OnDeck Reviews | Glassdoor

3.7
OnDeck CEO Noah Breslow
Noah Breslow

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Work-life balance is very healthy" (in 28 reviews)

• "Through all the change, no compromise to the mission, to help small businesses be successful" (in 28 reviews)

Cons
  • "The work life balance is odd - there are definitely cliques that can be hard to break through as an employee" (in 6 reviews)

• "The company is going through its share of growing pains at the moment" (in 7 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Rewarding experience"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in New York, NY

I have been working at OnDeck full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I have been working at Ondeck for almost 4 years and has seen an incredible transition from last year when there were layoffs and a lot of attrition. Ondeck has made an amazing turnaround from last year and now is a profitable and stable company. There is a lot of engineering talent here and lots of cool initiatives that have been happening which will really help an engineer. Most of the negative reviews are from people who were unfortunately part of the layoffs. But things have changed a lot here and I would highly recommend Ondeck from engineering point of view. Lots of smart people to learn from and lots of cool and new technologies to learn here. My experience has been very positive here and I hope Ondeck keeps investing in technology and engineering.

Cons

The only con i think of is probably we can add levels to Software Engineers. right now we have Software Engineer, Senior Software Engineer and then Principal Engineer for IC. Might be a good idea to add levels so that people can progress in small steps rather than looking for only big jump.

Advice to Management

Please continue to invest in technology and engineering.
    Please have more 1:1 between engineers and higher management to fill in the gaps if any.

Jan 25, 2019 – Company Response

Thank you for the feedback on the levels. It's definitely something we have talked about as a leadership team and will consider again going forward. Regarding 1:1's, please know that your feedback is... More

"Love OnDeck and Love My Team"

Current Employee - People Operations in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - People Operations in Denver, CO

I have been working at OnDeck full-time (More than a year)

Pros

OnDeck has gone through a few ups and downs in the last few years, but came out on top in 2018. The hard decisions that were made in 2017 ended up having a positive impact on the company and our culture eventually bounced back. We've had numerous former employees (who left during the tough part of 2017) actually come back to join the company.

In my own work, I have loved the chance to make an impact and bring new ideas to the table. The leadership trusts you to make decisions and have ownership.

I work with many cross-functional teams and everyone is intelligent with no egos...all working towards the same goals.

I'm super excited to be a part of OnDeck's next stage and looking forward to seeing where the company goes over the next few years.

Cons

We're still in a phase of change and it can sometimes be a bit hectic. If you're used to many moving parts or used to constant shifts, it's not a problem. We're still trying to figure out what works and what doesn't as we scale even more.

Advice to Management

I love the overall transparency of why big decisions are made. Keep listening to your employees to ensure you're keeping everyone happy and challenged.

"Great place to work!"

Current Employee - Director in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Director in Arlington, VA

I have been working at OnDeck full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Collaborative, tech-forward, great benefits, start-up mentality with the budget of an established company.

Cons

Some of the internal tools aren't well explained and you have to sort of figure it out yourself.

4. "I loved my job"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Denver, CO

I worked at OnDeck full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great pay atmosphere and culture

Cons

Men get treated better then the women.

Advice to Management

Needs to be equal towards men and woman.

Feb 14, 2019 – Company Response

We are happy that you loved your job and the culture at OnDeck. We are committed to fostering an inclusive workplace and ensuring equal opportunity for development and advancement to every member of... More

"Best place I've ever worked! (way better than the rating might suggest)"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at OnDeck full-time

Pros

- Collegial atmosphere where people are very smart, work very hard, and still make time to socialize and have fun
    - You get the perfect combination of mature startup culture along with the stability of a well-capitalized company
    - The past year has been hugely successful for the company and growth doesn't seem like it'll be slowing any time soon
    - Very little bureaucracy; decisions get made quickly and there are not too many layers of management
    - Compensation is very good and they take care of people who perform

Cons

- Growing so fast and so much happening right now that it is difficult to get people onto the tech and product teams fast enough

Advice to Management

Encourage more current employees to support the company externally. Current engagement scores are very high, so this should be reflected in ratings like on Glassdoor!

Jan 30, 2019 – Head of People Operations

Thanks so much for your feedback. We’re glad to hear that you’re enjoying the culture at OnDeck and that your employee experience has been a positive one thus far. The growth we’re experiencing right... More

6. "OnDeck is Amazing!!!"

I have been working at OnDeck full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I love to come to work, I love the benefits I get to be an employee from OnDeck, I look forward to come to work everyday, the environment is Amazing, OnDeck cares about you and your Family!!! Overall BEST COMPANY!!!

Cons

I would love to see more tools for us to make our job easier, specially processing customers payment is kinda a bit of a challenge at right now but I know we will change to be best!

Advice to Management

I would like to see our Managers to get involve a lit bit more with your employees, team meetings, training, team outings, etc.

"Awesome Company"

Current Employee - Payment Solutions Specialist in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Payment Solutions Specialist in Denver, CO

I have been working at OnDeck full-time (More than a year)

Pros

company takes care of its employees

Cons

really nothing bad to say about this company.

Advice to Management

management makes it a point to keep employees up to date on upcoming changes and provided coaching when needed

Feb 11, 2019 – Company Response

Thanks for your review! Appreciate your feedback - we'll continue to practice open communication and provide development opportunities.

8. "Payment Support Specialist"

Current Employee - Senior Payment Support in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Senior Payment Support in Denver, CO

I have been working at OnDeck full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great environment. They are good to there employees. Take feedback and implement it. Always looking for ways to improve. Great Culture.

Cons

Sometimes communications between upper management going down is vague. They are aware of this, and try really hard to get everyone involved.

9. "A wonderful place to work."

I have been working at OnDeck full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

A great company with a culture like no other.

Cons

no cons come to mind.

Feb 11, 2019 – Company Response

Thanks for your review!

"Great Company"

Current Employee - Charged Off Recovery Specialist in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Charged Off Recovery Specialist in Denver, CO

I have been working at OnDeck full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Some of the best management I've ever worked with. Stocked kitchens, great work/family balance, work from home if sick, or bad weather, lunches provided a few times a month, great income, and fantastic culture and atmosphere.

Cons

The only Con I can come up with is Parking. $10 a day.

Advice to Management

Please continue treating your employees as you do. Fantastic management team!

Feb 4, 2019 – Company Response

Thanks so much for you review. We're glad to hear that you're having a positive experience at OnDeck! Cost of parking is normally a problem when working at a downtown location. OnDeck does provide... More