Omaze Reviews | Glassdoor

3.1
Omaze CEO Matt Pohlson
Matt Pohlson

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Different...in a really wonderful way"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Omaze full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Work/life balance: the office runs from 10-6 and very little emails after those time frames. It's rare for a start-up to have this type of balance.
    - Mission! It feels great to be working for a company whose mission is so clearly defined. It's easy to see how every person in the company adds to this mission and makes the work feel really meaningful.
    - Awesome co-workers. People come to Omaze because they're ready to do something bigger, something impactful. It's nice to be around genuinely good humans. No politics that I have experienced, which is a breath of fresh air.

Cons

- There is no 401k match

Advice to Management

Keep up the transparency. It is what sets us apart.

2. "Great mission, not much direction"

I have been working at Omaze full-time

Pros

So great to work for a company that cares about giving back
    The people working around you are passionate, interesting, and good people
    It's a really unique approach to social good and you can feel how different it is, feels innovative still even after 5+ years of existing as a company

Cons

The company is increasingly directionless. I'm not 100% confident it will scale well and there are quality issues that come with scaling. Seems like the brand identity is not solid. Jobs also don't feel secure, I've seen multiple people laid off or let go suddenly.

Advice to Management

Please remain transparent and perhaps invite the larger company in to some of the larger strategy talks. Sometimes we get directions that don't feel like good ones and we aren't sure where these decisions were being made.

"Sinking Ship"

I have been working at Omaze full-time

Pros

Great co-workers. Cool idea, feels nice to help people.

Cons

No vision, no direction, unclear leadership, no room for growth.l whatsoever. Everyone is overworked and very underpaid. There is a mass exodus of employees right now. I’ve never seen such high turnover. Seems to be the beginning of the end of the company.

Advice to Management

Get it together. Treat your employees fairly.

"Underpaid and Overworked"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Culver City, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Culver City, CA

I worked at Omaze full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Knowing that your job makes a real impact on nonprofits is hugely rewarding, and the lower-level employees are a joy to work with. The party planning committee puts on a ton of fun events.

Cons

The company is top-heavy. If you're at the bottom of the totem pole, you will remain there. Management will give you job title and salary promotions but never hire anyone to work under you, so you'll be given more responsibility without ever forgoing old tasks. Management is the company's core problem. Higher-ups openly dismiss the idea of a work/life balance and expect you to answer emails and calls after hours, on weekends and, yes, even on some holidays. A heavy workload is to be expected at a start-up—especially one that gives away most of its income to charity—but it's hard to justify working so hard when the company pays significantly less than the industry standard.

Favoritism, too, is a core issue at the company. Many management positions are given to people without the necessary qualifications or experience, keeping the company from reaching its full potential and streamlining its workflow.

You'll also spend a ridiculous amount of time in meetings.

Advice to Management

Bring on more experienced management with a history at ad agencies and digital studios. Omaze essentially operates as a social media production company, but few (if any) of the managers are experienced in that field. In addition, take another look at employee responsibilities. There are a handful of salaried positions currently on staff that the company could do without.

"Good Company....Internal Movement? Not sure."

I worked at Omaze (Less than a year)

Pros

Pros: Love the office space and work culture! There are definitely some stressful times during the daily grind but Talent & Culture does a good job trying to incorporate in-office events to lighten up the mood. The fact that they pay interns is a plus for me! You get to work cross-functionally with other teams and that gives you the opportunity as an intern to decide what your interests are in and if you want to switch teams. You get to work from home which is awesome--and it seems like no one really abuses that privilege. Everyone is pretty dedicated to working. Overall, if you have a good manager your time at Omaze will be swell!

Cons

- Bad communication. I think bad communication in a lot of aspects of management to lower-level employee information dissemination, but I will speak about the intern/FT aspect. They do not let interns know what the plausibility of being hired as a FT employee is. You'll have full-time interns day in and day out, working for a year without anyone approaching them for opportunities. You have to bring it up and that can be awkward if they didn't plan on hiring you. I understand they are doing their best to hire more experienced employees (because the critique is that the company has too many young folks) but if you're going to hire interns, be upfront and straight-forward about hiring prospects. Don't let them work for a year without saying anything.
    - In addition, don't know what the movement is for FT employees in current associate roles to move into managerial roles. It looks like you're stuck in that role for a while so get comfy!

Advice to Management

- CEO could be more approachable and I've witnessed at times some scary-looking behaviors exhibited during meetings.
    - Also, invest in the interns that come in--some are really brilliant and I've seen the company let some walk away.
    - Be open to new ideas. Omaze is an innovative company but surprisingly there are times when ideas are overlooked and ignored in favor for the same ol' concepts and ideas pitched by the same people. Take risks! It won't destroy the company.

"Stressful environment, and no growth or exit plan in sight"

I worked at Omaze full-time

Pros

Opportunity to work alongside young and smart people, who are just starting their careers.

Cons

CEO is brash and egotistical, creates a competitive and stressful environment. Little to no growth opportunities, and pay is 40-50% below industry average for "tech" in Los Angeles. Account managers often expected to be 'on call' 24/7 and work in the office for up to 10-12 hours per day to get a campaign live. Talent and studio partners often say they won't work with Omaze again due to a poor experience and lack of visibility into the process and results.

Advice to Management

Clearly define goals and have more transparency into how many donors and donations come from each campaign, and how much Omaze takes and the charity receives. Treat employees as "team members" not as workhorses.

7. "Typical Startup"

I worked at Omaze full-time

Pros

- Fun work events
    - Most of the employees are

Cons

- Below average compensation and benefits
    - Crowded and subpar office space (forced to work in 90-degree weather for an extended period of time)
    - Management doesn't actually care about you, they only care about how much money you can bring in.
    - Many managers don't manage anyone or do any work.
    - Lack of structure and vision

Advice to Management

Pay attention to the employees who are actually doing hard work. Manage your employees with empathy instead of manipulation and fakeness.

"Awesome place to work."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Omaze full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Hands down the best group of people I've ever worked with. Everyone is smart, fun, and cares a lot about the work they do. I also love the exciting challenges we get to tackle together, and feel really lucky knowing the work I do each day supports great causes.

Cons

Like most start-ups, we're doing something that's never been done before, and it can get tough.

Advice to Management

Don't spread yourselves so thin!

"Poor Management"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Omaze full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Small company, new office space in Culver City, dog friendly office, diverse culture, no vacation policy, most employees are under 30

Cons

Founders don't get along, stressful office environment, no work/life balance - expectation to be 'available' 24/7 and holidays to meet goals, weak benefits package as compared to VC backed start-ups of similar size (ex. no on-site meals, limited parking, no gym reimbursement, no 401k matching), unclear direction on priorities (ex. tech/product or driving immediate revenue).

Advice to Management

Founders should set better example for culture and management top down to retain talent and keep employees motivated. Company values and mission are strong, but doesn't always trickle down. Put more focus into long-term growth and relationships instead of short term goals.

"Great place to start"

Pros

You have an amazing opportunity to work with first-class people who know their way of the industry. Its one of the better start-up jobs and the work you do actually makes a difference in the company. If its something you love, there's room to grow within the company.

Cons

Company lacks structure, but thats a start-up.