Olsson Associates Reviews | Glassdoor

Brad Strittmatter

"Senior Electrical Engineer"

Current Employee - Senior Electrical Engineer in Kansas City, MO
    Current Employee - Senior Electrical Engineer in Kansas City, MO

I have been working at Olsson Associates full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great Company to work for, great benefits, very good culture, active with charity, team building exercises and training, good work life balance.

Cons

Fairly large gap between manager salary and myself. Difficulty breaking into hiring/management position - ok if based on performance but no explanation why. Not sure where I stand from a performance standpoint bc lack of criticism or praise.

Advice to Management

Provide straight forward criticism (or praise) reviews.

"Inconsistent hours,low end of pay and bonus"

Former Employee - Technician in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Technician in Denver, CO

I worked at Olsson Associates full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Typical benefits 401k , ok healthcare , half day fridays, pto at your choice, limited company car use

Cons

Pay is very low compared to others especially compared to cost of living. Lots of profit but no raise for even cost of living and bonus is very screwed. Many employees says this over many years and many states Many of us are aware and it's insulting. We have no say on how they waste company money even if we have other ideas they aren't heard and then either no one gets bonus cause management screwed up budget or only certain ones the rest goes to PM getting a bigger bonus. Long time spent out of town for some and when in town expected to pick up slack but never get rewarded when everyone thought a large bonus was coming for long hard hours and our stats were met for team to get one. But only select couple got one and it's just bad morale ....,

Advice to Management

Raises and bonus should be on hours worked
    Not one persons opinion of you cause it's common knowledge all over these reviews the bonus is not fair to the hardest workers ..... many people don't wanna work here cause word of mouth spreads about pay and bonus style. Hard work goes unrecognized. A couple of us left before we put in too much to go elsewhere as we know the bonus stats were met for corporate but one or two got a bonus and the rest went to uppermanagements pocket very bad as we are suppose to be a team and that's why none wants to come into apply. Many people over many years say this in reviews bonus should be based on hours worked and equal to team unless someone did something outrageous. Team morale is hurting cause of this messed up bonus system and employees talk

3. "Good place to learn"

Former Employee - Intern in Omaha, NE
    Former Employee - Intern in Omaha, NE

Pros

Great Company events, professional yet relaxed environment, make your own hours usually.

Cons

Stayed within one team for entire internship.

Advice to Management

none

5. "Senior Engineer"

Current Employee - Senior Engineer in Overland Park, KS
    Current Employee - Senior Engineer in Overland Park, KS

I have been working at Olsson Associates (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great People, lots of opportunities, community focus, great work environment

Cons

Nothing to complain about - great place to work

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work

"Associate Technichian"

Former Employee - Associate Technician in Independence, MO
    Former Employee - Associate Technician in Independence, MO

I worked at Olsson Associates (More than 3 years)

Pros

Fast paced and challenging fun atmosphere

Cons

Some teams unorganized and did not work well together

Advice to Management

Listen more to below management employees they are true back bone

"Small Business Feel, Corporate Potential"

Current Employee - Assistant Engineer in Omaha, NE
    Current Employee - Assistant Engineer in Omaha, NE

I have been working at Olsson Associates (More than 5 years)

Pros

Opportunity to grow and advance in your career, recent trends to push educational and skilled training investments for employees, health insurance/401K, employee stock ownership, employee recognition program (for interns too), and a friendly laid back environment.

I have read most of the reviews for Olsson and most if not all stem back to the relationship with management. I happen to have a great manager whom I can trust so my experience has been nothing but positive but that doesn't mean I haven't had my fair share of personal and professional challenges. They do have the tendency to "throw you to the sharks" but in a world full of hand holding and relying on someone else to get your job done I believe this makes people better professionals and stronger individuals.

Cons

Low technician pay, payroll micro managing timesheets, growing pains (forgetting about the individual), and prior to 2016 but is no longer applicable: Employee recognition and lack of direction and proper training.

Advice to Management

With the company growing and the workforce getting stretched thin, it is very easy to fall into the routine of being overloaded with projects and schedules. My only advice to management is to pay attention to your teams and try to see the world through their eyes. What worked for you during your professional growth period won't necessarily work for the newer generation of professionals.

Olsson Associates Response

Aug 8, 2016 – Communications Area Leader

Thank you for taking the time to provide a review. You've mentioned some great points that are being shared with Olsson leadership. Glad to hear that you have a great relationship with your ... More

"Poor Managment"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kansas City, MO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kansas City, MO

I have been working at Olsson Associates full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Relaxed work environment, friendly co-workers, they have a lot of "team building" happy hours and barbecues.

Cons

There seems to be a pattern of promoting the incompetent people into management. They don't appreciate the good people they have and would rather promote from outside the company rather than from within. Very small opportunity for advancement unless you like to suck up and are good at it.

Advice to Management

Pay your employees what they are worth. Stop sticking your head in the sand and ignoring problems expecting them to go away.

"Growing Company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Omaha, NE
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Omaha, NE

I have been working at Olsson Associates full-time

Pros

Takes on major projects in the area.
    Small teams.
    Seems to be growing very well.

Cons

Expects long hours.
    No interaction between teams or as an office.
    Really no company culture.

Advice to Management

Try to build some culture in the offices. Many people have no idea who else even works in the same office. I don't know what to do to fix it though.

10. "Great place to work!"

Current Employee - Marketing Coordinator in Overland Park, KS
    Current Employee - Marketing Coordinator in Overland Park, KS

Pros

Great work/life balance, friendly coworkers, growth opportunities, good benefits, training opportunities

Cons

Wish more people got a little more involved with some of the company activities

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work

11. "Great opportunities!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lincoln, NE
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lincoln, NE

Pros

Many opportunities to try innovative ideas. Great culture.

Cons

If you aren't one that wants to work hard and put in the time necessary to complete good projects, this probably isn't the place for you.