Ombudsman Educational Services Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

2.4
Mark Claypool

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Families appreciate the intimate setting as well as the one on one attention their student receives (in 6 reviews)

• Ability to make a difference is student's lives (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • While working with Ombudsman Educational Services, I did experience a high turnover rate of the center directors and several of the teachers (in 5 reviews)

• Very high turnover rate, staff isn't treated fairly, or respected (in 5 reviews)

"A Great Balance"

Current Employee - English Teacher in Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - English Teacher in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at Ombudsman Educational Services part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I loved working for Ombudsman. The other teachers and my boss were great to work with, a very tight-knit community, especially given that I mainly worked in a big center with all the teachers and students. They are very flexible when it comes to family issues and scheduling and their overall culture supports this.

Cons

The pay could be better. It can be quite a commute, given that many centers are in inner city neighborhoods, depends on the set-up of your city. The health benefits are pricey.

Advice to Management

You need a library in each center.

"Great in Theory"

Former Employee - Ombudsman Teacher in Shreveport, LA
    Former Employee - Ombudsman Teacher in Shreveport, LA

Pros

Providing the needed academic assistance and modeling to at risk youth.

Cons

Dumping ground for students who negatively impacted overall public school rating. Lack of top cover to enforce policy. Lack of resources to properly instruct.

Advice to Management

Listen to the needs of the instructors. Keep your word to instructors. Meetings should not be held just for the sake of having them and with no meeting item acted upon. Support the instructors as much as possible.

Ombudsman Educational Services Response

Mar 9, 2015 – Marketing and social media director

Thank you for your comments. We are pleased that you appreciate the value our program brings to the non-traditional student population in terms of academic assistance and role modeling. It is very... More

3. "Ombudsman Does what is best for the students!"

I have been working at Ombudsman Educational Services full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I believe in the Ombudsman mission! Ombudsman does what is best for kids. I like the staff I work with and enjoy working with the students as well. Being part of the leadership team I have learned many skills throughout the years that have made me a better support for the teachers.

Cons

Traveling to centers can be a challenge, but I knew it was part of the job.

Advice to Management

Continue to support the center staff, they are the true face of Ombudsman.

4. "Terrific company"

Former Employee - Director
    Former Employee - Director

I worked at Ombudsman Educational Services full-time

Pros

If you'd like working with great people, this is a terrific place to be!

Cons

This is not a job for people that like a typical 9-to-5 routine!

Advice to Management

The only thing I can think of is human really sources should consider casting a broader net with search engines.

5. "Ombudsman GA Experience"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Ombudsman Educational Services full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Ombudsman Educational Services in Georgia is a company that operates with integrity. There is a shared mission in ensuring that the students who walk through the doors of Ombudsman, succeed. There are so many opportunities to be creative and innovative within the center. There are also advancement opportunities within the company.

Students enjoy their time with the staff and ask to stay instead of go back to their home school. Families appreciate the intimate setting as well as the one on one attention their student receives.

Cons

Lack of transportation for students

"Teacher"

Pros

Great experience working with young people. Really feeling like I am making a difference. Good leadership support

Cons

Pay is substandard. It is difficult to retain dedicated employees when they are living month to month Don't feel like a professional when paid so little

Advice to Management

Show your employees you appreciate them with higher pay.

Ombudsman Educational Services Response

Mar 24, 2015 – Marketing and social media director

Thank you for your feedback. We are happy to hear you enjoyed your experience working with the students and felt that you truly made a difference in their lives. It is also appreciated that you noted... More

7. "Ombudsman"

Pros

Very good training, Supervisors are very helpful and the company is well organized

Cons

Low pay and because it is a company not a regular school you are expected to work when the students are not there for the one day holidays and snow days.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work

"Ombudsman"

Current Employee - Teacher in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Teacher in Chicago, IL

Pros

Nice people to work with, caring supervisors.

Cons

Low pay compared to public schools. No free benefits either.

Advice to Management

Please hire licensed professionals and pay them well enough to avoid turnover

9. "Amazing Support"

Current Employee - Center Director in Marietta, GA
    Current Employee - Center Director in Marietta, GA

I have been working at Ombudsman Educational Services full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I absolutely love working for Ombudsman. I left public school because of the classroom size and politics and will never go back as long as I have a position with Ombudsman. They offer tons of support for whatever your needs may be. They are always open to suggestions that can make the program better. Here you can really see the impact you can make on students that would probably never graduate or finish school in the traditional classroom. Also, the amount of out of class work is limited, allowing you ample family and free time. There is also ample opportunity for growth if you seek it!

Cons

As with any other public service position pay is always an issue.

Advice to Management

Continue to listen to your employees and there can be nothing but good things to come.

10. "Teacher"

Current Employee - Teacher
    Current Employee - Teacher

I have been working at Ombudsman Educational Services full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I love working for Ombudsman. Ombudsman allows you to know your students and co-workers on a personal level that you cannot get in a public school. Ombudsman allows for small class sizes so students feel successful.

Cons

Pay is well under national average for teachers.

Advice to Management

Pay staff accordingly.