Omaze Reviews | Glassdoor

3.6
Omaze CEO Matt Pohlson
Matt Pohlson

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Fun and interesting place to work!"

I worked at Omaze full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Mission: It was incredibly meaningful knowing my day-to-day work impacted people around the world. This also made the longer and sometimes unpredictable hours and challenging moments 100% worth it to me. I also had the opportunity to work closely with charities that I personally support. I also saw the tangible results of my (and the entire team’s) hard work from new hospice centers being built to funding AIDS treatment.
    - The people: Omaze attracts some of the most intelligent and fun people around because of the unique entertainment/tech/social impact space it sits in. People choose to work there because it’s more than a job. The hiring process can be longer, but it truly pays off when employees share the company’s values. I’ve also met some of my closest friends and mentors. I’ve stayed in touch with folks that have moved on and ones still at the company. These people challenged me every day to work my hardest and smartest.
    - Career growth: Omaze was the first startup I worked at and in true startup form, I had the chance to learn about almost every aspect of the quickly growing business. As my interests and skills developed further, the leadership team supported my desire to lean further into certain areas. Leadership also prioritizes management training, which is not something I’ve learned is very traditional for a newer company.

Cons

- Typical challenges of a growing company like unpredictable hours and changing priorities.
    - I had a few different managers during my time at Omaze for a variety of reasons. That said, I give leadership props for making these changes happen quickly, with as much transparency as possible and always for the overall good of the team even if at the time they were challenging and created more work.

Advice to Management

Continue to be transparent when communicating strategy and priorities as the company grows.

2. "Junior Accountant"

Former Employee - Junior Accountant in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Junior Accountant in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Omaze full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

To Serve people, Children is interested.Specially Children have to get food,health care and education. And I respect human rights.

Cons

-Always recording the same transaction.
    -Being Organized my challenged point but by using cellphone, calendar now I am good.

Advice to Management

Managers rely on the organization's Accounting system to provide needed financial information. So close relationship with financial department is good to make decisions about the future.

3. "Fun culture, disorganized"

I have been working at Omaze full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fun events, happy hours, flexible hours and PTO

Cons

Typical start-up problems - high turnover rate, disorganized leadership, low pay

"Great Mission, Great People"

I have been working at Omaze full-time

Pros

The people here are awesome. Everyone is super smart and creative, and cares about making a difference. I've also made a ton of friends here.

Cons

Can be long hours, and also work can be out of your control with demanding partners. Communication also doesn't flow as well as it should for a company our size.

Advice to Management

Stay transparent and do a better job communicating strategy. Continually focus on growth opportunities and enable younger people to do more.

"They'll invest in you!"

I worked at Omaze full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-Amazing people --not only did I meet some of my best friends at Omaze, I also met some incredibly important mentors. They care a ton about hiring people who align with the company's values and I think that really pays off. The people make it easy to want to go to work every day!
    -Investment in your career-- Both the CEO and the COO invested in my future in a very meaningful way. I was able to declare where I wanted to go in my career and I felt like the leadership actually worked to get me there. I learned a ton from every person there -- I feel like my time at Omaze gave me 10x the experience and opportunities I'd have at a bigger company
    -The work is FUN. Omaze works on fun crazy things and so the work is fun (and often crazy!). I've never laughed more during my work day.

Cons

-Often unpredictable hours (a la most start ups)
    -Some frustrating inefficiencies within the company

Advice to Management

Continue to trust and invest in young people (they are often your most passionate and hardest workers). Find a balance between hiring outside senior folks and letting people rise up from within.

"Great mission, not much direction"

I have been working at Omaze full-time

Pros

So great to work for a company that cares about giving back
    The people working around you are passionate, interesting, and good people
    It's a really unique approach to social good and you can feel how different it is, feels innovative still even after 5+ years of existing as a company

Cons

The company is increasingly directionless. I'm not 100% confident it will scale well and there are quality issues that come with scaling. Seems like the brand identity is not solid. Jobs also don't feel secure, I've seen multiple people laid off or let go suddenly.

Advice to Management

Please remain transparent and perhaps invite the larger company in to some of the larger strategy talks. Sometimes we get directions that don't feel like good ones and we aren't sure where these decisions were being made.

"Sinking Ship"

I have been working at Omaze full-time

Pros

Great co-workers. Cool idea, feels nice to help people.

Cons

No vision, no direction, unclear leadership, no room for growth.l whatsoever. Everyone is overworked and very underpaid. There is a mass exodus of employees right now. I’ve never seen such high turnover. Seems to be the beginning of the end of the company.

Advice to Management

Get it together. Treat your employees fairly.

"Different...in a really wonderful way"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Omaze full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Work/life balance: the office runs from 10-6 and very little emails after those time frames. It's rare for a start-up to have this type of balance.
    - Mission! It feels great to be working for a company whose mission is so clearly defined. It's easy to see how every person in the company adds to this mission and makes the work feel really meaningful.
    - Awesome co-workers. People come to Omaze because they're ready to do something bigger, something impactful. It's nice to be around genuinely good humans. No politics that I have experienced, which is a breath of fresh air.

Cons

- There is no 401k match

Advice to Management

Keep up the transparency. It is what sets us apart.

"Underpaid and Overworked"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Culver City, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Culver City, CA

I worked at Omaze full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Knowing that your job makes a real impact on nonprofits is hugely rewarding, and the lower-level employees are a joy to work with. The party planning committee puts on a ton of fun events.

Cons

The company is top-heavy. If you're at the bottom of the totem pole, you will remain there. Management will give you job title and salary promotions but never hire anyone to work under you, so you'll be given more responsibility without ever forgoing old tasks. Management is the company's core problem. Higher-ups openly dismiss the idea of a work/life balance and expect you to answer emails and calls after hours, on weekends and, yes, even on some holidays. A heavy workload is to be expected at a start-up—especially one that gives away most of its income to charity—but it's hard to justify working so hard when the company pays significantly less than the industry standard.

Favoritism, too, is a core issue at the company. Many management positions are given to people without the necessary qualifications or experience, keeping the company from reaching its full potential and streamlining its workflow.

You'll also spend a ridiculous amount of time in meetings.

Advice to Management

Bring on more experienced management with a history at ad agencies and digital studios. Omaze essentially operates as a social media production company, but few (if any) of the managers are experienced in that field. In addition, take another look at employee responsibilities. There are a handful of salaried positions currently on staff that the company could do without.

"Good Company....Internal Movement? Not sure."

I worked at Omaze (Less than a year)

Pros

Pros: Love the office space and work culture! There are definitely some stressful times during the daily grind but Talent & Culture does a good job trying to incorporate in-office events to lighten up the mood. The fact that they pay interns is a plus for me! You get to work cross-functionally with other teams and that gives you the opportunity as an intern to decide what your interests are in and if you want to switch teams. You get to work from home which is awesome--and it seems like no one really abuses that privilege. Everyone is pretty dedicated to working. Overall, if you have a good manager your time at Omaze will be swell!

Cons

- Bad communication. I think bad communication in a lot of aspects of management to lower-level employee information dissemination, but I will speak about the intern/FT aspect. They do not let interns know what the plausibility of being hired as a FT employee is. You'll have full-time interns day in and day out, working for a year without anyone approaching them for opportunities. You have to bring it up and that can be awkward if they didn't plan on hiring you. I understand they are doing their best to hire more experienced employees (because the critique is that the company has too many young folks) but if you're going to hire interns, be upfront and straight-forward about hiring prospects. Don't let them work for a year without saying anything.
    - In addition, don't know what the movement is for FT employees in current associate roles to move into managerial roles. It looks like you're stuck in that role for a while so get comfy!

Advice to Management

- CEO could be more approachable and I've witnessed at times some scary-looking behaviors exhibited during meetings.
    - Also, invest in the interns that come in--some are really brilliant and I've seen the company let some walk away.
    - Be open to new ideas. Omaze is an innovative company but surprisingly there are times when ideas are overlooked and ignored in favor for the same ol' concepts and ideas pitched by the same people. Take risks! It won't destroy the company.