Ologie Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.1
Bev Ryan

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Can't handle the heat, get out of the kitchen"

Former Employee - Former Writer in Columbus, OH
    Former Employee - Former Writer in Columbus, OH

I worked at Ologie full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

This site, and particularly this page, has made me realize that all these reviews are based on individuals and you should take it with a grain of salt. Ologie is a great place and the only place I've ever been (4th job full disclosure) where I feel like the employees are cared about and taken are of. Yes, all companies have their issues, but if you can't handle it then it's just not the place for you. People are brilliant, pace is fast, standards are high.

Cons

Some people can be cliquey but that's agency life pretty much everywhere. This place is at least mostly kind in and about its cliques.

"Senior Copywriter"

Former Employee - Senior CopyWriter
    Former Employee - Senior CopyWriter

I worked at Ologie full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Incredible talents across the board.

Cons

Fast speed, incredibly high standards, sink or swim environment (and the inevitable turnover.)

"If you enjoy office politics, long hours, and heavy travel - you'll love this place."

Former Employee - Account Management
    Former Employee - Account Management

I worked at Ologie full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There are very high expectations for the level of creative work produced. The approach to client work is thoughtful, but the output varies little from client to client.

Cons

Office politics are pretty bad. Job security is based on your relationships with the partners, not the work you produce. The partners fight often and create a negative culture that trickles down. Leadership lacks the general skills needed to run a profitable business ... yet they seem to still be making it work (I'm not sure how). Around February every year they do a round of layoffs - partly to clean house, partly because they are terrible at managing the ebbs and flows of project-based work. I would not work here again.

"Don't work here"

I have been working at Ologie (Less than a year)

Pros

Some smart, creative junior staff members

Cons

I couldn't get out of here fast enough. Mean-spirited senior partners with massive egos. The designers are capable and the work they produce is pretty good so long as you like the "ologie look" that permeates all their creative. The bigger issue is that there is no substance or thought at all to the creative. Clients pay for strategy that is completed through Google searches about an hour before presenting. When I raised this point to a senior partner I was told that my ability to "dance in front of clients was as valuable as my ability to produce substantive work". As noted by another reviewer, tons of unabashed infighting amongst the partners who will give you contradictory direction on the same client. Miserable, arrogant culture from senior partners.

"You won't find better people anywhere else"

I worked at Ologie full-time

Pros

Ologie produces thoughtful, award-winning work, year after year. It's a point of pride for the agency. Incredibly talented teams across the company, and inspiring space. Leadership is constantly evaluating approach, process, and team structure to ensure that the company is moving forward.

Cons

This is a tough industry. Long hours and heavy workloads can lead to burnout if you're not personally responsible for taking care of yourself. Work/life balance is always top-of-mind, but not always attainable due to travel and deadlines. Those that aren't immersed don't truly understand the sacrifices being made. (But isn't that anywhere?)

Advice to Management

Consider middle-management coaching to better train rising leaders. High talent doesn't necessarily translate to good leadership/management skills. Decide how much you want to be involved, and try to stick to that.

"It's not them, it's you..."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbus, OH

I worked at Ologie full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Most of the staff are very strong, strategic, talented and smart. Strategy is well-thought out and delivers a platform for the creative team to develop compelling brands and campaigns.

Cons

Staff is working 60+ hours each week; every week

Staff is leaving (or being let go) at an alarming rate

People are in management positions who shouldn't be

No such thing as work/life balance

Advice to Management

Over 30% of the staff has left or been let go in the past 12 months. 30%. And it's not because other companies are poaching. It's because it has become a toxic environment to work in. No one wants to work at a place where they come in every day wondering "Is this the day I get fired?" And yes, EVERYONE except for leadership has that feeling starting their first week in.

Fundamentally need to change the way Ologie operates. You don't need to hire more advisors. Instead talk to your employees (without the fear of repercussions). No one should be working over 60 hours every single week. Yes, it's an agency and that's part of agency life. However, it should be an exception; not a rule.

It's never easy to look inward when things aren't going well; but this is a case where you need to. It's not that employees are being enticed away by other companies; it's that they have had enough of being overworked and not being valued.

"Account Management"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbus, OH

Pros

Creative teams are energetic and smart

Cons

Management is a joke, divisive and dysfunctional, many promises made, none kept. A ton of infighting from the top down and they are not bashful about it.

Advice to Management

Stop using your teams to manipulate each other. Learn some accountability. Figure out how to estimate work for clients so that you can stop firing or burning out your account and project management teams.

"Account Director"

Pros

Produce amazing work and solve client's toughest brand challenges

Cons

Flat organization, limited growth, and no mentoring

"Ologie is a group of very talented, smart, and welcoming people."

Current Employee - Graphic Design Intern in Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - Graphic Design Intern in Columbus, OH

I have been working at Ologie full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I learned a lot, the pay was decent, and the people were great.

Cons

Seems like job security might be an issue.

"Leadership needs to engage"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbus, OH

I have been working at Ologie full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Most of the staff is brilliant

People I work with on a daily basis are what make my job bearable

Opportunity to work with great clients

Cons

Seniors partners don't get along with each other and it shows to the rest of the company

One senior partner in particular is not interested in culture or employees; very condescending

Junior partners are very good at telling others how something should be done but don't follow the same rules. More of "do as I say, not as I do"

Advice to Management

Please take a step back from growing the business by leaps and bounds. We are losing what makes Ologie, Ologie.