Omnitracs Reviews | Glassdoor

2.8
Omnitracs CEO Ray Greer
Ray Greer

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Great laid back environment, not micro managing and flexible on time off" (in 10 reviews)

• "Excellent work environment ascetically" (in 16 reviews)

Cons
  • "Low pay is a real issue so high turnover rate" (in 13 reviews)

• "This is why we have issues hiring experienced mid-career talent and why we have a glut of 20-somethings in entry-level" (in 8 reviews)

1. "Great Place Beautiful Office"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Towson, MD
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Towson, MD

I have been working at Omnitracs full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good Pay Friendly People and anAmazing Environment

Cons

A lot of Debugging initially.

Advice to Management

Send more Opportunity

2. "Lack of Leadership Follow Through and Internally Flawed"

Former Employee - Product Manager in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Product Manager in Dallas, TX

I worked at Omnitracs full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Depending on what and where you are working there is a good amount of autonomity with management allowing you to accomplish your tasks.

Cons

It's a rotating door and the company treats anyone who isn't a VP or above a disposable. Everyone is working in separate directions and the overall company vision is blurred and changes from day to day while the executive team chases the next shiny penny.

Advice to Management

Listen to your people and act proactively to keep good talent. A double-digit goal for attrition is abhorrent.

"Average"

Former Employee - Business Development Representative in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Business Development Representative in Dallas, TX

I worked at Omnitracs full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great Job Out Of College. Good Pay, Good Benefits, Cool Atmosphere In the Middle of Downtown. Great Lunch Spots.

Cons

Management ignored every complaint when I was there & Acted in their own interest.
    Average Product, hard to find longevity in it.
    Some Sr Workers looked down upon younger, millennial staff.
    Move Up or Move Out Sales & BD Culture.
    No Culture.
    I could go on, but you get it.

Advice to Management

Get a Better Product. Get a Culture. Hire Management that isn't hardheaded. Be Honest.

"Place could be great, but they are thinking too small..."

Current Employee - Technical Support Specialist in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Technical Support Specialist in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Omnitracs full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great place for entry level job seekers. Come in grab your experience and leave

Cons

Not a place to stay and grow. Evaluations are based on feeling and not on facts

Advice to Management

Departments don't work together and think and act as if they don't and won't ever need the help of another department. This lack of communication affects the customer the most.

"Trending Downward....Fast"

I worked at Omnitracs full-time

Pros

Good stepping stone to another job? Not much good to say about the professional life; the office space would appeal to the millennials. Location is convenient if you don't mind living downtown in an apartment.

Cons

Loosing market share. Extremely high turn over rate. No loyalty to existing employees. HR is a joke. C-level staff still seems to be trying to find out how to run a company putting the entire workforce at risk.

Advice to Management

Value and keep the talent that you have. Too bad you didn't know how to run a company and had to hire a consultant to advise you.

"Another 1-Star Review, Same Awful Experience at Omnitracs"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I worked at Omnitracs full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Free coffee
    Beautiful views of downtown
    Revolving door on the building AND the hiring so there's always plenty of job openings
    Free favoritism
    Risk-free racism
    Nice nepotism
    And a pretty swanky pool table in the break room

Cons

It's a hostile work environment and you will be underpaid.

I'm just going to copy/paste what's already been said before.

It's ALL ACCURATE and sad that many people have had the same awful experience as at this company. HR knows and looks the other way.
    A direct quote from HR, "I don't care what it says on GlassDoor!"

I have never seen a more disengaged HR team in my professional life. So unhelpful and aloof.
    Low pay
    High turnover
    Back-filling positions with inexperienced, underpaid, overworked college grads or H-1B isn't the answer.
    HR does NOTHING when you have a sincere complaint and problem with how management is treating you. This includes harassment of any sort, racism and sexism.

"People don't quit their jobs. They quit terrible managers."
    Management - welcome to the good ol boys clubs, don't forget favoritism
    Management that brags about their years of experience but won't provide the resources or support that is needed or even signs of leadership.
    Management does not know to manage and coach a hamster if it came down to it. The worst leadership I have seen. It's so bad that senior management and HR knows of the racial and favoritism going on and no one has done a single thing to fix it.
    The management with this company is unorganized and unprofessional.
    You will be set up for failure because management doesn't care about how you feel, nor will they listen to anything you have to say.
    Management has their favorites and if your not one, too bad for you.

I'm not even sure what the marketing department does because they sure didn't help promote any products in any of the departments.
    Marketing department that won't respond to feedback or take considerations

You will not be given the right tools to succeed with this company.
    Future state technology vision was ambiguous.
    Lack of career path and advancement opportunities.
    constant internal reviews and employee 'modules' to complete; micro-management
    There is no real training like they promise there would be.
    No training don't understand how they promised us that, when at the end they terminate people without allowing them 30 days to improve.
    Talent is squandered within the organization. Little to no mobility (upward or otherwise).
    Inaccurate data displaying top performers on top because management undercoverly hands them qualify leads.
    -The system that we were given to work with is slow and crashes a lot. This company refuses to pay to have it updated as well as refuses to pay for new lead sources that are reliable.
    -The departments are like daycare's and frat houses. If you're into that then this job is beyond perfect for you!
    -There is no way to move up the corporate ladder which means you can forget about a promotion or the recognition of doing a good job.
    -Sales cycle process that has no effective closing rate

Despite how hard you work and how hard you try at your job you will still get let go at the end of the day without a logical explanation as to why.
    "Take the paycheck but keep looking"
    "Look somewhere else"
    If you need a job work here and keep looking for something better because a check is better than no check

Advice to Management

Management doesn't want advice.

"Horrible in every way"

I worked at Omnitracs full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

They finally upgraded the coffee machine that broke every two days

Cons

Where to start?

1. Management is abysmal - my direct manager walked around with a constant scowl on his face, never smiled or said hello to anyone, yet wanted everyone else to be friendly to him. Only ever talked to you if something was wrong, and singled people out in meetings for falling short of sprint goals. I witnessed him actually yell at people on multiple occasions. Everyone else was to blame, not him. Completely and utterly unprofessional.

2. Extremely high turnover rate - when I started, there were a few people who had been there 5+ years, but 75% of my dept were there for 6 months or less. When the recruiter called me to say I was offered the position, he said the only caveat was that the dept manager wanted me to “promise” that I wouldn’t take the offer and shop it elsewhere during my time there. If you have to ask people not to do this upon initial job offer, YOU’RE DOING SOMETHING WRONG.

3. The product is just bad - I worked on 4 teams while I was there, and each offering was entirely outdated in terms of tech debt, and absolutely showed its age. The company preaches innovation and forward thinking, yet the base of their software is built on 20+ year old tech, with no plans to get out from under it.

Final thoughts - when literally everyone you talk to that’s been there for a long time talks about how much better they used to be (before they were bought out by Vista), you know that’s not a good thing. This place may be good for some experience, but honestly it’s more of a burden to have to explain away my limited time there on my resume. I learned nothing I didn’t already know from my time there, and honestly it set me back considerably career-wise to take this job and work here for the time that I did.

Advice to Management

Invest in your people, because right now they are treated as if they are expendable, and then upper management holds meetings asking why attrition is so high. Take a look at your management team in each department. If they look miserable and unapproachable, chances are they don’t just have RBF. Getting yelled at in a full office by superiors is absolutely ridiculous and should not be happening in a professional environment. People shouldn’t be forced to walk on egg shells every day in the office just to be able to do their jobs.

"Outdated Company That Will Fade Fast"

Former Employee - Information Technology in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Information Technology in Dallas, TX

I worked at Omnitracs full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Good experience for college grads
    -Experience with technology you couldn't get elsewhere
    -Dallas office is nice
    -Easy going work environment

Cons

-Pay is not competitive
    -Lied about bonus
    -High Turnover
    -Lost most talent due to mismanagement

Advice to Management

Fake reviews knocked my review from 3 stars to 1. Vista is turn and burn with this company, so there's not much I can do as far as a review other than to warn people from joining something that's going to be sold as soon as possible. When I first joined it seemed like it had potential, but the company quickly started to ruin itself when it didn't keep talent and sell itself(which failed).

"Changes Underwhelming / No time allocated to leading or managing."

I have been working at Omnitracs full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good people, with good intentions. Some of the culture is so good it is what keeps people around. "Empowerment" is a double edged sword.

Recommendations to friend: If you can negotiate a good comp stay, if the comp is bad leave after a year. Promotions are thrown out like candy in place of raises.

Cons

Failure to execute. Everyone wants to do what needs to be done, they just "can't."
    - Can't execute: Employees at varying levels are blocked from doing what needs to be done. Other employees use it as an excuse not to do what needs to be done.

Pay is still a problem for some even after the "big" adjustments. Either a signal for someone to leave or failure to explain the decision.

Still a disconnect between Senior Management and Middle Management. Does middle management talk to anyone, above or below?

Advice to Management

Be more direct from Senior Leadership to Middle Management. Increase manager responsibilities on Mid management and reduce their individual contributor responsibilities.

"Communication - Not!"

I worked at Omnitracs full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great people to work with at peer level. Management not is much. For the most part a good work/life balance.

Cons

Mgt does not communicate often enough, especially at leadership level. Benefits so-so. Lots of changes. Clear company is reorganizing to sell the company. Lots of good people let go, while hanging on to iffy workers. So all about $$ not quality of work people bring to the table. It's a shame.

Advice to Management

They are going to do what they want, how they want. No advice will change the mindset at this juncture. Good luck.