On Target Jobs Reviews | Glassdoor

2.7
Michael Tansey

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Not a Bad Place"

I worked at On Target Jobs full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great work life balance and stability. People are nice, management was supportive, great learning opportunity.

Cons

Great place for stability, but due to structure, lateral changes are more common. Which isn't a bad thing.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work. Actually enjoyed my time at onTargetjobs.

2. "Be careful"

Former Employee - Salesfloor Electronics in Frisco, TX
    Former Employee - Salesfloor Electronics in Frisco, TX

Pros

Receiving my pay every 2 weeks.

Cons

1) Got too many weeks off
    2) Mistreatment by the HR and the people in charge of the departments.
    3) HR got angry at me for leaving at 12 am. 12 am was the time I clock out but I previously told her that I was unable to stay past that hour due to college.
    4) There's too much drama and chit chatting going on in the clerical.
    5) I had to wake up at 4 am to go to work and worked for 20 minutes until I was told to report to the HR office. I was permanently dismissed.
    6) I did the best that I could but I was constantly pressured and rushed into finishing my zones and reshops.
    7) Most days I would be the only team zoning the entire blue hardlines during closing.
    8) little to no proper training whatsoever. Somethings I had to learn on my own.
    9) Lack of communication in the workplace.

Advice to Management

Target corporation needs to investigate Target at Preston Ridge in Frisco, TX. This needs to stop soon.

3. "bag boy"

I worked at On Target Jobs part-time

Pros

Good first job, made decent money

Cons

Nothing really that bad in my position

Advice to Management

Give junior employees the opportunity to make more money

4. "warehouse"

Former Employee - Softlines in Greenbelt, MD
    Former Employee - Softlines in Greenbelt, MD

Pros

They look out for you

Cons

But they will work yu to death with little hours..

Advice to Management

The rewards you are suppose to recieve that's in the handbook, Please follow through. .

"It's a good thing this company was acquired."

Pros

Actually the best reason to work here was flexibility. However, I do believe that you could read flexible as no one really caring.

Cons

The management and specifically HR is horrible. Collectively they have zero people skills, there is no company culture except hurry up and wait for the next shoe to drop. If you are not young, pretty, dumb and amiable, don't work here.

Advice to Management

If you are going to run a people oriented business, like this one, I would suggest hiring people that actually cared about other people. It starts internally, and if management and HR collectively do not care about their employees, how do they expect their employees to go out and connect with clients and build a successful business?

6. "Ok place to work"

Pros

Good team work good managers lots of flexible hours discounted merchandise friendly patrons clean store fairness to workers

Cons

not ht best starting pay rates very close to min wage and hourly employees takes a long time for pay hikes

Advice to Management

better pay

7. "Sinking ship, do not get on board."

Former Employee - Account Executive in Englewood, CO
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Englewood, CO

I worked at On Target Jobs full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Money used to be great, now it's okay.
    Good place to start at the entry level and get your first promotion.
    Fun sales people

Cons

"Do more, take less" was managements mantra each and every time commission goals and pay structure were rolled out. To a degree that's what you expect anywhere you go, but it got really extreme.

If you expect to be treated fairly, or have the same level of opportunities as the other people with your exact same title, prepare to be disappointed. The way it works there is that they decide who they like, and they set those people up for success, and they decide who they don't like and set those people up for failure. How they decide who they do and do not like is a mystery, and it certainly doesn't have to do with sales ability. So some people do no real work and get great paychecks, and some people bust their asses and have nothing to show for it.

Advice to Management

1. Product issues are not solved with better selling.
    2. The production of a top seller is not as easily replaced as you must think (even though that's what your bottom line clearly says, clearly it's not a message that has gotten through)
    3. Either stop having sales meetings, or listen to your sales people.

"I'm so glad I didn't read GlassDoor before I took this job."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

I have been working at On Target Jobs full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

* Amazing People - both in management and in the trenches
    * Great Environment - the offices are super nice, big desks, newly updated technology
    * Interesting Work - there's social good in helping people find jobs
    * Best-of-Breed Architecture - new code uses DDD, CQRS, and other solid patterns
    * Transparency - publish a lot of internal metrics and publishing more all the time
    * Fun Activities - pot lucks, softball, volleyball, Wii Bowling league, MarioKart tournaments, quarterly hackathons, happy hours, the list goes on...

I'm so glad I didn't read GlassDoor before I took this job. Apparently OTJ under previous management didn't have the best reputation and some of the other reviews on here show it. That said, I have enjoyed working here immensely, getting to know the crew, and helping to build best-of-breed job boards.

Cons

* Not a lot of innovation time outside of the quarterly hackathons
    * Only a few cross-department activities (softball, vollyball, potlucks) which makes it more difficult to get to know people outside of your quadrant of the office
    * Parking is available in the tower, but most people have to park at the top of the tower, even though the covered parking levels are mostly empty

Advice to Management

Continue with the increasing transparency and increase investment in new technologies. Develop new ways to encourage cross-department cooperation that doesn't have to go through the mid-level managers.

9. "Revolving Door"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

I have been working at On Target Jobs full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Free drinks at company events

Cons

Bad performance reviews, STAR Awards are a popularity contest nominated by peers instead of management, executive team likes to stroll the office towards the end of the day to make sure you are at your desk working, most of the executive team flies into Denver on a weekly basis while people are being laid off great way to spend money!!!!, no chance for advancement, no on-going training, no collaboration across the organization, marketing department is a revolving door, sales department is unhappy and no one seems to notice, too much turn over in IT and I don't know the name of anyone in accounting.

I've seen some of the reviews on here that are decent rating and I feel like it's someone in HR doing it so the company doesn't look bad. Too Late!

Advice to Management

Stop hiring from outside the company as there are plenty of qualified people under your nose. Too much of a "good old boys club" that you cannot get into (unless you are married to a member).

I also feel like management would not be able to do my job, I would love to see someone on the executive/management team sell a package to an employer, handle payment issues or try to fix someone's email issues.

10. "Chop shop"

Current Employee - Sales in Rockville, MD
    Current Employee - Sales in Rockville, MD

I have been working at On Target Jobs full-time

Pros

Was the best company in the world before it was sold.

Cons

Was the face of a VC who liked to buy out niche job boards enticing company recruiters to post their jobs on a more "industry-specific" site in hopes of finding more fitting, qualified, "passive" job seekers than the usual suspects on the general sites (IE CBuilder, Monster, etc...) could have been a great concept but no effort, money, strategizing, or personnel standards were even attempted. The "plans for restructure" and using our new investors' money to gain exposure and improve product management were nil. Instead they focused more on cutting the fat, setting people up with sales territories doomed to fail while others basked in commission, and sales plummeted. Job posting packages were being made up on the spot for the sake of making the sale. One example- usual cost to post one job was $400. It was common practice to throw free postings (one contract was for 10,000 postings at $1499/Month) because the postings produced no hires or qualified applicants to ANY clients. In fact most postings received an average of 3 views and .2 applies (educated and in no way sarcastic guess). The The niche boards were spread out all over the country and even though EACH one of them was provided a complete C and VP Level Staff brought in by the VC, the CEO's just shrugged until most of the boards ran themselves into the ground.

Advice to Management

If you are in middle management, you will be the last to be told and the most affected. Do research on repercussions if your company is acquired and what to look out for when the new suits start making changes.