Ombudsman Educational Services Reviews | Glassdoor

2.2
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Mark Claypool

Pros
Cons
  • While working with Ombudsman Educational Services, I did experience a high turnover rate of the center directors and several of the teachers (in 5 reviews)

• Upper management says a lot of fluff but is not transparent (in 6 reviews)

1. "Director"

Pros

Working individually with students.

Cons

I have been watching this company go downhill the last 10 years. I guess they don't pay attention to glass door reviews.

Advice to Management

It is no coincidence that they have gone downhill since Claypool came onto the scene. I don't blame him entirely. The culture that has been created is one of greed.

2. "Teacher"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Naperville, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Naperville, IL

I have been working at Ombudsman Educational Services full-time

Pros

Small student to teacher ratio. Ability to make a difference is student's lives.

Cons

Pay is low. Regional Manager.

Advice to Management

If you are not going to pay more, then be supportive. Help us feel valued.

3. "Not a lot of structure"

I worked at Ombudsman Educational Services full-time

Pros

Curriculum base is set and you typically don't take work home.

Cons

Little support or opportunities to network with other sites, as well as poor salaries.

4. "Complete scam. Ruining kids lives!"

Current Employee - Teacher Assistant
    Current Employee - Teacher Assistant

I have been working at Ombudsman Educational Services full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Paid during school year breaks

Cons

Ombudsman is working with school districts that are sending children with IEPs and severe behavioral disorders to a computer based learning program! These children are at maybe a 2nd grade reading level and we are expecting them to complete a computer based learning program?!!
    Extremely under staffed, teachers couldn't even modify for students with IEPs if they tried.
    Administration is horrible. Embarrassing students, gossiping about staff members, never in the classroom.
    This place is just a huge scam, making money off of ask risk teens in cities that are already low income and high unemployment. It is so sad and heartbreaking to watch. This place is not "helping" any children recover their credits. It's a dumping ground for children the districts don't want to deal with anymore. And ombudsman could care less. If you care about the well being and success of our future generations - DO NOT work here.

Advice to Management

At least pretend you're doing your job. Spend some actual time in the classroom, follow through on your promises.
    Corporate - please stop acting like we aren't doing our jobs after only visiting for 3 hours. Don't act like you aren't aware of what's really going on here.

5. "Dog and Pony Show! Taxpayer Scam!"

Former Employee - Teacher in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Teacher in Chicago, IL

I worked at Ombudsman Educational Services full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Students are decent kids trying to finish school.

Cons

Ombudsman is paid per student with taxpayer's money through local school districts. Once they get their money it is all over! Teachers do not teach. Teachers are on their phones and internet much of the day and ignore students. Lead teachers are are very rarely in the classrooms, but hide out all day in offices or backrooms. Students do not learn. They are passed based on computer programs and tests that can be easily cheated on. No one really cares! Ombudsman is paid extra to take special ed students with federally mandated IEP's and then they are blatantly ignored in the ridiculously over sized classrooms. Ombudsman is laughing all the way to the bank!

"Poorly run for profit school."

I worked at Ombudsman Educational Services full-time

Pros

Students achieve success with close guidance from teachers.

Cons

Teachers and staff are not valued.

Advice to Management

Mark Claypool you can not implement a salary freeze on all of your employees for 10 years and then advertise yourself in an employees newsletter as an "admired CEO" in the Nashville area to the same employees who do not receive raises.Ombudsman was founded in 1975-about 30 years before the company was sold to you by 1 of its Founders/CEO's. Before you became CEO, from 1975 until about 2009, employees earned merit raises at the minimum of once per year. You do not value or appreciate the staff that allow Ombudsman to run and succeed with the student referred to them by districts. It was apparent you do not care if you have brand- new, inexperienced staff (certified teachers)every single school year.

7. "Conflicting Information"

I worked at Ombudsman Educational Services full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The company has a good plan to work with youth....

Cons

This company needs to have a follow through and a better overall system to make sure of the success of youth

Advice to Management

Make sure you have qualified people to be in charge.

"DONT DO IT!!"

Former Employee - Social Worker in Berea, OH
    Former Employee - Social Worker in Berea, OH

I worked at Ombudsman Educational Services full-time

Pros

Some staff were nice, salary was decent. You will love the students, but you will hate how they're treated.

Cons

Understaffed, unorganized and very business oriented. Very high turnover rate, staff isn't treated fairly, or respected. Roles will not be clear, and there's constant miscommunication amongst admin/staff/students. No true concern for students well being or progression. You will not be given ANY materials. You will be penalized for not doing your job but also forced to take on other roles, making it impossible to do your job. Center directors and other members of administration. are not always the most approachable or competent people. Hiring process is almost a joke. The interview will consist of generic questions, RED FLAG!! Ask for a clear description in WRITING of your role and expectations, as well as supervisors and chain of command. Salary is decent, but benefits are terrible ($250+ A month for one person) so it isn't worth it. You will not receive ANY training, not a good feeling when you're in an alternative "school". No security, or school resource officers, RED FLAG! Not a very diverse organization, limited to no people of color on staff, another RED FLAG!! Students are not treated fairly, there are favorites. Honestly, if I could give this organization negative stars, I would. I wouldn't send my worst enemies child there. I saw so much potential there, but because the company is poorly run and understaffed, it will never be able to move forward until they come up with a better system, and truly uphold the "values" they claim to have. Not a very supportive environment. Administration loves to power trip, and the corrective action plan is also a joke. I could go on and on. Stay far away, that is the best advice I can give. Honestly, truly. I'm sure they're not in compliance with some regulations also. It's literally like a horror story, don't waste your time, because they will waste yours. I think I may have symptoms of acute stress disorder from working in such an environment. Save yourself the hassle.

Advice to Management

Respect your employees, and their roles. Simple.

"Nice place to work, but they don't pay"

Former Employee - Content Teacher in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Content Teacher in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Ombudsman Educational Services full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great kids, alternative ed program, nice staff

Cons

Do not pay you what you're worth!!!, tedious paperwork, IT sucks sometimes

Advice to Management

Realize that you are asking people with certifications and degrees to work for you. We are great at our job and help create success stories! Pay us more than a substitute teacher!

10. "Good company to work for !"

Current Employee - Teacher
    Current Employee - Teacher

I have been working at Ombudsman Educational Services full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Working with children ! Good staff to work with !

Cons

Not paid enough !

Advice to Management

Pay your teachers more, you won't have high turn around !