OnDeck Reviews | Glassdoor

2.9
OnDeck CEO Noah Breslow
Noah Breslow

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Laid back atmosphere focused on getting work done but not inhibiting the work-life balance (in 23 reviews)

• Relatively flat organization ; friendly work environment ; strong commitment to helping small businesses (in 25 reviews)

Cons
  • The work life balance is odd - there are definitely cliques that can be hard to break through as an employee (in 7 reviews)

• There are no "cons" working at OnDeck (in 5 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Great People + Bright Outlook for Technology"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at OnDeck full-time (More than a year)

Pros

When evaluating an opportunity I think through the following items:

Industry:
    OnDeck is a FinTech company that has disrupted an industry by bringing in excellent customer experience, speed, advanced technology, and has set a new standard that large banks simply did not provide. An example is the Chase partnership where OnDeck powers Chase's small business lending by licensing its proprietary technology. The company has announced another bank partnership in the pipeline - an increased role and impact for technology!

Impact:
    Employees are motivated by the opportunity to help small business owners grow their business, hire employees, provide for their families, and realize the American dream.

CEO:
    Noah is very personable, approachable, thoughtful, and open to listening to employee ideas. He greets you by name if you walk by each other. Overall, he really cares about his employees and is very passionate about the mission of OnDeck.

Leadership:
    - Technology leadership is very strong. Highly approachable and personable, they really look after the satisfaction and well-being of their employees. Tech Leads & Architecture play a vital role in the strategy and design of any tech initiative to ensure implementations are scalable and reusable.

- The Product Managers are high caliber and great leaders, many have tech backgrounds and PMs sit directly with the tech teams, which increases overall collaboration and effectiveness of the teams.

- The Sales leadership essentially built the sales teams from the ground up and bring an infectious level of passion to work everyday and care about developing their team. Important to have a solid revenue generation machine.

Growth and Exit Opportunities:
    Tuition reimbursement program, tech talks, exposure to technologies, conferences (like AWS), career development tracks. Regarding exit opportunities, the caliber is high as a few of the engineers and analytics folks went to Google and Facebook after a few years at OnDeck.

Overall Culture:
    Despite layoffs earlier in 2017, the outlook for 2018 looks definitively better. Great place to work, tech culture with snacks and beer, impromptu happy hours, 2 great holiday parties / yr. Ultimately it's the people that really matter and OnDeck has great people.

Cons

The Risk department has seen pretty high attrition - although the team is pretty effective as it has essentially met the mandate of ensuring OnDeck is lending responsibly evidenced by the lowered loss provision rate.

"Fantastic Company"

Current Employee - Legal Department
    Current Employee - Legal Department

I have been working at OnDeck full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Competitive Salary, Work/Life Balance, Employee Appreciation, Work from Home when Needed, Great Benefits

Cons

Out of date software i.e. Salesforce

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing. I love coming to work every day.

"Good ride @ OnDeck"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at OnDeck full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Most people are nice and friendly; Ample opportunities to grow and learn; good numbers of Happy hours and Parties; You get to wear multiple hats

Cons

Not many passionate and smart people left; you can find grey areas where there is lack of accountability and responsibility which makes finding or doing things exhaustive

Advice to Management

Focus on what's important now. Trickle management goals all the way down to all departments in its true form and have the right measures at all level to quantify it; make data or insights speak for itself. Make sure upper management gets a direct and honest feedback from leaf-level employees. Most times not getting any feedback is NOT a good sign. Donot lower the hiring bar, smart and great people are what drives OnDeck.

"Run FAR away from this place!"

Former Employee - Operations
    Former Employee - Operations

I worked at OnDeck full-time

Pros

No pros. This place is a parasite. It sucks all of the positive energy out of you. They lie to their employees, and do away with them when they’re done using them.

Cons

Layoff after layoff. More lies. FAVORITISM. You will dread going to work everyday. The culture has changed and it hasn’t been the same since 2015.

Advice to Management

No advice because there’s no saving this place.

"Glad I left"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at OnDeck full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I am so glad I am no longer with OnDeck. The firm lost its culture and its brilliance in 2017. What's left of it is IMHO a hallmark of incompetence, not that it ever was very competent. I easily moved to a job paying me 40K more per year.

Cons

The longer you stay, the more incompetent you'll get, and will even start to think it's normal, but it is not.

Advice to Management

Why does a team need so many managers -- product manager, project manager, team lead, scrum master, and actual manager? The real work isn't done by any of them.

6. "Moving in the Right Direction"

Current Employee - Tech Ops in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Tech Ops in Denver, CO

I have been working at OnDeck full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Benefits such as healthcare, unlimited time off, stocked food/drinks, and 401k match. Offices are amazing, especially the Denver and NYC locations. Laid back atmosphere focused on getting work done but not inhibiting the work-life balance. Many opportunities to learn new parts of the business and add skills for my future. Easy to reach managers and communicate when needed.

Cons

Limited resources in some areas due to past layoffs.

Advice to Management

Keep up the transparency and pushing in the right direction. Morale seems better than one year ago and staff is happy to work hard for the business. Continue hiring great staff.

7. "Renewed spirit, focus and passion"

Current Employee - Operations Manager in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Operations Manager in Denver, CO

I have been working at OnDeck full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The energy is exciting and positive, there's definitely room for growth here. I am very well supported in my role, managers and leadership are all very accessible and listen.

Cons

I have one at this time.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work! Appreciate the communication and transparency!

"Fun"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

I worked at OnDeck full-time

Pros

Some great people, fun office environment

Cons

poor management, minimal growth opportunities, terrible communication

Advice to Management

reevaluate some managers

9. "Renewal Sales Associate"

Current Employee - Renewal Sales Associate in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Renewal Sales Associate in New York, NY

I have been working at OnDeck full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Openness of the company. - Everyone has been wonderful and pleasant. They have all been great with offering help if needed.

Training - As a new employee coming from the same industry, I have to say the training and attention to new hires is way above any other company. I truly feel I can be successful here. The quality of service and care given to OnDecks customers is driven home in training and makes me feel comfortable backing their product above any other company I have worked for in this industry.

Benefits - Are great, fully covered on anything you could want or need plus some.

Culture - The atmosphere here is amazing. I felt at home here and comfortable since my first interview. Everyone is relaxed and not aggressive towards each other. Coming from a sales background, I did not have that at my last company.

Interview process - OnDeck really took their interview process seriously. They wanted to make sure who they hired would work well with the other employees. So it was nice to see such care taken. You can tell that everyone here is on the same level with their work ethic, seriousness as well as social behaviors.

Side Note * A lot of my colleagues have been here for a while, that says a lot by itself to me..... I love that.

Cons

I have no cons as of now. That's not to say I wont in the future, as I plan on being here for a while, but my experience has been truly positive so far.

Advice to Management

I have an awesome manager and team.

"Great place to start a career in sales"

I worked at OnDeck full-time

Pros

The sales culture is strong and you will get to develop exceptional sales skills because the product (i.e. high interest rate small business loans) are hard to sell

For a specialty finance company, the perks are pretty good

Cons

Upward mobility is limited to those who actively 'manage-up'. there is a exceptionally highly level of acceptance for mediocracy in certain divisions

Advice to Management

be consistent with your company objectives and messaging.

if you want to retain exceptional talent (especially in technology), the only way to do so is operate as a true meritocracy even if that disrupts the status quo or makes people that have been at the company longer feel uncomfortable.