Olympus Australia and New Zealand Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated April 9, 2019

3.5
James Bowe

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Amazing people and work that changes lives!"

Current Employee - Corporate in Melbourne (Australia)
    Current Employee - Corporate in Melbourne (Australia)

I have been working at Olympus Australia and New Zealand full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

- AMAZING PEOPLE! It's why I stay - I work with talented, supportive people
    - Flexibility - ability to work from home, flexible timings to suit my needs, great work/ life balance
    - Career development - I've been very lucky to have had varies opportunities to learn and grow. From projects, to new roles, I have always been encouraged to make any opportunity my own
    - Purpose - my work has a direct positive influence to the world around me

Cons

- We've grown so rapidly but our mentalities need some catching up - change still scares people in the organisation
    - We need to be more agile - this is difficult for global organisations of course, but there is ways we can achieve this locally
    - Technology - we have a real gap to becoming more technologically savvy internally

Advice to Management

The brand and the people you have are amazing, I do believe there is a need to change frequently and quickly rather than waiting for perfect to happen.

"Great place to work"

I have been working at Olympus Australia and New Zealand full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I’ve worked at Olympus for a little while now and I am genuinely happy here. My immediate team are fantastic and I have great relationships with people across the organisations. During my time I’ve had some great opportunities to develop and have also advanced my career. I’ve had to work hard but I believe if you are driven and motivated you can really develop. I know I’m not the only that has experienced this either, there are always announcements coming out sharing career changes for individuals. The opportunities are here you just have to work for them. As an organisation we do some pretty great things and are a part of something pretty special really. I don’t think all organisations can say that. This is one of the reasons I stay, I want to be a part of something good and contribute to my community. I really like our Senior Leaders, they seem pretty approachable and seem to genuinely care about their teams. It would be great to see a bit more of them though.

I don’t usually like to comment about others but reading some of the reviews on this site, I am really surprised by the way some people have depicted this organisation so negatively, particularly some of the support functions. I think I have been here long enough to have a realistic view and I think we are a pretty good organisation to work for. It just makes me wonder why people choose to stay if they are so unhappy.

Cons

With all that said, we certainly aren’t perfect and we have things to work on, but I don’t think we would be alone here. There is a fair bit of change going on at the moment which can be a bit unsettling. It would be great to perhaps have a bit more communication about it. As others have mentioned, the systems and processes are a bit behind and they cause a bit of pain. There has been a lot of work done recently around this and I think we will start to see some really good changes soon.

Advice to Management

There's lots of change happening, keep pushing through it because I think it's going to be even better place to work. Keep talking to us and keeping us in the loop because we want to be a part of it and help

3. "Service Technician"

I have been working at Olympus Australia and New Zealand full-time

Pros

Good work place with great team

Cons

No further career opportunities as technician

Feb 12, 2019 – Olympus Communications

Thank you for taking the time to post a review. We appreciate you positively highlighting our workplace environment, but most importantly, our team culture. Whilst we represent great products... More

"I love my job!"

Current Employee - Consultant in Notting Hill (Australia)
    Current Employee - Consultant in Notting Hill (Australia)

I have been working at Olympus Australia and New Zealand full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Awesome people
    Great product
    Embracing of change
    Innovative
    Passionate
    Supportive

Cons

Some of the systems need upgrading as they are a bit archaic

Advice to Management

Love your work!

Jan 14, 2019 – Olympus Communications

Thank you for your positive comments. We’re really pleased to see this sort of feedback from a current employee.

We appreciate you taking the time to acknowledge our fantastic people and products... More

"A company building momentum brick by brick"

Pros

SLT cares about the success of the business, even if it means making difficult calls... terrific recent additions to this team

Flexibility for those working on the road

Internal A project should long term reap rewards has galvanised parts of the business...

Offices, new NSW office is a nice space

Quality of people in the business. Filled with generally very friendly helpful people which has created a warm culture

Flexible working arrangements, particularly if you have a family at home

Discounts on product, reward and recognition is strong and various training is regularly rolled out even if it is less accessible for those outside of Melbourne (head office)

Cons

The business has incurred significant change recently with a significant internal project being implemented as well changes to multiple other departments. This has polarised some and created instability which needs to rectified.

Internal systems still need development, technological issues can become very troublesome.

Jan 14, 2019 – Olympus Communications

Thank you for your positive comments, we’re really pleased to see this sort of feedback from a current employee.

We take great pride in the number of talented Olympus staff who go above and beyond... More

"I’ve grown along with the company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Melbourne (Australia)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Melbourne (Australia)

I have been working at Olympus Australia and New Zealand full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Olympus is a well respected global brand but one which has grown organically in the Australian and New Zealand regions, going direct in these markets just over 20 years ago. This has meant the company has experienced strong year on year growth, easily withstood the GFC (with no redundancies) and in my experience has lead to strong job security and the ability to grow with the company (as it has grown).

Cons

Organic growth often means systems and processes are regularly playing catch up as is modern job design. In recent years these areas have been a focus & whilst the company is not entirely there yet, there is a night and day improvement from when I first started with the organisation over a decade ago.

Advice to Management

Keep investing in your people, systems & the customer experience. Also consider some “out-of-the-box” strategies, perhaps along the lines of local acquisitions, taking the occasional risk and bringing products to market faster to take our growth profile to the next level.

Jan 14, 2019 – Olympus Communications

Thank you for your comments, we’re really pleased to see this sort of feedback from a current employee and its great you feel that you’ve grown your career along with the company. We can also agree... More

7. "Good Managing Director with vision,.. HR not so"

Former Employee - Manager
    Former Employee - Manager

I worked at Olympus Australia and New Zealand full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The MD is a good operator, he has a vision and he is trying to pull the company along on that journey.
    The company globally and domestically is reinforcing the right areas as needed (such as Quality Assurance and Regulatory Affairs).
    Olympus Australia/New Zealand is not afraid to change.
    Facing obstacles they are looking for opportunity in the adversity.
    Some really good people.
    Increasingly becoming a truly global company.
    Good opportunities to grow if you take the initiative.

Cons

HR
    Lot's of staff have left

Jan 14, 2019 – Olympus Communications

Thank you for taking the time to post a review. It sounds like overall, your experience during your time at Olympus was a mostly positive one.

As you eluded to, we don’t shy away from change for... More

"Toxic culture and HR too much power"

Current Employee - Middle Management in Melbourne (Australia)
    Current Employee - Middle Management in Melbourne (Australia)

Pros

Some great products, good work life balance and fantastic middle managers and staff

Cons

Toxic culture and poor engagement.
    Terrible senior management who says one thing and does another.
    Promotions based on favouritism and people who talk a good talk.
    Company run by HR who know nothing about the business or products.
    Can’t deliver projects on time and on budget.
    Terrible wastage.
    High turnover of staff.
    Low accountability because product sells itself.

Advice to Management

No point as they only listen to HR. Wouldn’t recommend working here unless you become a favourite or aligned with HR.

Jan 14, 2019 – Olympus Communications

We’re concerned by your feedback and the multiple incorrect data points that you’ve referenced in your review. As an example, for some time now our attrition rate has sat below industry standard and... More

"Good people but no opportunity"

Pros

The people are (generally) fantastic. It's a relaxed workplace without being unprofessional. There's a lot of flexibility and the ability to work from home if you need. Purchased leave is available which is a good benefit to those needing school holidays off. The newly announced strategies to move forward have the right idea. Generally not a bad place to work, but room for a lot of improvement.

Cons

There is a severe lack of career development. The HR team have been telling us that formalised career paths are going to be implemented for at least the past two years, but where are they? People are constantly punished by having to pick up the slack from other underperforming staff. You provide feedback about these issues constantly and nothing is ever done - instead, you are given their tasks! There doesn't appear to be any consequences for underperformance even though they're directly impacting our ability to deliver to our customers. Huge staff turnover. There only appears to be opportunities in the sales/marketing and HR space - very few promotions in other departments. Olympus seem to prefer to hire externally rather than develop internally. Projects are rarely successful - they're always delayed, improperly executed and this causes issues later on.

Advice to Management

You need to develop people even during the difficult times when all you want to do is focus on fixing the problems at hand - ultimately this will increase the capability of the business and you'll be better equipped to leap forward when the problems are gone. You need to have more formalised career paths and when someone expresses their career aspirations you should be taking this seriously. You must remove the people who are bringing the company down. This could go back to being a great place to work if you realise that you have capable and willing staff who WANT to grow within the business.

May 28, 2018 – Olympus Communications

Thank you for leaving such comprehensive feedback. We really appreciate you taking the time to highlight our fantastic people, our everyday workplace culture and increasing levels of workplace... More

10. "A great place to make a contribution"

Pros

- The people: skilled, intelligent people work at Olympus, many of whom are extremely passionate about the company, the products and the impact Olympus products can have in people's lives, from capturing everyday moments on cameras, to saving someone's life with medical devices, to assisting with groundbreaking research with microscopes. Employees at Olympus are generally very knowledgeable in what they do. There's an immense amount of talented and experienced people. In addition, everyone I've come across is friendly, which contributes to a welcoming workplace vibe.
    - Opportunities: you might not immediately get the next step you're looking for, but there are definitely opportunities for career growth and development, particularly if you're proactive in seeking it. There are numerous success stories of people who have successfully changed roles, transferred departments/job functions or have gained a promotion. There's also opportunities to contribute to cross functional teams and projects.
    - Well recognised, strong brand in the market.
    - Good business tools: ranging from hardware and software to business applications.

Cons

- Speed of growth: this can be both a pro and con. Because of the quick pace of growth particularly over the last 5 years, systems and processes need more time to catch up. But this also means there are many opportunities to make improvements in different areas. Systems and process improvements are currently still a work in progress.

Advice to Management

Continue listening to your people, and being well-intentioned and authentic in the way you work.

Apr 16, 2018 – Olympus Communications

Thank you for your positive comments and level of detailed feedback. We’re really pleased to see this sort of feedback from a current employee.

We’re extremely proud of our talented workforce and... More