OmniVision Technologies Reviews | Glassdoor

OmniVision Technologies Reviews

Updated March 19, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
  • Nice atmosphere and nice people to work with (in 4 reviews)

• Stable job environment, suitable for married couples (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance is not considered important at this company (in 6 reviews)

• Extremely top-heavy, micromanaging senior management focused on cost-cutting, tracking employees, and taking shortcuts in business decisions (in 3 reviews)

1. "Design Engineer"

I have been working at OmniVision Technologies full-time

Pros

Good benefits. Free medical, dental and vision insurance, work and life balance can be achieved at most time.

Cons

Overtime work during busy times.

Advice to Management

Managers should have more training regarding managerial skills.

"Working at OVT"

I have been working at OmniVision Technologies full-time

Pros

Co-workers, company outings, vending machines are $.0.50, company benefits are great (company contributes to your 401k account, and employee premiums are 100% paid by the company), Holiday break during Christmas time,

Cons

It would be great if we had charging stations for electric cars

"An ok place to work"

Pros

Nice people, cool new vending machine policy, great health benefits, lot of little perks, quick hiring process, relatively short work hours by Silicon Valley standard

Cons

Uncompetitive salary, dry managers, not a lot of training opportunities; lacks clear procedural guidelines and made employee feel thrown into work.

"Recommended to the people especially with high faculty"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Clarita, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Clarita, CA

I have been working at OmniVision Technologies full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Competing among the top group in the growing image sensor market.
    The company size is not too big.
    Good chances for challenging projects, as well as the chance of promotion.
    So, recommended to the people especially with high faculty.

Top management often talks about "what is good for employees."
    Benefits like insurance, 401K, etc. are exceptionally good.

Cons

Need more people to do so many works.

Not recommended to the people who gives personal life and holiday the highest priority, although many people take reasonably long holidays like 2-3 weeks.

Advice to Management

Many middle class managers need improvement in how to manage the people.
    These days HR started some training courses. So the top management may have a good intention to improve it.

"I like working here"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Clara, CA

I have been working at OmniVision Technologies (More than 5 years)

Pros

I have been reading these Glassdoor reviews for OVT and I just feel compelled to add my own 2 cents…

I have been working here for 5 years and I think overall, this is a pretty good company to work for. First, there are a lot of opportunities for advancement. In the course of 5 years, I have progressed several times. Now of course you have to work hard and have results to show for it; if you do, you can continue to grow steadily, both in position and in pay. Secondly, the people that work here are really a great bunch. They are incredibly smart and have a lot of experiences that you can learn from. They are really friendly and are just genuinely good people who care about you as their colleague. Now, I won’t lie and say there is no politics here. Of course there is. But so does every single other organization, big or small, public or private. This isn’t my first company, or even my second or third. My point is that every single place I have worked at has politics at some level and the politics here isn’t the most severe. I can understand that some people may not like it, but to say this company sucks because of politics just shows that the person saying that haven’t experienced much. The way I see it, it’s all about how you work with others and knowing how to negotiate your position.

As for work-life balance, yes, it’s true that most folks work pretty hard here and there are often times some long hours. But then again, I have friends who work at other high tech companies in the valley and they work well into the “am” hours. Not so much here. You can’t expect banker hours at a tech company. If you want that… well, go be a banker (although I also have i-banker friends and they don’t work any less). I think what the company should do better is offer more flexibility to employees’ work hours. I know some managers allow that, but some don’t. Perhaps the company should institute a culture of flexibility in working hours and/or work from home (make it more acceptable and common). This will go a long way in making it a more friendly work environment.

Let’s move on to benefits. I think the core benefits here are really really exceptional. Our HMO is $5 copay and PPO is $10. If you don’t have dependents, you don’t pay a dime! If you do, I believe the company pays 50% of their premiums. All of my friends that work in other companies in the valley have to pay something for their benefits. My husband works for a big law firm and he pays lots for his benefits. I really don’t know why people are complaining. That said, I do think that the company can do better with variety of benefits. Offer more than just the basic health and life insurance stuff. Also, the company should offer better maternity/paternity leave benefits.

All in all, I think OVT really cares about its employees. The executive team fought hard to give employees as much as they can, especially during the recent merger. I don’t think I can write the specifics here but let’s just say they gave us more than they had to. For those who complain about no free lunch here – where do you think your bonus check came from? The spending that management works hard to control, it goes back to your paychecks! And remember, there is no such thing as free lunch to begin with. (BUT, we do get free dinner whenever we work past 7 pm. So no, there is no free lunch, but there is free dinner! ;-))

Cons

(Glassdoor - you should allow people to write general comments instead of listing Pros and Cons and forcing them to enter at least 5 words)

Advice to Management

See suggestions above

"Potential to grow"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Clara, CA

Pros

Friendly staff, very clean facility, love the water fountains, great coffee machine, lunch activities, and best of all, walking distance to Levi stadium.

Cons

Communication with co worker and management needs improvement. You can be speaking the same language and the other person can still misunderstood you.

I like to list a few suggestions instead of viewing them as Cons

It will be nice to have a few solar panels installed to save power for the company and also create a few electric plug - ins.

Letting employees take off early on Friday will be a nice perk and builds morale also.

Switching to a paperless system will greatly reduce storage, and cut down on cost of paper.

Advice to Management

have some kind of investment into your employees, like building up their skills and encourage promotion from within. If you don't build up your own employee, they will most likely leave since they will view the company as a place with no growth.

"Thumbs Up!"

Current Employee - Anonymous in Santa Clara, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Santa Clara, CA

I have been working at OmniVision Technologies full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

OmniVision offers a comprehensive benefits package including matching 401k. What is even better is that the Company generously pays for the employee only premiums 100%.There are other cool perks like onsite gym access with free yoga and zumba classes, pickup/drop off dry cleaning service, and delivered dinner for employees who work late. I even got a baby kit as a new parent! In the past two months, we have already had a super fun ice cream social (the executives actually served us ice cream while wearing hula skirts!) and a summer picnic at the Santa Cruz Boardwalk. Two lucky employees won $1000 and $500 cash prizes. There were lots of other gift card prizes. Even though I didn't win anything that day, the Company and management team has really made me feel welcome. I would definitely refer my engineering friends to work here!

Cons

None that I can think of.

Advice to Management

Thank you for making this employee feel welcome and appreciated!

9. "Great company to work for ..."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Clara, CA

I have been working at OmniVision Technologies full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I’ve been working at OmniVision for over five years (first as a Temp and then as a Full-time Regular). I have the opportunity to work without too much micromanagement. Feedback from management is constructive. I never had an issue getting requested time off (even if my request is at the last minute). Payroll is more efficient and timely than any other company that I have worked for (Five Stars). The fully paid Health, Vision and Dental benefits meet my needs. I really like getting Christmas through New Years off as part of our Paid Time Off. The co-workers are friendly and cooperative. They have a great Zumba class here … that I need to go to attend more often!

Cons

I would like more pay .. who wouldn't. It would be nice if unused Sick Leave could be accumulated.

"Company Overview"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Clara, CA

Pros

Stable job environment, suitable for married couples.

Cons

Serious company polotics drama going on a lot.

Advice to Management

Should focus on the career development more of the employee.

"Run Away!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

I have been working at OmniVision Technologies full-time

Pros

Cannot think of any pros at this company.

Cons

- No work/life balance
    - Mediocre benefits
    - No company perks commonly found at Silicon Valley tech companies
    - Terrible morale
    - Employees jumping ship
    - No transparency around leadership, strategy, direction
    - Silos between every department, one hand does not know what the other is doing
    - Terrible compensation
    - Layoffs

Advice to Management

As a company, your word is everything and Silicon Valley is a small place. To lay people off and not give them promised severance is outrageously dishonorable. You should be ashamed of yourselves.