Cover image for OnDeck

Part of Enova
Engaged Employer

OnDeck

Add a Review

OnDeck Employee Reviews about "great culture"

Updated Oct 3, 2021

Finance

3m

a

Commercial Customer Service Representative

What’s the best way to have a lack of compensation and incentive conversation in your department? I went above and beyond for years doing extra work, organizations etc and nothing has been reflected in pay. I thought my 5 year was going to finally show something but it did not. I’ve inquired about pay but it’s gotten nowhere.

12 Comments

Finance

148.2K Members

Ask candid career questions

-1 - https://www.fishbowlapp.com/bowl/finance/posts?cf=gd&utm_medium=Glassdoor&utm_source=glassdoor.com&utm_campaign=Reviews&utm_content=Industry-content-prominent-Reviews&utm_term=OnDeck~445023
Join the conversation on

Got a burning question about OnDeck? Just ask!

On Fishbowl, you can share insights and advice anonymously with OnDeck employees and get real answers from people on the inside.

What's Fishbowl
Ask a Question

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Pros
Cons
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of OnDeck and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?

Reviews about "great culture"

Return to all Reviews
  1. 4.0
    Current Employee, more than 3 years

Focused and passionate team building innovative tools and products to help small businesses!

Dec 20, 2013 - Technology in New York, NY
    Business Outlook

Pros

Each employee is driven and inspired to contribute and make a difference to the business. Very customer focused, on everything we do day-to-day. Management is very transparent and everyone is able to participate in the decision making process. Everybody strives to improve continuously and come up with innovative ideas. Technology focused and excellent leadership. Open and collaborative work culture.

Cons

No 401K match, career growth

2. 5.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

Review

Jul 31, 2022 - Marketing Coordinator in Dallas, TX
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great sense of community and culture

Cons

Honestly there are none! The company is great.

3. Join the OnDeck team
    See Our Latest Jobs
  4. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Love OnDeck and Love My Team

Jan 31, 2019 - People Operations in Denver, CO
    Business Outlook

Pros

OnDeck has gone through a few ups and downs in the last few years, but came out on top in 2018. The hard decisions that were made in 2017 ended up having a positive impact on the company and our culture eventually bounced back. We've had numerous former employees (who left during the tough part of 2017) actually come back to join the company. In my own work, I have loved the chance to make an impact and bring new ideas to the table. The leadership trusts you to make decisions and have ownership. I work with many cross-functional teams and everyone is intelligent with no egos...all working towards the same goals. I'm super excited to be a part of OnDeck's next stage and looking forward to seeing where the company goes over the next few years.

Cons

We're still in a phase of change and it can sometimes be a bit hectic. If you're used to many moving parts or used to constant shifts, it's not a problem. We're still trying to figure out what works and what doesn't as we scale even more.

2 people found this review helpful

Company Response

Thank you for sharing how much you enjoy working at OnDeck! It's always valuable for us to hear from our team members. There is an endless amount of interesting and challenging work to be done with the help of talented people like you. We appreciate your dedication through the changes. - Denver Leadership Team

5. 2.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

Decline of culture

Sep 20, 2021 - Senior Systems Engineer in New York, NY
    Business Outlook

Pros

Small weekly allowance of Seamless. Work from home, Flexible hours, and what used to be an unlimited vacation, which is now under strict guidelines of 3 weeks, unless you're 4 years of vintage. Can't speak of other people's pay, but mine was market level and expect around 10% bonus. Tiny raises once a year. About two years ago culture was actually great and it was fun working for the Ondeck.

Cons

Cons: I guess it's all about people and most importantly people you both work with and report to. My original direct manager was great, but he left and his replacement had an impressive resume and was seemingly nice but very shallow in both tech knowledge of his role and not a great manager. Consistently failed to have (company required) one on one meetings and never provided direct feedback, except at review time. Again against company guidelines. Had a horrible habit of withholding back relevant information and was often invited to meetings at the last second. The last person he hired to be our peer had zero advance notification, we literally heard from the HR team first. It was done in secret and bypassing most normal HR hiring routes just since they used to work together previously. I was also extremely puzzled on why in the world the ENTIRE technology team (100 plus people, mostly Software Devs) would waste over an hour to listen to company internal branding/marketing presentations. What the hell it was meant to achieve? To have probably smarted people in the company to drink marketing cool-aid?? I consider these presentations a colossal waste of productivity. I have mentioned the decline of culture (and benefits) in the title and indeed it has been a wild ride. Really smart dude ex-Architect left for a large bank a year ago. That should have been a HUGE sign on the wall. But I ignored it. Late last year original CTO left and soon after COO goes as well. What does this should tell you?? p.s: I probably waited too long to post this review and most original staff probably left.

4 people found this review helpful
  6. 4.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

Great place to begin a corporate career

Feb 21, 2017 - Loan Advisor in Nyack, NY
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great startup culture with 4 fully stocked kitchens in nyc Great location that easily accessible Lots of friendly, smart people to work with Great/caring Vice President Flexibility Open work space

Cons

Typical large corporation biases. Too many sales people who do minimal work, miss quota for multiple months without issue yet still closing large deals. Just didn't make much sense. The environment can be very volatile and make you feel as bipolar as it is.

CEO

Glad to hear that you’re enjoying your time here. We take feedback seriously and as part of our approach to continuous improvement, we are always looking at ways to enhance our performance and learning programs. If you have suggestions or concerns, we encourage you to share your ideas via our various internal feedback channels.

7. 4.0
    Current Employee

A Beautiful Rose with a Few Thorns

Mar 23, 2017 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

I’m not someone who typically posts reviews to public sites because when I have something positive or constructive to say I’m not afraid to go directly to the individuals who oversite on the matter. That said, I’m writing this review because the below remarks deeply sadden me, because if current employees genuinely feel this way I would encourage them to share their complaints with leaders so that real changes can be made. My journey at OnDeck has been quite the contrary, I've been at OnDeck for almost three years and have seen a tremendous amount of growth and exciting change. OnDeck has provided me with opportunities to learn new skills, grow as a professional, and work alongside incredibly bright and motivated peers who have a genuine passion for disrupting the lending space. The collegial culture fosters collaboration across functions and provides development opportunities for those who are seeking them. OnDeck offers progressive benefits compared to most companies in the U.S. including four months of parental leave, generous tuition reimbursement, and a team member dedicated to career development who holds office hours to provide career coaching for OnDeck employees.

Cons

Like any company there are a few thorns as with any high growth, maturing organization there will be pains, and as an employee you have a choice to make, you can tackle these obstacles in stride or play the victim. If you choose the former you will be able to have a valuable career and the ability to make a huge impact. I also will share that OnDeck is still on the smaller side so when there is an organizational change instead of feeling like a minor tremor it will feel like a level seven earthquake. This doesn’t have anything to do with OnDeck as company and its future. For prospective applicants, this is something to be aware of and also know that that the Executive Team is incredibly qualified and will stabilize any aftershocks.

3 people found this review helpful

CEO

Thanks for your review. It’s great to hear that your OnDeck career has been filled with exciting growth opportunities, a collegial culture and inspiring colleagues. There will always be changes as we strive to make the organization better and our industry continues to mature, and I appreciate your constructive thoughts on the company.

8. 1.0
    Former Employee

Great place to start a career in sales

Dec 15, 2017 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

The sales culture is strong and you will get to develop exceptional sales skills because the product (i.e. high interest rate small business loans) are hard to sell For a specialty finance company, the perks are pretty good

Cons

Upward mobility is limited to those who actively 'manage-up'. there is a exceptionally highly level of acceptance for mediocracy in certain divisions

6 people found this review helpful
  9. 4.0
    Former Employee, more than 5 years

Great before merger

Jan 11, 2022 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great company to work for- Good camaraderie and culture

Cons

Merger did change the culture

1 person found this review helpful
  10. 5.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

A great place to be creative and make a difference

Dec 6, 2013 - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Business Outlook

Pros

- Incredible culture that values passion and ingenuity. - Committed to making a difference to small businesses and the overall economy. - Ability to work in an industry that's disruptive for positive change. - Fast and positive changes being made in employee development and benefits. - Employees care deeply about their jobs and each other. - Incredible growth trajectory.

Cons

- Communication is frequent, but can be more focused. - Space is at a premium and it's difficult sometimes to find conference rooms for bigger meetings.

1 person found this review helpful
  11. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 5 years

Heroes work here.

Aug 18, 2020 - Customer Management Senior Associate
    Business Outlook

Pros

Rarely do you find a company throughout your professional career that truly makes an impact on you personally and professionally. OnDeck is one of those places. The people that work for OnDeck are, no exaggeration, world-class. Despite the ups-and-downs of the pandemic, our leadership team make sure communication is clear and transparent. Our EC team is human. They are approachable and truly make it a mission to connect with their people. Our CEO is a genuinely caring person. His unwavering optimism has been the North Star during this time of uncertainty. We have a strong and present virtual culture. Inclusion and diversity are top priority. Communication is stronger than its ever been. The pandemic created fresh shift in cross-department collaboration and its been easier than ever to 'get s---' done. I am grateful and feel incredibly fortunate to work for this company.

Cons

Growth opportunities were limited within my department.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 95 Reviews