in Bourbonnais, IL

I have been working at Olivet Nazarene University full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Positive work environment and meaningful relationship building among all faculty, students, and staff.

Cons

Partaking in alcohol or tobacco related products are prohibited at all times, even off campus or in personal lives (home).

Advice to Management

A career at Olivet is a real opportunity of ministry, complimenting a "Christian Purpose."

7. "Teaching Assistant"

Current Employee - Teaching Assistant in Bourbonnais, IL
    Current Employee - Teaching Assistant in Bourbonnais, IL

I have been working at Olivet Nazarene University part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I had the opportunity to work with students and assist them with homework assignments and projects.

Cons

The con would have been the quantity of TA's in this position. I believe there definitely need to be more TA's.

Advice to Management

Simply to hire more TA's for this particular course: engineering design 101

8. "POTENTIALLY a great place to work"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bourbonnais, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bourbonnais, IL

I worked at Olivet Nazarene University part-time

Pros

As a university, they really care about their students. They intentionally hire qualified employees who will not only provide strong academics but will truly be there for students, especially spiritually. There are lots of great people, and I think most genuinely mean well. There are several fun events throughout the year to unify the different departments. They communicate well across the board. As a part-time employee, I didn't have benefits, but I've heard their benefits are excellent. And I know many employees feel that it is one of the best places you could work - it is consistently named one of the best Christian workplaces.

Cons

As a former student, I became very disillusioned with the university during the time I worked there. Certain departments and employees are heavily favored and seemingly can do no wrong. Other departments and employees/position aren't well-respected or recognized. And as a heads up, their zero-tolerance for alcohol extends to employees as well.

Advice to Management

If you want your employees and students to believe they belong there, stop playing favorites. Every person - student, professor, custodian, office manager - is equally important and loved in the eyes of God and are doing their part to make Olivet a great place to work and for students to get an "education with a Christian purpose."

9. "Clinical Facllty"

Current Employee - Clinical Faculty in Bourbonnais, IL
    Current Employee - Clinical Faculty in Bourbonnais, IL

I have been working at Olivet Nazarene University (More than 3 years)

Pros

It is a nice place to work and the people I work are very supportive/

Cons

It is only a temporary job

10. "Resident Assistant"

Former Employee - Resident Assistant in Bourbonnais, IL
    Former Employee - Resident Assistant in Bourbonnais, IL

I worked at Olivet Nazarene University (More than a year)

Pros

Lots of great responsibilities and absolutely phenomenal employers who legitimately care. You are constantly reminded that you and your position are important to the well-being of the university.

Cons

The pay for being a resident assistant was absolutely abysmal and was not at all appropriate for the amount of work that was put in, nor was it appropriate considering how much other student workers who do significantly less make.

11. "Great Place to Work"

Former Employee - Admissions Ambassador in Bourbonnais, IL

I worked at Olivet Nazarene University part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Awesome work environment, great interaction with people. Very relational along with some behind the scenes recruitment. The people you work with are great and very supportive. Honestly some of the most kind people you will ever work for and very good at invsting in you as a person.

Cons

Have to be willing to do the behind the scenes work that most people don't want to do. Sometimes management can be a little passive aggressive and not as assertive as somebody with my personality would like them to be.

Advice to Management

Middle managers should be more assertive with student employees when it comes to issues with attitude or how things are done. Confront the issue when they happen.