Omnitec Solutions Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated April 17, 2017

3.3
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Morris L. Brown

1. "Revenue comes before Integrity/Honesty"

Former Employee - Analyst in Silver Spring, MD
    Former Employee - Analyst in Silver Spring, MD

Pros

cannot think of anything positive

Cons

1. they treat you well if (AND ONLY IF) you do what you're told, and don't raise a stink when the customer subjects you to a hostile, back-stabbing environment.
    2. Regardless of all the "above and beyond" things you do for the customer (and hence make Omnitec look good), if the customer gets miffed, Omnitec only takes the side of the customer without trying to understand/fix the issue.
    2. Medical Insurance premiums increase. And so does the deductibles; they find the cheapest plan

Advice to Management

No matter how educated, talented, rich, or cool you believe you are, how you treat people ultimately tells all. Integrity is everything.

Apr 24, 2017 – Director of Communications

We are very sorry to see you left OMNITEC with such a negative impression. Please feel free to reach out to our HR through this site if you would like to discuss any of your experiences in further ... More

2. "There is no small government contractor that is better to work for"

Current Employee - Business Operations Manager, Analyst, Writer, Recruiter in Lexington Park, MD

I have been working at Omnitec Solutions (More than 8 years)

Pros

Flexible Schedules
    Small company, so lots of personalized attention from the overhead staff.
    Meaningful work for the government customer
    Great management support for on-site employees

Cons

I can't think of any Cons. This truly is the best experience I've had in working for gov't contractors in over 30 years.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work!

Apr 18, 2017 – Director, Strategic Leadership

Thank you for the comments!

3. "Decent company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bethesda, MD
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bethesda, MD

I have been working at Omnitec Solutions (Less than a year)

Pros

Once you prove yourself you can have a flexible schedule, possibly telework, and there tends to be a relaxed atmosphere in my part of the business. The CEO seems genuinely interested in the employees.

Cons

Less professional than desired. This isn't the end of the world; it's just different from what I am used to.

Apr 18, 2017 – Director, Strategic Leadership

We appreciate your feedback! Please feel free to reach out to OMNITEC HR if you have any issues at all.

5. "Solid tech contractor"

Current Contractor - Systems Administrator
    Current Contractor - Systems Administrator

I have been working at Omnitec Solutions as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

Very friendly and approachable staff. Everyone seems to have an open door policy and are typically willing to help.
    Good contract rates.
    Not too much micro-management from Omnitech.

Cons

Benefits were recently changed over to a new provider and are less than great, still decent-ish for the area.
    Payroll is a little funky with cutoffs occurring on the last day and 15th but the deposit sometimes not hitting for 2-3 business days after that. This isn't really a hard "con" but it can be annoying when compared to other contractors that pay weekly.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work. Omnitech is one of the better contractors I have worked with in the area.

Apr 18, 2017 – Director, Strategic Leadership

Thank you for your review!

"Owner & CEO only cares about making himself richer"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bethesda, MD
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bethesda, MD

I worked at Omnitec Solutions full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I really wish I had so pros to list. I don't know why I stayed as long as I did. There was no support from company management. They expect you to work 24/7/365 just so the owner looks good. You can work every holiday every year and never be recognized.

Cons

Horrible benefits
    Discriminates against single, childless employees
    Does not respond to claims of sexual harassment
    Bad pay
    Lack of growth potential
    Lack of support (specifically do not hire enough employees so owner can get more money)

Advice to Management

Try to maybe just pretend you care. Let your employees use their earned time and don't make them feel guilty for using and not responding to emails when on vacation. Being in the contract business, be more considerate with time to tell employees there is a chance you won't win the bid vs waiting until 4:30pk on a Friday and over no warning or severance.

Apr 19, 2017 – Director, Strategic Leadership Support & Communications

Hello, we understand you have concerns about your employment experience. The benefits OMNITEC offers are some of the best in the business and the company takes great care to continuously review ... More

7. "8a Government Contractor"

I worked at Omnitec Solutions (More than a year)

Pros

This company pays above average salaries. Because it is a minority set-aside firm, it tends to get more of the "higher-hanging fruit," all other factors being equal. When I was employed by OMNITEC, an opportunity came along to receive the next level up in the security clearance ladder, which enhanced my career.

Cons

The company doesn't pay a lot of attention to you once you are on-site, so you are at the mercy of the government customers you work for. If you happen to wind up working for a lazy lifer, then work life can be a downer.

Apr 18, 2017 – Director, Strategic Leadership

Thank you for your review and comments.

8. "Hard to find a better place to work"

Current Employee - Web Developer in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Web Developer in Washington, DC

I have been working at Omnitec Solutions full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

It all starts at the top. The owner's primary philosophy is "Hire smart people who know how to do their job, then stay the hell out of their way." That's a direct quote. Some of the brightest software guys (and gals) I've ever met work here. There is an excellent technical support environment for those who care to take advantage of it. If you don't know, ask; someone there has the answer. Sometimes a quick consult with a peer over IM chat or a Google Hangout is all it takes to get a fresh perspective or the answer to a technical challenge I'm facing. It's an excellent place for technical and professional growth; lots of opportunity for independent thinkers. All in all, this is the best job I've ever had, and I've been here over 10 years. My software development career spans over 35 years.

Cons

The company is spread out across the country over multiple locations and there are many people I've never met. That means there are resources I can't tap because I'm not aware of them. Cross-site communication could be better. If you're just looking for a place to get promoted, this is likely not the company for you. In a 200-ish employee company, the hierarchy is not deep, so if ladder-climbing is your thing you may want to look elsewhere.

Advice to Management

I saw another review mention a lack of corporate events. There used to be more of them when the company was younger and smaller. I miss those. It's also the best way to meet and get to know some of our folks in the area who are not at our particular site.

Apr 18, 2017 – Director, Strategic Leadership

Thank you for your review and insight.

"Horrible company"

Former Contractor - Desktop Support in Buffalo, NY
    Former Contractor - Desktop Support in Buffalo, NY

I worked at Omnitec Solutions as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

no interviews or background checks weekly pay

Cons

Favoritism, low pay, no benefits no opportunity work hard or no hours if you are not the favorite they will not schedule you at all.

Advice to Management

please award those who work hard not those you favorite and up the pay please.

Apr 18, 2017 – Director, Strategic Leadership

Hello, I believe you have posted to the wrong company. We do have extensive background checks and most of our employees are DoD cleared. Also, our pay is twice a month, not weekly. I'm very sorry to ... More

10. "Small gov't contracting firm with lots of mutlimedia opportunities that cares about their employees and product."

Current Employee - AV/Broadcast Technician in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - AV/Broadcast Technician in Washington, DC

I have been working at Omnitec Solutions full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

There are a variety of media, IT, and engineering jobs across the company. They get a lot of people through internal recommendations, which makes for a familial atmosphere. People who leave are able to come back. The number of contracts is growing (even while some contracts are shrinking due to government budget cuts).

Cons

Not the best benefits (insurance specifically), and few perks. Experiences vary between contracts and bosses. It sometimes feels like profit comes before employees.

Advice to Management

More company-wide events would help employees learn more about the company, its contracts, and its employees.

Apr 18, 2017 – Director, Strategic Leadership

Thank you for the feedback. Please always feel free to contact OMNITEC HR with any suggestions you may have for events or other benefits.

11. "One of the Greatest Companies I've Ever Worked For"

Former Employee - Conference Manager/Program Analyst in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Conference Manager/Program Analyst in Washington, DC

Pros

The owner is a great guy with integrity, character and a genuine concern for his employees.
    There is room to grow.
    The owner fully supports your professional development.
    They have a great company morale.

Cons

In my two years of working with this company, I honestly didn't have any downsides.

Advice to Management

Continue to treat your employees with respect and they will continue to be loyal to Omnitec. A lot of companies can learn from you all. You've created a great place to work.

Apr 19, 2017 – Director of Communications

We do have great respect for all OMNITEC employees and hope you are having continued success in your career and life.