Omaha Steaks Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated February 14, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Bruce A. Simon

Pros
  • Clean work environment, easy job (in 5 reviews)

• The pay was above minimum wage which was nice at the time, and there was an opportunity for bonuses (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Too many directives from upper management with conflicting information (in 6 reviews)

• The compensation was commission OR minimum wage, whichever was higher (in 3 reviews)

1. "Great Environment"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Phila, PA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Phila, PA

I worked at Omaha Steaks part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Benefits, the corporate staff, hours, discount.

Omaha Steaks manages to offer big company benefits with the feel of a family business

Cons

Advancement opportunities are hard to come by

2. "Omaha Steaks Seasonal Sales Rep"

Former Employee - Inbound Sales Representative in Omaha, NE
    Former Employee - Inbound Sales Representative in Omaha, NE

I worked at Omaha Steaks part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Sold product during the holiday season to both existing and new customers. Got paid minimum (9.25) plus commissions on all sales. *Also got a $200 bonus for my having done this for 2 years (the last was several years ago). So I averaged about $12 per hour or so. The training is basic, most of the people you work with and for are very nice. *I would say to try to learn some basic things about the cuts of meat before you start. Of course the meat sells itself basically.

Cons

The last couple of weeks one Must work from 25-30 hours a week (on top of another job).

Advice to Management

More hands-on practice navigating the various windows to research products and prices.

3. "Going where appreciated.... Store Manager NJ"

Former Employee - Store Manager in Morristown, NJ
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Morristown, NJ

I worked at Omaha Steaks full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Liked my customers and staff- liked managing a store without much input from upper management. Liked doing my own style and personalizing my store.
    75% off retail for employee pricing was great! Would never pay retail for the product.

Cons

Not enough payroll to cover needs of the store. Had to be on call 24/7. RM plays is not truthful with advancement opportunities! Wanted to move up in company. Process is way too slow and favoritism plays a factor. Growth of company at a snails pace. Keep saying they want to open more stores but we keep closing stores.

Advice to Management

Leadership needs to be honest in advancement opportunities. I ran a great profitable store and decided to take my talents elsewhere so I could be paid fairly for the job and have growth opportunities!

"Left As Soon As I Could"

Former Employee - Sales Associate
    Former Employee - Sales Associate

Pros

Base hourly wage is slightly above minimum wage in my state, raises do exist, employee discounts for food that's pretty good, as far as frozen food goes

Cons

Starting wage is only cents on the dollar higher than minimum wage, raises are annual and range from 3-5%, you can easily be fired (or hours dropped to 4 hours a week like in my case) if you do not meet certain (in my opinion ridiculous) quotas

Advice to Management

Your employees are people too. You can't just reliably expect all of your customers to pay >$80 every order they make. There is a certain niche of people you market to that will, but don't have your customers' actions negatively impact your employees.

"outbound sales"

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Omaha, NE
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Omaha, NE

I worked at Omaha Steaks full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

After wkg here I know that ANYTHING will be better than this pit!

Cons

Boiler room high pressure and no matter how much you sell, you will NEVER see a
    commission. Never.

Advice to Management

Stop lying on your job postings. You do not and never have paid commissions except to
    a handful of favored, long tenured "pets". No one on the sales floor EVER makes above
    the $12 hr base pay. There is nothing casual about the hammering each rep goes thru
    to make sales on an hourly basis with threats of being fired.

"Good experience"

Pros

There was a great group of people working there! Supportive & helpful

Cons

Training was to a bare minimum however it was the basics

Advice to Management

Add positive & innovative people to your training program & workfloor

"Great part time - short termed job...."

Current Employee - Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Sales Associate

I have been working at Omaha Steaks part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Small but friendly staff who work together. Pay is better than minimum wage. Dress code is relaxed so the need to wear dumb uniform is minimal. They have good products and they do honor their warranty.

Cons

Its a marketing company who suck at marketing. The computers are inefficient and most of their coding doesnt work. Their use of fine print is beyond excessive and the volume of sales or marketing pitches completely brutilizes the customer. The product prices are excessive even if the product itself is good. Zero chance for advancement. A family run business with all the baggage that goes with it.

"Complete Lack of Transparency"

Former Employee - Store Manager in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at Omaha Steaks full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Easy work - business comes and goes
    Work life balance is typically good
    Awesome discount

Cons

Store goals are unachievable with the marketing that is put out
    Bonus structure isn't transparent
    Not enough management meetings
    Pay was very poor
    Dying business

Advice to Management

If a store manager is going above and beyond, let them know. Compensate them for their work. Make sure they're noticed.

10. "Sales Associate"

I have been working at Omaha Steaks part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great company to work for: Flexible hours, friendly environment, and the job itself isn't hard as long as you're good with talking to customers.

Cons

During the slow parts of the year it can get a little boring because time goes slow when there's nothing to do.

Advice to Management

Work a week on the sales floor to see what it's actually like when dealing with people face to face, instead of only coming up with add on specials on paper without putting them to work.

11. "Retail Sales Associate"

Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Morrisville, NC
    Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Morrisville, NC

I worked at Omaha Steaks part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I was working in a small store, only three other employees at the time. We all got pretty close, it was cool. It was also great working in a store with a freezer during the hot summer months. The pay was above minimum wage which was nice at the time, and there was an opportunity for bonuses.

Cons

Management is very inconsistent. My store manager was great at running a store, not so great at training. But, he trusted each of his people to get the job done right. Overall, he was pretty great. The upper level management was not so great. The retail stores often have to compete with pricing as advertised online, where there isn't as much overhead and margins can go lower. This can negatively effect individual employee margins, which in turn effects potential bonuses (they aren't huge bonuses, but anything is better than nothing). I love sales, but the stats that they track with the cannibalization of it's own market share leads the Omaha Steaks metrics to be a little too luck based. Any sales job is going to have some luck involved... not this much.

Advice to Management

Stop cannibalizing your market, let the retail stores refuse orders that were made based on online pricing and deals that don't exist in the computer system, and upgrade the inventory system to something that is less than 30 years old!