OmniUpdate Reviews | Glassdoor

Lance Merker

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Best place to work!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Camarillo, CA

I have been working at OmniUpdate full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The company really takes care of it's employees! They provide a great work environment and really respect everyone and their contributions.

Cons

Can't think of any cons...they are a great group of people.

2. "Change in Management"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Camarillo, CA

I have been working at OmniUpdate full-time

Pros

Changes can sometimes be good. I think this company is headed in the right direction with new leadership and putting better policies and more training in place.

Cons

The office is nice but a bit out of the way from where I live.

Advice to Management

Treat employees as valuable assets.

"Confused"

Current Employee - UI Developer in Camarillo, CA
    Current Employee - UI Developer in Camarillo, CA

I have been working at OmniUpdate full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Enjoyed the conference and meeting the customers

Cons

Senior Management of the company has whimsical sense of humor. Volatile decision making, which changes every week based on their judgement. Can make or break your career within a day. The CMS is burdensome to implement and support. Many previous employees created custom solutions in the past, what now has become a nightmare to update or fix. You are expected to know PHP, .Net, JS, HTML, CSS, XSL, XML, XPATH, jQuery, Ruby, etc. for an entry level position. Very long working hours and no time for a social life. I'm single and expecting to stay this way forever if things don't change here.

Advice to Management

Provide more training on old projects before asking to solve customer issues. If what customer wants is not possible with the CMS, just drop it and move on. Don't try to create solutions outside the CMS all the time.

"Started out good, seems to be faltering"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Camarillo, CA

I have been working at OmniUpdate full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

* Good benefits (health, dental, vision)
    * Lots of exposure to various technologies
    * Awesome customer base to work for
    * Good break area/snacks/drinks
    * Wonderful co-workers

Cons

* High turnover rate (people quit or are fired at least 2x a month)
    * Lack of communication between departments (they've been saying for years that this will improve but it hasn't)
    * Hiring of high level executives that have all not panned out and been horrific fits
    * Hiring of upper management that is woefully non-technical
    * Hiring of certain upper management (whom are no longer there) has had a damaging rippling effect throughout the company as a whole, hurting morale and causing many long tenured employees to leave that were once happy
    * Firing or forcing out of long time employees
    * Low pay in certain departments when the demands of supporting such a wide clientele base with many different server configurations, web languages, and more requires EXTENSIVE web development knowledge
    * Due to the complexity of the product and how each customer implementation is unique, on boarding new employees can take anywhere between 3 months to 12 months in a technical role
    * Never ending treadmill of work and constantly behind on deadlines
    * Development team not given the tools to turn a good product into a great product (rollback of a release + over 8 months since a release has hurt customer confidence)
    * Archaic HR policies that make it nearly impossible to get tools needed

Advice to Management

* Listen to your employees, most are unhappy
    * Pay your staff fairly, the majority of the company is under paid for the web development knowledge required, this is why you're having high turnover
    * Development is grossly understaffed and not given the tools to make OU Campus a great product
    * Development decisions have way too many stakeholders in them and the direction the development team is pulled in seems to change every three months
    * Communicate where the product is headed, what is being worked on, etc.

"Some good things, some bad things"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Camarillo, CA

I have been working at OmniUpdate full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

On a day-to-day basis, working here is really solid, like 4/5 stars:

- Lots of really solid, intelligent, friendly people you get to work with
    - Decent PTO and benefits (fully paid medical/dental insurance for the worker, vision is a few bucks a month, disability, 401(k), etc.)
    - Decent opportunities for upward mobility and learning new skills - as long as you make the effort
    - Customers who like us and appreciate what we do for them
    - Annual user conference is pretty fun
    - Free snacks/drinks/etc. in the cafe
    - Main office areas have been remodeled over the last year or so
    - Casual dress code
    - Fairly flexible hours
    - The company is an industry leader so there's a bit of "we're #1" confidence that you can feel

Overall, the people you work with and the work that you do, in the office you do it in, is pretty rewarding. I'd say this is a great "stepping stone" career.

Cons

Looking at the company as a whole, especially some of the changes that have been made over the last year, is what brings this rating down fairly significantly. I'll be detailed here and attempt to not overstate anything in particular:

- The BIGGEST problem by far is that lots of those solid, intelligent people are leaving. Many employees that have been with the company for 2-3 years are resigning and going elsewhere, and there's been a lot of mysterious firings over the last 6 months. Considering that we are always on the edge of feeling understaffed in key roles, these departures are a big deal.
    - Multiple departments have been shaken up organization-wise in the last year, and I think some of those organizational changes have hurt, not helped.
    - Immense pressure to get stuff done quickly to meet goals, leading to incomplete work, dissatisfied customers, inter-departmental frustration, and general inefficiency. This is made worse by all the people leaving.
    - The location of the company in Camarillo I think disincentivizes people to work here since it's a long way from the "cool" areas of LA proper and Santa Barbara. And it's not like cost of living is much lower here.
    - Pay is on the low end considering the location and industry, especially for technical hires. I encourage you to counter-offer your initial salary; there is some wiggle room.
    - Mid-level employees seem dissatisfied and disagree with company direction, but they're not upset enough to speak up about it.
    - "Company culture" seems to be more of a way for upper management to control employee behavior as opposed to something we're collectively celebrating and using to improve our practices.
    - Management has been working on increasing transparency over the last year, but there's still a lot of room to grow here.
    - No matching 401(k).

This doesn't mean the company is awful. Some previous reviewers have made it sound like favoritism is rampant, management is on par with slave drivers, and that HR brags about all of its firings. I think all of that is an exaggeration. There are serious concerns that are worth examining, but like I said, I like my job day-to-day, and I'm hoping the company realizes that this year they tried a lot of new stuff, and some of it didn't work. So hopefully this next year will be better.

Advice to Management

Figure out why people are leaving and work harder to retain them.

Hire more developers and support-oriented staff, make sure people feel valued for their contributions, and improve communication between departments.

Cross-train more, be more explicit with offering professional development, and make turnover less of a catastrophic loss by implementing better knowledge transfer practices.

"Not worth looking at"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Camarillo, CA

I worked at OmniUpdate full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Exciting market to be in. Outside of that that there are significant challenges.

Cons

The story was great, the opportunity was there but the strategic, cohesive vision of the company direction was mismanaged and ultimately lead to its demise. If you're looking for opportunity, growth, culture, and $ then you will need to look elsewhere.

Advice to Management

The tech is archaic. The message isn't good. Turnover is way too fast. Atmosphere sucks.

"Big Mistake Staying Here"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Camarillo, CA

I have been working at OmniUpdate full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I made some great friends here

Cons

No words to describe the work pressure and lack of processes/experience in most departments. The last 18 months have been very stressful and the CEO has lost control over most departments. The recent mysterious firing of VP of Sales & Marketing had a catastrophic effect and many competent staff members ended up leaving, which left most of us helpless and the management did nothing to remedy.

Advice to Management

Bring back some of the experienced employees to help those who are staying

"Needs help"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Camarillo, CA

I worked at OmniUpdate full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Conducts great user conference every year.
    Develops great marketing videos.
    Lots of opportunity to learn different technologies from the 80's.
    Colorful cafe.
    Big parking lot and clean restrooms.
    Security cameras monitor every corner of the office 24/7
    Most product features are decided and scoped by sales with the help of potential customers.
    Office located just 1.5 hr drive from LA and 2 hr drive from LAX airport.
    More opportunities to know co-workers and make friends as there is no option to work remote from home.
    There is a 2-3 page policy document for every object in the office from the HR including snacks in the cafe, desks, cubicles, fridge, etc. to assure proper documentation and instructions whenever/wherever you need it.

Cons

Too much micro-management by the CEO.
    Management favorites get extra perks, while others don't.
    Low salary and no career path for growth.
    Many employees getting fired or resigning every week.
    The whole enterprise SaaS software can be brought down by any user with one line of code which shows bad product architecture.
    Has more staff members in HR department than IT.
    Believes in using iframes and call it product integration.
    Employees are often forced to do overtime and work over the weekends.

Advice to Management

Won't make a difference so nothing here

"Hire/Fire"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Camarillo, CA

I worked at OmniUpdate full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Many clients are still using the product

Cons

If you are planning to start working at this company, please be aware that you will be under constant pressure and stress of the fear of making one mistake and getting fired. You will think that this is just an ex-employee bashing the company but unfortunately it is the truth. In fact, the HR has an email template that gets sent out each week to announce who got fired.

For those who are still working at this place, I feel sorry for you. The company has large number of clients and decent brand name in the industry. Over the past few years all the passionate employees left because of the leadership. Anyone who suggests or tries to implement a new idea than what the CEO wants, either gets fired or gets moved to a different position. Don't let the cafe, free snacks, benefits plan, user-conference, etc. fool you. Look around and you will find pretty much everyone applying for jobs elsewhere. For most of the top leaders in the company, working at OmniUpdate was and is their first and only job. The lack of tech industry experience is clearly visible in the way all employees are treated as well as ongoing issues with the product.

If you have concerns about salary, you will be told that they are a start-up. At the same time if you have concerns about certain company policies, you will be told that the company is not a small start-up anymore and things are the way they are.

Advice to Management

You need a new leader... you know it...don't wait, just do it!

10. "Great Company"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Camarillo, CA

I worked at OmniUpdate (Less than a year)

Pros

Best Company I've ever joined. Everybody is helpful and kind.

Cons

There are no cons. Maybe a salary increase will be great.

OmniUpdate Response

Sep 19, 2016 – Human Resources

Thank you so much for leaving a review. Best of luck in your next career endeavor!