OmniVision Technologies Reviews | Glassdoor

3.2
OmniVision Technologies President, CEO, and Director Shaw Hong
Shaw Hong

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Nice atmosphere and nice people to work with (in 4 reviews)

• Stable job environment, suitable for married couples (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance is not considered important at this company (in 6 reviews)

• Extremely top-heavy, micromanaging senior management focused on cost-cutting, tracking employees, and taking shortcuts in business decisions (in 3 reviews)

1. "Cool stuff to be seen"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Clara, CA

I have been working at OmniVision Technologies full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Everything needs a camera these days so we work with really cool customers and are in cool things, yoga and zoomba classes, great offsites,

Cons

Nice to have a gym but it could be improved some, not great commuter benefits, fairly strict anti-work from home policy.

Advice to Management

People don't need to be sitting at their desk to be efficient, working from home can be more productive in some circumstances.

Apr 5, 2017 – HR Training Manager

Thank you for being a member of the team and for your feedback. We are excited about the opportunities ahead. You're right, our technology is far-reaching and innovative; the partnerships we... More

2. "Experience varies to team"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Clara, CA

I worked at OmniVision Technologies full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Health plan. Green card support.

Cons

Some teams has horrible development style and the entire team get stuck in this weird circle of unreasonable demands and intentional insubordination.
    All teams have the "Chinese parenting" managerial style: you are presumed to not know anything and will suffer for speaking up.
    Some managers seem to enjoy having team members watching out and telling on each other. It's silly.

Advice to Management

Have fun

3. "If you enjoy working long hours and low pay."

Former Employee - Engineer in Santa Clara, CA
    Former Employee - Engineer in Santa Clara, CA

I worked at OmniVision Technologies full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The health plans is free and if you are single that is one of the best plans out there. if you have a family then it is in line with other companies.

Cons

I suppose depend on if you are in the right department or not. In my department it is long hour and no way you can get a promotion. I was working there for the last 6 years and I still have the same title as I do when I left.

I feel like the company has some trust issues. I was not able to check personal emails, share things via USB. I feel like the IT team is thinking everybody is trying to take IP from the company. If I really wanted to I can take what ever I want.

Advice to Management

Trust your employeees a little more.

Jun 26, 2017 – HR Training Manager

Thank you for your feedback. We always look forward to hearing from our employees and former teammates. I am happy to hear that you enjoyed our employee health benefits. We offer the best options... More

"Procurement"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Clara, CA

I worked at OmniVision Technologies (More than a year)

Pros

Hands off management, processes and procedures in place

Cons

limited avenues for advancement, No cultural training, No HR alignment, no monitoring. If your not Chinese which represents 90 percent of the company it is hard to integrate

Advice to Management

When I began at Omni vision I had a group of three, Clearly two full time employees left strictly due to management style, expectations and attitude. What's worse is the HR team which does not like conflict never addressed this manager. I personally gave him the benefit of the doubt and handled the full workload for two months...Only allowing them enough time to replace me with a worker on an H1 visa. The company is only about cost cutting and has no consideration for employee personalization, cohesion between teams , or employee advancement. Its in no way aligns with smaller or larger structured Tech Corporations you find within the Silicon valley ..Beware!!

May 22, 2017 – HR Training Manager

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback. It's important that we recognize everyone's perspective and welcome the opportunity to discuss challenging situations at any time. All of our... More

"Be Warned"

Former Employee - Associate Technical Writer in Santa Clara, CA
    Former Employee - Associate Technical Writer in Santa Clara, CA

I worked at OmniVision Technologies full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Pretty good pay and benefits

Cons

No training, poor communication, no real cohesion beyond a handful of small groups of employees who don't necessarily constistute the whole of any "team." Overall, chaos.

Advice to Management

Build stronger communication and organization within and between departments. Have more standard SOPs for employees at every level. Keep everyone in the loop and working like a well-oiled machine. A body whose organs do not work in harmony is in poor health and doesn't have long to live.

Apr 4, 2017 – HR Training Manager

We appreciate your feedback; thank you for taking the time to share. We are happy that you enjoyed our compensation and health benefit programs while you were here. Our benefits are the best in... More

6. "A place that allows you to thrive"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Clara, CA

I have been working at OmniVision Technologies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

If you want to innovate and develop something new, this is the place for you, you will get support from management as long as you present the business case well.

Cons

pretty typical semiconductor company, cost-savings sometimes is overly emphasized.

Advice to Management

learn new management styles from the new silicon valley companies, pay more attention on creating fun work environment.

"OK place if you need a job."

Current Employee - Engineering in Santa Clara, CA
    Current Employee - Engineering in Santa Clara, CA

I have been working at OmniVision Technologies full-time

Pros

Technology driven, lot of stuff to explore. Compensation and benefits in-line with other semiconductor companies. Most managers and coworkers are kind. Relatively stable job.

Cons

Lack of due process because a small inner circle decides almost everything. Many managers do little on performance review. Always in lack of workforce so you'll be busy and sometimes distracted. Everything is running in a cost saving way including dated facilities, lab equipments and very low budget for business travel.

Advice to Management

Do more to treat your people better and acquire talents think differently rather than implying current employees to give better reviews on Glassdoor.

"Fair place for most groups but not marketing"

Current Employee - Product Marketing Manager in Santa Clara, CA
    Current Employee - Product Marketing Manager in Santa Clara, CA

I have been working at OmniVision Technologies full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Pays fair
    - Keep up efforts to compensate for various stock elements even after going private
    - Reward and value loyalty
    - Strong sales team and strong customer relationships in China

Cons

- lack of high level coherent strategy or vision
    - if you are not in the "inner circle" then your inputs don't matter
    - Heavy focus on cost cutting and very short sighted in terms of cost vs. growth

"Project Manager"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boulder, CO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boulder, CO

I worked at OmniVision Technologies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Innovative technology. Staff at my location were professional and hard working.

Cons

Communications with HQ in Silicon Valley very stilted.

"Learning and development is embraced"

Current Employee - Product Engineer in Santa Clara, CA
    Current Employee - Product Engineer in Santa Clara, CA

Pros

I've been here for a couple of months and I am happy to brag about the new leadership workshops that have been introduced. They have been very well received and we're learning a lot.

Cons

My building could use more natural light ... but other than that ... very happy.