Omniplan Reviews | Glassdoor

Omniplan Reviews

4.6
Tipton Housewright

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Great environment, wonderful people, fantastic firm!"

Former Intern - Marketing Intern in Dallas, TX
    Former Intern - Marketing Intern in Dallas, TX

I worked at Omniplan as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

I worked at OMNIPLAN full-time for the summer as an intern and I loved it. Everyone there treated me seriously and gave me opportunities to learn about every aspect of architecture. They were always willing to teach me and gave me every chance to try something new and different. I felt very lucky to have that experience as a college student because I came back to school with a much greater understanding of the field and what I wanted in my future. I'd say it showed me what it meant to truly enjoy working.

Cons

The only downside I can think of from working at OMNIPLAN is that now my expectations for my next job are going to be very high. While I was only an intern, whenever I had an idea about how something might work better or more efficiently, they listened to me and took me seriously. Both I and OMNIPLAN benefited from my time there this summer.

2. "Labor of Love"

Former Employee - Marketing Coordinator in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Marketing Coordinator in Dallas, TX

I worked at Omniplan full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

In regards to the passion that architects have for their profession, the saying "architecture is a lifestyle" really is true. The people in the studio are great and they work relentlessly to complete projects on time. There is a corporate sense to the firm, without being overwhelming, which is nice. The salary and bonus are the best I've had to date and tell a great story of how the firm gives back to its employees for working hard every day. Overall, the experiences was pleasant in the short eleven months I was with the firm. It's a tough business, but the principals of the firm know how hard you work if you out in the time, and they show it well.

Cons

Not too many to mention. Overtime is sparse, and you don't get paid extra for OT, but the bonus at the end of the year makes up for the extra time spent creating new work for the firm. Some tension between individuals in the office, but nothing is perfect and that's a commonality of any workplace.

Advice to Management

Regardless of your own opinions or preferences, let some new, innovative creativity expand the reach of the firm, as long as it is good innovation. Being in the safety of the umbrella is nice, but sometimes it is refreshing to step out into the rain to have a new experience.

3. "A great place to make a life"

Current Employee - Architect, Senior Associate in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Architect, Senior Associate in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Omniplan full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I have spent nearly my entire career with Omniplan and have experienced many of life's milestones during that time. I have always felt the support and encouragement of my peers and management, both personally and professionally. It is a hallmark of the firm that each person is viewed as an individual and provided opportunities and some measure of flexibility to achieve their goals.

Cons

As in all architecture firms, there is a cycle that follows the ups and downs of the economy. Omniplan is deeply invested in certain types that are particularly sensitive to market influences. However, the firm continues to diversify the client base and project types to attempt to lessen the inevitable.

Advice to Management

My advice would be to keep striving to maintain the high standards for design, project delivery and interpersonal relationships. Look to our inspirational history as you continue to embrace new ideas and technologies.

"A Breath of Fresh Air"

Current Employee - Project Manager in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Omniplan full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I typically like to explain the culture here at OMNIPLAN as one of a small firm, but we are really one of 60+ talented, unique professionals. OMNIPLAN is a very welcoming workplace. Its leadership fosters creativity and they provide the opportunity to excel for those seeking to make a difference in the built environment. The firm embraces and nurturers that desire for client, industry, firm, and personal betterment. But what makes OMNIPLAN truly specially is the people. From top to bottom, this group of people is outstanding; a testament that the work “family” cliché can be true.

Cons

All works places have cons and OMNIPLAN is no exception. However, their “open door policy” provides the opportunity for an open dialogue regarding those workplace shortcomings. OMNIPLAN welcomes all constructive feedback as to how we can grow as a firm and improve our delivery of a high-design project that is on-time, in-budge, and exceeds the client’s expectations.

Advice to Management

My advice to management is to continue to strive for a better built environment and, most importantly, to nurture your most valuable resource: your people.

5. "Great place to work"

Former Employee - Graphic Designer/Marketing Coordinator in Orange Beach, AL
    Former Employee - Graphic Designer/Marketing Coordinator in Orange Beach, AL

I worked at Omniplan full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I really enjoyed my time at OMNIPLAN. The location is great, the people are great, and the work produced is great!

OMNIPLAN's culture alone makes it worth working there. There are many activities that bring the employees together such as OMNI-Lunch and Pie Day which occur monthly. Beyond that, a group of employees participate in a city soccer league and softball each year. There are also several community events such as Canstruction and Hearts & Hammers that OMNIPLAN participates in every year.

Being a marketing coordinator, I was tasked with maintaining the marketing materials as well as create RFQ submittals. I was given the opportunity to do a lot of other creative and enjoyable projects as well. I was able to create an app for the ipad that allows the business development people to show off OMNIPLAN's portfolio in an interesting way. I was also given the creative freedom to really push the design in many of the new marketing pieces, and my role eventually evolved into more of a Graphic Designer / Marketing Coordinator role.

From my experience, management tries to take care of the employees. This was my first job out of school. My compensation starting out was just adequate, but they recognized my hard work and gave me a nice raise and bonus after less than a year of employment.

I eventually left OMNIPLAN after my daughter was born to live closer to my family (and the beach). Otherwise, I would still be happily working there today.

Cons

There is a lot of work that needs to be done, and sometimes there is not enough time in the day. I had to work late sometimes to finish projects, but it was not an everyday or even an every week thing. Late nights were sometimes even enjoyable if any others were in the office.

Advice to Management

Keep each other in check. Continue treating your employees well. Keep up the good work in the community as well as the industry.

"Started out great but then found it to be one big sinking ship."

Former Employee - Designer in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Designer in Dallas, TX

Pros

they have an excellent benefits package

Cons

Too many cooks in the kitchen, forms a committee to get everybodys opinion before making even a simple decision. Allows dead weight in upper management to stick around while letting go of the younger 'worker bees'. Who's left to do the work?

Advice to Management

Allowing the young designers to get pigeon holed into doing the same thing over and over allows for little growth. Watch out for the female project managers. Somehow, they get away with treating others with little or no respect.

7. "Receptionist/Administrative Assistant"

I worked at Omniplan full-time

Pros

Honestly, one of the best reasons to work at Omniplan are the people! The architectural and design world is a demanding one, so everyone it helps having great people around you! This company also makes a point to invest in their employees through fun corporate lunches, annual gatherings and personal celebrations. There a sense of community here!

I also value the high level of integrity and respect when regards to their design, work, clients, and co-workers.

Cons

Depending on how the projects were flowing in, definitely influenced how people were doing. It's great for business to have lots of projects, but then can be quite demanding on staff. I realize that's part of this industry, though.

Advice to Management

Keep investing and caring for your employees!

8. "Designer"

Current Employee - Commercial Interior Design
    Current Employee - Commercial Interior Design

Pros

fun work environment
    attend lots of learning meetings
    met lots of outside consultants
    was able to work alone and with a team

Cons

seem to get put into a pidgin hole with work
    limited in terms of growing and moving forward because of the internal structure of the company
    project managers seem to over control teams and overlook talent
    it was only a job not a 'career'

Advice to Management

be more open minded to youthful talent
    certain project managers would treat their team one way and yet
    to the faces of her bosses she would kiss butt.

9. "Prettige gedreven club met oog voor de medewerkers"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Amsterdam (Netherlands)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Amsterdam (Netherlands)

I have been working at Omniplan full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Goede werksfeer, genoeg uitdagingen in zowel werk als persoonlijke ontwikkeling. Mooi pand op geweldige locatie en bereikbaarheid.

Cons

ik zie op dit moment nog geen verbeterpunten die ik kan noemen over het bedrijf waar ik met plezier werk.

Advice to Management

Het nog meer inzetten van de kracht van de huidige populatie kan het bedrijf naar een nog grotere hoogte brengen.