Oncology Nursing Society Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated February 28, 2019

4.3
Brenda Nevidjon

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Great place to work."

Current Employee - Project Manager
    Current Employee - Project Manager

I have been working at Oncology Nursing Society part-time

Pros

Great culture. Awesome folks to work with. Feel appreciated and respected.

Cons

There are not any cons.

2. "Great company that values work-life balance of employees"

I have been working at Oncology Nursing Society full-time

Pros

Flexibility and remote working option. Great benefits. Relaxing work-environment and motivated peers. Lots of perks. Workout classes and meditation sessions available. Mission of the company is amazing and you feel good about the work you are doing.

Cons

Recent restructuring of the company has left some individuals feeling frustrated, but likely once the dust settles, things will even out. Not a ton of opportunity to advance, but in my position, that's okay given this job fits my education and long-term career goals. Pay is less than the clinical environment but the benefits/perks far and above make up for the pay cut.

Advice to Management

Continued transparency about changes in the company and vision/goals for future work.

3. "Excellent Place To Work"

I have been working at Oncology Nursing Society full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great Benefits including Flexible Work Environment, Telecommuting, Generous PTO, Closed for the Holidays. Working for a higher purpose.

Cons

The organization is in transition.

Advice to Management

Continue to focus on improving the operations and defining the culture of the organization.

4. "Employee satisfaction depends on department and position"

I worked at Oncology Nursing Society full-time

Pros

Motivated non-management staff very dedicated to company mission.

Cons

Executives and HR are large, not effective, secretive. Very limited advancement opportunities.

Advice to Management

Get rid of conflict at executive level. Don't be barriers to work, be open and trustworthy, consider all ideas, empower staff.

5. "Marketing Manager"

Former Employee - Assistant Director, Marketing Communications Management in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at Oncology Nursing Society full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great mission, working with volunteer nursing leadership was inspiring.

Cons

Adoption of new management principals could be a tough sell.

Advice to Management

Formalize telecommuting policies across departments

6. "wonderful company"

I have been working at Oncology Nursing Society full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great flexibility, wonderful work environment and colleagues, the work is purposeful, and transparency

Cons

Not much opportunity to grow (depending on your position)

7. "It's a Great Work Environment"

I have been working at Oncology Nursing Society full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Just as others have mentioned, the PTO, schedule flexibility, attention to employee appreciation, and (to some extent) compensation, are all great at ONS. Allowing employees to telecommute shows that the company understands its workers unique needs and encourages accountability without needing to be at a central office location 5 days a week. The benefits are great, most leadership members are open to change and evolution, and the CEO is doing a tremendous job driving ONS in the right direction without sacrificing employee satisfaction or work/life balance.

Cons

Some roles expand quickly. The scope of a job may start off focused but grow exponentially to include other tasks and responsibilities that weren't initially detailed in the job description. This is a double-edged sword. It's great to expand your knowledge and feel entrusted with an increasing workload within the company, but your rate of compensation doesn't grow with it. Incremental increases based on performance are great, but it doesn't cover the expanded scope of what's being asked of you. This is the only thing I would address. This process will only force employees who have increased their stake in the company's success and future to look elsewhere for competitive pay.

Advice to Management

If you continue to support your employees, then your employees will work hard to support the members.

Encourage leaders to recognize and reward those who are expanding their roles within the company. With a flat organizational structure, this is the only way to retain those employees who go above and beyond and set ONS apart from other member organizations.

8. "Great place to work!"

Current Employee - Marketing Coordinator in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Marketing Coordinator in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at Oncology Nursing Society full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

flexible scheduling, positive culture, fair pay and benefits

Cons

I don't have any cons to add.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great way!

9. "Education Program Assistant"

I have been working at Oncology Nursing Society full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Flexibility to work remotely multiple days a week, ability to pick your schedule with your supervisor. Great benefits package as well as PTO time.

Cons

I really do not have any cons for working for ONS.

Advice to Management

Wish we could cash in some PTO time, even if there was a cap like 5 or 10 days worth. Also, it would be great if any bonuses we receive were in separate check than our payroll check, so we don't get taxed as harshly.

10. "Great Place to Work!"

I have been working at Oncology Nursing Society full-time

Pros

ONS is a great place to work! Everyone is extremely friendly, down to earth and so passionate about what they do. It's great to be part of an organization that takes such pride in how they help others.

Cons

It can be tricky picking up on the medical terminology if you're new to the industry, but everyone is very helpful and there are several documents available to help you learn.