Once Upon A Child Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

3.1
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Brett Heffes

Pros
  • Great coworkers, flexible schedule, boss that cares about their employees (in 17 reviews)

• Excellent boss, easy job, flexible hours, great during busy times like school (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • Low pay if you are older and pay a lot of bills, good part-time job for students (in 14 reviews)

• Little to no raises with promotion or advancement in responsibilities (in 5 reviews)

1. "Its a good 1st job but doesn't come with many benefits."

Current Employee - Customer Service in Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Customer Service in Orlando, FL

I have been working at Once Upon A Child part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great staff and great atmosphere.

Cons

This job has poor benefits and is quite messy on the inside needs a bigger building. It would be great if it had more policies in regards to buys.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees better and offer them benefits that will actually help them in some way.

2. "Need a job?"

Current Employee - Need A Job? in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Need A Job? in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Once Upon A Child full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Hours
    Co workers
    Tasks
    Works with you to fit your job into your schedule

Cons

Rude customers

Poor level of communication

Advice to Management

It's 2017, push the pay up.

"horrible"

Former Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Garland, TX
    Former Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Garland, TX

Pros

nothing good to speak of.

Cons

Pick up after children and parents' messes, they destory merchandise and let their children run rampage. Managers expect spotless store, after closing at 8 you stay behind until 12 to just clean uo the store. Its always a mess and dirty, expect you to do the most for the least pay.

Advice to Management

higher pay

4. "Not Very Professional and Unreal Expectations"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in La Crosse, WI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in La Crosse, WI

I worked at Once Upon A Child full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-Employee Discount on all Items in both stores
    -Mostly Friendly Customers
    -30 Minute or hour break choice

Cons

-Very Unfriendly Staff (Very Cliquey for a bunch of grown women)
    -Cashiering was a joke put me on a complex system right away and expected me to know what I was doing straight out the gate horrible experience!
    -If you didn't work at mock speed you heard about it
    -Stupid Meetings that lasted like an hour talking about things that really don't have anything to do with the job.

Advice to Management

Train your future employees better on cash register I only received maybe under an hour of training to use that thing.
    Be more positive and nice to your employees after all they are making you money too!

5. "Worked there for 3 years"

Former Employee - Shift Leader in Canton, OH
    Former Employee - Shift Leader in Canton, OH

I worked at Once Upon A Child part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

They are very flexible with schedules and often allow overtime in the summer which is great for high school and college students. They are also very busy and successful so you definitely have job security if you do even an average job.

Cons

There is not a lot of management skills there. There is an extremely high turnover rate because it is a very fast pace job. This results is shift leaders and managers not having the right experience or consistency.

Advice to Management

Give more positive reinforcement and incentive to do well. We got a lot of negative feed back about how quickly we were moving or about sales but were not given tools to fix those problems. We did not receive yearly or monthly reviews and only had meetings when something was done wrong. Reviews would be a good way to remember to give positive feedback to good employees.

6. "First Part-Time Job"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Orlando, FL

I have been working at Once Upon A Child part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

accepts time off upon request, close to my residence

Cons

disorganized, unprofessional, lack of communication on store policies or changes, must do things that go beyond job description or requires a promotion

Advice to Management

communicate better, don't make workers do what there job doesn't intital

7. "Terrible staff and miserable environment"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Hunters Creek, FL
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Hunters Creek, FL

I worked at Once Upon A Child full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Interacting with customers and their children, when paychecks are late owners will personally write you your check if needed

Cons

False job description, negative work environment, low pay, disrespectful managers and owners. Unprofessional staff and disorganized everyday tasks. Poor to no training. Was hired on promise of full time and available only during certain days and times, was cut down to one-2 shifts a week after my first day and being told I didn't work as fast as expected based on my past work experience. Poor 1-2 day training with manager that expected you to have memorized all policies and training and gossiped to other staff openly during the shift if you weren't learning quick enough. Staff really knows how to make you feel unwelcomed and rumors fly like you're back in high school. Very unprofessional and miserable work environment. Worked there for about 2 months

Advice to Management

Develop better training for your employees and be kind, no one wants to work for rude management. Be more selective with staff you hire and make environment more enjoyable and motivating. Be more clear with job description and stick with it.

"Unfairly Treated"

Former Employee - Key Holder in Savannah, GA
    Former Employee - Key Holder in Savannah, GA

I worked at Once Upon A Child part-time (More than a year)

Pros

1.) Awesome part-time job for high school or college students without bills and other payments.
    2.) Flexible Scheduling
    3.) Co-workers are usually friendly and easy to get along with.

Cons

1.) Pay raises are highly unlikely. I was given key holder and guaranteed a raise that I never got.
    2.) Favoritism. If the manager does not like you, you will not get very far. Expect to be treated unfairly if the manager doesn't like you. They will find a way to hold you back. Hence why I never got my raise.
    3.) Good employees get treated terribly.

Advice to Management

Favoritism is frowned upon. Treat your good employees fairly and they will stick around and you'll have better stores that people will want to return to. Give raises the way they should. A key holder should be paid more than a sales associate always.

"Worst experience"

Former Employee - Retail in Salem, OR
    Former Employee - Retail in Salem, OR

I worked at Once Upon A Child full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

This is a children's store

Cons

Owner and manager are the biggest bullies, they practice the most negative work ethics by humiliating the employees. No is allowed to speak, when need to ask a question is turned down, they talk to you in the rudest manner. I had to quit with 2 hours of their humiliations.

Advice to Management

Take some classes on how to treat employees!!!! Take anger management classes amd if you have personalproblems don't take it out on the employees!

10. "Lack of communication and training"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Woodbury, MN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Woodbury, MN

I worked at Once Upon A Child part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I love the employees there, everyone gets along soo well.

Cons

Training sucks, this place sucks! Everything is always clutter. The manager there complains too much about everyone but yet does the same thing. As a manager its their job to show and present a good attitude. But this has got to be the worst place i have worked for.

Advice to Management

Stop complaining!! And start taking your employers seriously!! Take some advice and stop always blaming the workers. When yourself have to train the ones that walk through those doors for the job!