Olympus Corporation of the Americas Reviews | Glassdoor

3.9
Olympus Corporation of the Americas President and CEO Nacho Abia
Nacho Abia

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Professionalism / Salary / Benefits / Decent Work/Life Balance / Fun, positive and productive atmosphere (in 32 reviews)

• Good compensation, Good Benefits, Company does not micro manage (in 28 reviews)

Cons
  • The culture of upper management is not dynamic (in 18 reviews)

• Advancement is limited in administrative positions, they are working on work/life balance but it is not quite there yet (in 9 reviews)

"Worst place I have ever worked"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Center Valley, PA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Center Valley, PA

I have been working at Olympus Corporation of the Americas full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Initial salary and benefits are at market for the Lehigh Valley.

Cons

If you are looking for a job that is "just a job" and you want to constantly wish you enjoyed the job you do, the company you work for, and the people you work with, this is the place for you. Favoritism. No opportunity for advancement unless you are the favored suck-up yes-man. Despite "open door" policy, you will be ostracized if you speak up against the status quo or ask questions about things that don't seem right or that makes management uncomfortable. Unrealistic expectations for volume of work. Below average pay increases. Organization overall lacks integrity. Worst manager I've ever had in my life and no one seems to care.

Advice to Management

Treat all of your employees with respect and dignity all of the time and not just when it suits you.

Olympus Corporation of the Americas Response

Aug 15, 2017 – V.P., Human Resources

We appreciate you taking the time to write a review. I would like to use this opportunity to share a little about our corporate philosophy. At Olympus, we recognize that employees play the biggest... More

2. "Service Engineer"

I worked at Olympus Corporation of the Americas full-time

Pros

Lots of great and smart people

Cons

Air travels and long hours are difficult

3. "overview"

I worked at Olympus Corporation of the Americas full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

new products, headed in the right direction

Cons

marketing too young- can be more talented, training is C. Need application of products

4. "Anonymous"

I worked at Olympus Corporation of the Americas full-time

Pros

Good work experience for an intern.

Cons

This is a large corporation where jobs are determined in conference rooms or Toyko

Advice to Management

Push for details in restructuring plans

"Very disorganised and lacking structure for a Medical Device Company"

Current Employee - Analyst in Richmond Hill, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Analyst in Richmond Hill, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Olympus Corporation of the Americas full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Very little to none

Olympus Management, processes, procedures and protocols are suited for entry level and or junior individuals coming into the industry.

Cons

As per other reviews, Olympus Canada is significantly lacking approved verified processes, and knowledgeable, professional and experienced staff when compared to other medical device companies.

Daily activities at Olympus Canada consist mainly of 'putting out fires'. There is little attempt to be proactive or perform any type of process improvements. Very poor structure in terms of processes and procedures - which is extremely disconcerting given that Olympus operates within a Federally regulated industry.

Majority of the managers posses little or no knowledge from any other industry or company outside of Olympus Canada - which results in a very shallow pool of knowledge for staff looking for leadership to draw from.

Due to the fact Olympus lacks strong leaders/ experienced managers - the company has no clear direction. There is a lot of disorganization, lack of accountability, lack of professionalism, lack of detail throughout the company - and little or no attempt to correct the issues. Decisions are poorly made, reneged, reconsidered, reversed and based on poor decision process resulting in further issues which require more more manpower and or time to resolve.

There is a significant rift between the relationship between managers and experienced staff, mainly because staff who have significant industry related experience, do not remain at Olympus Canada for very long when they realize their skills and expertise will be mismanaged, and they move on to more successful companies. Experienced personnel who come in from more regulated and technical industries are ostracized, as their experience, strong work ethic, need for accountability undermines that of the inexperienced managers with "laissez-faire" attitude within Olympus.

Managers have been heard/seen discussing private information with other staff, why former employees had left the job or been terminated - information that is private and should never be discussed with non essential personnel.

Generally speaking, any individual with greater than 4 years work experience and coming from another medical device company and definitely anyone coming from the Pharma/Biotech/OTC industry will be significantly limited in what can be accomplished at Olympus - and will find Olympus to be taking a step backwards in their career progression.

Advice to Management

Hire managers that have well rounded, robust industry related experience - not managers who are popular

Olympus Corporation of the Americas Response

Aug 9, 2017 – President and CEO Olympus Canada

We appreciate all feedback and strive for continuous improvement. Olympus is committed to providing a rewarding and progressive workplace environment while maintaining the highest quality and ethical... More

6. "work and community atmosphere"

I have been working at Olympus Corporation of the Americas full-time

Pros

Having worked at other companies that did some volunteer and giving programs, I now know what it really means. 16 hours a year to volunteer somewhere and not have to make it up?? It's more than just a publicity stunt. There are several ways to give - not just of yourself and your money, but Olympus backs it up with there own funds.
    You may not start at the highest salary, but the small l things matter, free fruit for healthy snacks, free colonoscopies, group volunteer activities, monthly birthday lunches, flexible schedules... it all adds up to motivation and smiles in the office.

Cons

As a large multi-segmented company with offices around the US and the globe there is always the struggle with getting everyone to use the same systems and processes. This is frustrating at times, but everyone is aware of it so we learn to work with it and improve what we can.

7. "Awesome benefits!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brooklyn Park, MN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brooklyn Park, MN

I have been working at Olympus Corporation of the Americas full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The benefits and work life balance are great!

Cons

Not too many opportunities for career growth in my field in the Brooklyn Park office.

8. "Great Company with Benefits"

Current Employee - Sales Manager in Waltham, MA
    Current Employee - Sales Manager in Waltham, MA

Pros

The benefits are good reflecting a caring corporate attitude. All companies seem to profess that they care about their employees but Olympus walks the walk. I have seen flexibility to take care of family first during health issues. Daycare is provided at the Center Valley facility.

Cons

Like all large corporations there are always some bureaucratic hoops.

9. "Specialist Document Control II / Draft"

Current Employee - Specialist Document Control II/Draft in Waltham, MA
    Current Employee - Specialist Document Control II/Draft in Waltham, MA

I have been working at Olympus Corporation of the Americas full-time (More than a year)

Pros

One of the nicest things about working at Olympus is the team environment.

Cons

The only down side is my commute of 35 miles each way.

10. "A true team environment"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Waltham, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Waltham, MA

Pros

The people make this company a great place to work. There's a genuine desire to work together and do what's right for the customer. You also feel that you can make an impact in your job.

Cons

The vision plan is not great.