Olympus Corporation of the Americas Reviews | Glassdoor

Olympus Corporation of the Americas President and CEO Nacho Abia
Nacho Abia

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. Featured Review

"Great Company with Benefits"

Current Employee - Sales Manager in Waltham, MA
    Current Employee - Sales Manager in Waltham, MA

I have been working at Olympus Corporation of the Americas full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The benefits are good reflecting a caring corporate attitude. All companies seem to profess that they care about their employees but Olympus walks the walk. I have seen flexibility to take care of family first during health issues. Daycare is provided at the Center Valley facility.

Cons

Like all large corporations there are always some bureaucratic hoops.

2. "Sales"

Former Employee - Sales Representative
    Former Employee - Sales Representative

I worked at Olympus Corporation of the Americas full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Co-workers are great people

Cons

Unpleasant workplace in the latter years. Not a trusting environment.

Advice to Management

Transparency

"Surgical Endoscopy sales"

I worked at Olympus Corporation of the Americas full-time

Pros

Best technology hands down....If Stryker had the Olympus bag they would own the market (FACT)

Cons

Micromanaged nightmare. The entire process is broken. Impossible to do your job when your own company gets in the way. Commission is reduced year over year...

Advice to Management

If you take care of your people, they will take care of the company.....Employee moral is at an all time low, Olympus MGT should be ashamed. Impossible to increase your annual income because the increase of your quota is off set by annual reduction in commission....

"The worst place to work! Really!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Center Valley, PA

I have been working at Olympus Corporation of the Americas (More than 10 years)

Pros

Just benefits, nothing else, really

Cons

Upper management is the worst. Favoritism is in a full swing. If you are not personally liked - you don't have a future in Olympus. Lots of conspiracy, talks behind your back. Harassment of those who don't kiss management's You know what. No opportunity to grow. No recognition. Retaliation. Can't even complaint to HR. They never do anything and ALWAYS is on a management's side! You will basically be retaliated if you complaint and fired after all. Especially Working in IT - is a dead end. You end up in mental institution if you don't get out of there sooner than later. All this positive reviews are made up. People hate each other over there and throw each other under the bus with every opportunity they get. And only those people can survive there.

Advice to Management

All upper mngmt needs to be replaced. Not the people who actually do the work. But likely nothing will change and Olympus will always be an olympus's way.

Aug 28, 2017 – Human Resources

We appreciate you taking the time to write a review. We have passed along your feedback to the appropriate department. Please know that ethics and compliance are extremely important within our... More

"Worst place I have ever worked"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Center Valley, PA

I have been working at Olympus Corporation of the Americas full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Initial salary and benefits are at market for the Lehigh Valley.

Cons

If you are looking for a job that is "just a job" and you want to constantly wish you enjoyed the job you do, the company you work for, and the people you work with, this is the place for you. Favoritism. No opportunity for advancement unless you are the favored suck-up yes-man. Despite "open door" policy, you will be ostracized if you speak up against the status quo or ask questions about things that don't seem right or that makes management uncomfortable. Unrealistic expectations for volume of work. Below average pay increases. Organization overall lacks integrity. Worst manager I've ever had in my life and no one seems to care.

Advice to Management

Treat all of your employees with respect and dignity all of the time and not just when it suits you.

Aug 15, 2017 – V.P., Human Resources

We appreciate you taking the time to write a review. I would like to use this opportunity to share a little about our corporate philosophy. At Olympus, we recognize that employees play the biggest... More

6. "Sales"

Current Employee - Territory Manager
    Current Employee - Territory Manager

I have been working at Olympus Corporation of the Americas (Less than a year)

Pros

The people that work at Olympus below upper management are very nice and I do enjoy working with my customers

Cons

Another year in sales at Olympus and yet another cut to the compensation plan, three years in a row! This year I'm being asked to increase sales in my territory by 27% so I can make less money than last year.

Advice to Management

When the CEO of the company addresses the sales team at the National Sales meeting and tells us how profitable Olympus was this year...right after our commissions were cut for a third year in a row is not a good look.

7. "Good People, low salary, micromanegment, promised one thing during interview but I quickly realized that it won't happen"

Pros

They have this point system which is really just a micromanagmant and the pay is really low. The department that I've work for has a rotating shift hours and it is just not stable.

Cons

Great poeple to work with and the doctors really are amazing. The reaserch is above and beyond

Advice to Management

Trust your employees and the managers especially when they have good suggestions. Pay higher, otherwise you'll lose a lot of potential employees.

May 10, 2017 – Human Resources

We appreciate you taking the time to write a review. In addition to our motivated and collaborative workforce, Olympus also offers competitive salaries, benefits and unique company "perks." We... More

"arrogant, cold company"

Former Employee - Customer Service in Brooklyn Park, MN
    Former Employee - Customer Service in Brooklyn Park, MN

I worked at Olympus Corporation of the Americas full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I can't think of any

Cons

walk-on-eggshells atmosphere, upper mgmt buddies up and steps on the peons, way too much useless classes, bad training, low pay, stifling, focuses on their phony image more than their employees, rude supervisors, no introductions, too rigid, no feedback unless negative

Advice to Management

warm up to the employees, don't be so quick to judge, give them a chance before letting them go without a word, ease up on the strict rules

Mar 1, 2017 – Human Resources

Your feedback of your experience working for Olympus will be shared with the Brooklyn Park customer service team.

"Terrible culture"

Pros

You can get OR experience. Sales people are generally good people. They have good technology. Have 80 percent market share in flexible scopes. If top producer can be very lucrative.

Cons

Culture is absolutely terrible. Each business unit is out for themselves and do not work well together. Managers are a joke with now real good coaching. Training is pretty much nonexistent. You really need to make friends with tenured reps to get your questions answered. It is difficult to get equipment for a trial. There is a ton of busy work on the computer that takes you out of the territory at least two days a week. They do not promote from within. They tend to go outside of the company to fill positions. They want to have two people in a region on a plan at all times. The salary is only 40k a year. Way below average for med device sales.

Advice to Management

Get your act together. You are loosing a lot of good talent. Treat people with respect. Invest in training and promote from within.

Feb 27, 2017 – Human Resources

We appreciate your feedback. Your comments will be forwarded to our sales management team.

"Get out if you value your career"

Current Employee - Director in Center Valley, PA
    Current Employee - Director in Center Valley, PA

Pros

The pros related to this organization are a memory of the past when this company valued its employees and we felt like we were appreciated and we belonged to a family.

Cons

Having this organization on your resume is a career death trap ! This bueatful building is smoking mirrors and it's a house of horrors.

Advice to Management

Why bother making a recommendation, I and others who are no longer here have tried to make meaningful recommendations for years. Nothing ever comes out of them, in fact senior mananagent does not even acknowledge you for them ! Great way to empower and motivate people who care or used to care about the overall good of an organization !!!

Jan 11, 2017 – Human Resources

Your honest review is appreciated, and we encourage you to discuss these concerns with your human resources business partner. We take employee feedback seriously and all employee concerns are handled... More