Ollie’s Bargain Outlet Reviews | Glassdoor

2.8
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Mark Butler

Pros
Cons
  • Work life balance, ever changing (in 10 reviews)

• If you try to bring up suggestions to upper management when they ask you for feed back they tell you to leave if you don't like it (in 11 reviews)

"Tricky place"

Former Employee - Operations Supervisor in York, PA
    Former Employee - Operations Supervisor in York, PA

I worked at Ollie’s Bargain Outlet full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Some opportunity for advancement. Family feel to the company. Emerging leader in salvage retail. Entrepreneurial spirit.

Cons

Dismal pay and raises. Woefully backward technology and warehousing strategies. Old boy network at the top prevents advancement higher than mid-management.

Advice to Management

PAY YOUR BEST TALENT WHAT THEY'RE WORTH, OR KEEP LOSING THEM! Your choice...

2. "Been here 3 months so far with no major complaints."

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Hamilton, NJ
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Hamilton, NJ

I have been working at Ollie’s Bargain Outlet part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Fair competitive pay, benefits for full time workers with over 1 years experience.

Cons

Entry level workers should try to start off with at least 30 hours biweekly. If u put in less than that ur foot is not well enough in the door and you will be monitered for termination.

Advice to Management

Every associate needs 3 management styles
    A whip cracker aka someone who pushes employees with constructive critisism
    Second someone who is very laid back so associates are not affraid to talk to them regaurding work related issues.
    And thirdly the best general manager is the combination of the two.

"Sales associate"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Tampa, FL

I have been working at Ollie’s Bargain Outlet part-time

Pros

Employees twenty percent discount
    Given unpaid lunch

Cons

Work you like a dog, breaks not given, low pay for work performed, almost everyone given part time hours even though I made it clear when I interviewed that I was looking for full-time because I need health insurance. Jumped through all the hoops during the "build" where it was run like we were in prison, where they would scream "break" and we would stop working, but they wouldn't tell you when the 15 minutes were up and there aren't any clocks so you would head back to the floor sooner than 15 minutes. Always pushing people to work faster to the point of exhaustion! Also, you are never told the job you are being considered for until well after opening (cheap labor for the build), then they'll start training you for a position but not offer it to you, you'll find out it has a lot more responsibility and it's only going to pay about 50 cents more an hour! Looking for a new job, sorry I wasted my time on this place!

Advice to Management

Need to pay your employees better!

4. "Sale's Associate"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Rock Hill, SC
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Rock Hill, SC

I worked at Ollie’s Bargain Outlet part-time (More than a year)

Pros

It was a good job while it lasted, Good Management, Decent pay

Cons

No enthusiasm when training. Sloppy company

Advice to Management

Get better employees

5. "Co mgr"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Ollie’s Bargain Outlet full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fast pace pay was decent

Cons

Push freight all day long with no help and no payroll

Advice to Management

Ollies should not be run on small box payroll budget because at the end of the day it's not a small box

6. "Sales supervisor"

Current Employee - Sales Supervisor in Roseville, MI
    Current Employee - Sales Supervisor in Roseville, MI

I have been working at Ollie’s Bargain Outlet full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It's like a family

Cons

Losing great workers due to them leaving the company

7. "Fast pace!!!!"

Former Employee - Sales Supervisor in Richmond, VA
    Former Employee - Sales Supervisor in Richmond, VA

Pros

Internal promotion
    Pace- Dc deliveries very heavy!
    Product- tons of item for various brands
    People- positive managers and people
    Growth opening toms of new stored

Cons

Hours- things would be very hard at times due to hours
     Stocking was hard no planograms can get mrssy fast

Advice to Management

Off hours crew/night crew

"Losing their identity"

Current Employee - Management in Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - Management in Columbus, OH

I have been working at Ollie’s Bargain Outlet full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good for rookie manager's or older management looking for some autonomy.

Cons

Company went public and no longer care about their people. Pay is decreasing while workload is increasing. No space planning, systems inadequate to support company growth. Prices of merchands increasing/losing value store image.

Advice to Management

Focus on upgrading systems, product/space planning. Act like you care about your people by planning out and communicating large staffing /procedural/ structural changes in the company. You look greedy and self-serving to those who are killing themselves to make you a buck.

"Would be a decent job if they fixed some things"

Former Employee - Customer Service Associate in York, PA
    Former Employee - Customer Service Associate in York, PA

I worked at Ollie’s Bargain Outlet part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Employee discount (20%), ability to earn gift cards through recognition program

Cons

Store is always messy with no structure due to the lack of planograms, your hours can get cut or you could be fired for not signing enough people up for the Ollie's Army card, you're either overstaffed or understaffed, extremely high turnover because pay is low but expectations are high, upper management always comes to the store and complains about everything and makes us move it around for no reason, unrealistic expectations of how much work one person can do in one day, management loves to play favorites and expects nothing from some employees while expecting others to be superheros and get everything done, full time is extremely demanding but only pays 10% more than part time, management forces us to try to sell damaged items that end up sitting on the shelf forever, training period is too short which scares away lots of new hires, the environment is chaotic on weekends because there's never enough cashiers on duty so other employees have to keep coming on and can't get their work done (there should always be two on duty cashiers on weekends), register system is extremely outdated and clunky.

Advice to Management

Stop pushing the Ollie's program so hard. It just makes the customers angry when they're hounded about a card that doesn't really help them that much anyway. When you have to deal with dozens of angry customers in a day and then get yelled at for not getting enough sign ups, it drains employee morale.

Try to clean up the stores to make them more welcoming to customers. We're expected to get everything out of the stockroom in one shift which leads to the shelves being overcrowded and trashy looking.

Hire more people so that your employees aren't stressed and spread too thin. I swear I got called in almost every day I had off for the span of months and got treated badly when I refused to come in all the time.

Train employees longer or implement a computer program where they can practice on the register system before taking actual customers. Better yet, redesign the system to make it more user friendly. The process to do a return is ridiculous.

Appreciate your good employees without expecting them to do more and more and more. We aren't machines. When we're running around back and forth and can't get our freight out, we shouldn't be lectured about it.

Focus on promoting within the store instead of hiring outside employees for higher level positions. It's not fair to dedicated employees when the same 3 positions have a new person every month because the store can't keep anyone.

Upper management needs to stop looking for things to be displeased by. Every time they come to the store and we make the changes they demand, it looks worse. They have no idea what they're doing.

10. "Great place"

Current Employee - Customer Service Associate in New Hartford, NY
    Current Employee - Customer Service Associate in New Hartford, NY

I have been working at Ollie’s Bargain Outlet part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great team and open opportunities

Cons

The Training program is non exsistant