Omnicell Reviews | Glassdoor

Omnicell Chairman, President, and CEO Randall A. Lipps
Randall A. Lipps

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Heavy workload, very little work/life balance (in 5 reviews)

• Executive team should talk to mid-level management more often to get a better picture of the market and areas of improvement (in 4 reviews)

"Fumbling"

I worked at Omnicell full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Market share; limited competitors in space; landscape is ripe for expansion and domination

Cons

Poor culture. Limited advancement options. New talent will have challenges overcoming dogma from "established" leadership. Better options in Mountain View to focus your attention.

Advice to Management

Executive team is unprepared to manage a multi-pronged, coordinated approach to growing market share. Still too dependent and focused on the core cabinet product. Executives are not self-aware and willing to acknowledge own short-comings. Acquired a lot of companies recently with great talent that has not been used effectively leading to poor integration and disappointing outcomes. Leveraging back log at this time to "smooth over" the challenges really occurring...

""Consultant""

Current Employee - "Consultant"
    Current Employee - "Consultant"

I have been working at Omnicell full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Few advancements for the hard working knowledge base

Cons

No advancement for the hard working knowledgeable staff. promotions are arbitrary and capricious at best

Advice to Management

it's what you know not who unfortunately. so promote those who know.

"Coordination issues"

Former Employee - Customer Support in Cranberry, PA
    Former Employee - Customer Support in Cranberry, PA

I worked at Omnicell full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Caring persons, competitive benefits, and some incentives

Cons

I started employment in my work function in a family-like atmosphere where all persons would help with an issue of their understanding and would willing to bring you to the same understanding (proved that time allowed). I was simply rated on my ability to provide quality help.
    I ended my time at Omnicell being a subdivided individual that was not kept well informed. My productivity suffered in this cold and calculated, negative focused atmosphere. The stress of having nobody to back me up was great. The pressure to increase performance while being provided little increased knowledge and guidance was unrealistic. Those who were my foundation moved to other areas or found employment elsewhere often resulting in replacement personnel that had less knowledge than I already possessed. The persons that replaced those of experience, on next level up of the company's hierarchy, often focused on scholastic type resolves not experience narrowed to this company's function.
    The new rescheme needed to focus on an individual’s ability to improve the future of the company by getting to know them rather than rely on unproven calculations from numbers that seemed to have no solid basis from cold world described above. I hope it has changed for the friendly, founding people I left behind. The subdivisions within the company were divided in function and only focused on that function - not so bad if there is constant coordination across those divisions. I did not see much of that in my area.
    Omnicell as a whole is dispersed and impersonal.

Advice to Management

Be open and honest to the personnel that you serve if it does not cause a riot

"Project Manager"

Former Employee - Project Manager in Nashville, TN
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Nashville, TN

I worked at Omnicell full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Innovative products and great corporate office location in Silicon Valley. Great benefits.

Cons

Lower than average salary. Management doesn't change and makes excuses for not promoting folks that have put in the work and time.

Advice to Management

Listen to your customer-facing employees and react. Make Omnicell a more fun and rewarding place to work. Great products but concentrate on valuing your employees.

"Manager"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

I worked at Omnicell full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good products and customer service

Cons

Selfish management that is more interested in protecting themselves and treat people as disposable.

Advice to Management

Treat people with respect at all levels of org

"Greetings, fellow Omni"

Current Employee - Software Developer II in Cranberry Twp, PA
    Current Employee - Software Developer II in Cranberry Twp, PA

I have been working at Omnicell full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Some teams get to work with modern tech before it goes mainstream. Most have heavy exposure to enterprise messaging bus platforms like masstransit and modern SPA frameworks like angular.js.

Historically high attrition rates from the engineers afforded us a lax dress code that allows for blue jeans every day. Guys who wear t-shirts and sandals don't seem to catch too much flack.

Time clock is not super strict. Pace of work is mostly kept at sustainable levels.

Good on-site gym.

Some teams may work from home occasionally.

Great on-call pay structure

Great employee stock purchase plan.

Cons

401k match is capped at $2,000.

Substantive specialization of talents is highly discouraged by managers so that it is harder to escape the longer you are here. The ideal candidate is a jack of all trades, master of none.

Employee opinion surveys are rarely met with material change. Two years in a row the employees resoundingly said that health insurance was the top dissatisfier. Rather than take this and actually do something worthwhile about it, the employees were given a series of re-education meetings to mansplain how our insurance coverage and cost structure isn't as bad as we all think.

Firefighters extinguishing their own software arson are frequently rewarded with presidents medals of achievement and promotions while the teams producing sustainable quality are looked down upon.

Agile implementation is a bit of a joke. Every project manager and their superiors want to turn story points into hour commitments on a multi-month plan. Most of the business analysts are incapable of having customer value centric discussions or making product decisions that the customers actually like. Ask about how they had a whole dev tribe labor on supplier configuration in EMM for months only to have it rejected because every customer hated it.

To be fair, most of this anti-agile pressure comes from the budgeting process. Every touch point outside of software development has never been in an agile organization, so when software dev announced, on its own, that they were going agile, you could understand that an impedance mismatch would create.

Hardware team's software is dailywtf.com worthy. It's like taking a time machine to 1996 when you deal with them. Several hardware centric product failures like the windows robot project have not deterred them from course corrections either. The same managers, developers, tools, tech are all in place for all the new hardware initiatives.

Above all else, it has been most dissatisfying to make features in products that we rarely get to improve on. The rough draft gets shipped and little ever gets cleaned up.

Also not entirely convinced that the employee grading represents a meritocracy. I have spent an abnormally high amount of time coaching up to level 3 and 4 developers on 101 programming topics.

Advice to Management

Reward the folks who care. You are running out of them.

"Implementation Manager"

Former Employee - Implementation Manager in Mountain View, CA
    Former Employee - Implementation Manager in Mountain View, CA

I worked at Omnicell full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

1. Dedicated teammates who are passionate about patient safety
    2. Travel position affords visiting some nice places
    3. Award-winning product portfolio

Cons

1. Upper management needs new blood
    2. Difficult to advance
    3. Highly political environment promotes a culture of fear

Advice to Management

1. Appreciate frontline employees more
    2. Bring in new Directors on many levels to reduce stagnation
    3. Create true pathways for employees to advance
    4. Pay better

"Sales"

Current Employee - Systems Sales Director
    Current Employee - Systems Sales Director

I have been working at Omnicell full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great products and my boss is a great guy. They just bought a competitor which adds new products to their portfolio.

Cons

Horrific processes and sales are not respected. It takes days to many approvals just to do a simple task that should only be a mouse click. Commission rates are weak. They are too conservative and cheap!

Advice to Management

You need a true sales professional as a VP. Your culture is broken.

"Poor Mid-level Managers Create Negative Environment"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Omnicell full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The products are great. Many of the people are fantastic.

Cons

Most mid-level managers have no management training or experience. They're promoted because they were good technically, which does not translate to good people management. Management styles are all over the place. Back-room discussions and blame are rampant. Morale is low and turnover is high. The fun, exciting Omnicell culture that was there when I started is gone.

Advice to Management

Train your managers and learn what they are doing. Work harder to retain your good people. Don't forsake your current products and employees in favor of endless acquisitions.

"Crappy PTO & PCs"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

I worked at Omnicell full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Nice people and a company that operates on making a difference in people's lives and health. Fairly easy to accomplish bonus, aka MBO, program. Work/life balance pretty good- for me, not a lot of night or weekend work was needed.

Cons

You're not told until you're hired that 1 of your 2 weeks of PTO has to be used during their company shutdown week (depending on your location may be week of July 4th or around Xmas time). If you don't have PTO to use, you'll have to take unpaid time off.
    Company's IT equipment is awful and makes it impossible to do your job. Windows PCs are crap and their conference phone & video lines are choppy and poor quality.
    Parallel to the healthcare industry, OMCL products are old-looking/feeling and not at all sexy. Overall, the company and its products and employees are the opposite of an exciting startup. Feels like a lot people work there simply because they are complacent and enjoy job security.

Advice to Management

Care about the productivity of your workers and give them functional IT equipment- give a choice btwn Mac or PC.