KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

Oncology Nursing Society Reviews

Updated Aug 13, 2021

Found 37 of over 38 reviews

3.9
Oncology Nursing Society CEO Brenda Nevidjon (no image)
Brenda Nevidjon
  1. 5.0
    Current Employee

Good

Jul 21, 2021 - Project Manager in Pittsburgh, PA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Nice group to work with!

Cons

Newer departments so processes are still being created

2. 2.0
    Former Employee, more than 8 years

Great coworkers, poor leadership

Aug 13, 2021 - Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Tons of time off and amazing continuing education benefits

Cons

Senior leadership is only interested in hiring their nurse friends to fill business roles that they are unqualified for. Extremely low pay. 10% of the people do 90% of the work.

Director of HR

Thank you for your feedback. We’re happy to hear that you enjoyed the staff benefits during your employment. It looks as though you were employed with us for a significant period! We're sorry that you feel that there is a disparity in workload. All staff members are valued for their efforts as well as the experience and education that they bring to the organization. ONS is committed to an open culture where employees can express their concerns. We encourage staff members to speak with Human Resources about any issues and how we can improve recognition of staff members.

3. 4.0

Great company!

May 12, 2021 - Designer in Pittsburgh, PA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Work-Life Balance; good benefits; flexible telecommute schedule

Cons

Minimal room for growth in the organization

1 person found this review helpful
  4. 1.0
    Former Employee, more than 3 years

Ask around before applying

Jun 17, 2021 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

Some remote options pre-COVID Flexible schedule

Cons

Constant "Restructuring" Big Business packaged as Industry Serving Nonprofit Top heavy management (Chiefs) Overpaid management - see https://projects.propublica.org/nonprofits/

1 person found this review helpful
  5. 2.0
    Former Employee

I would think twice

May 14, 2021 - Executive Assistant in Pittsburgh, PA
    Business Outlook

Pros

The people in the group I worked with was great! Work flexibility.

Cons

Constant changes. Positions being eliminated or changing all of the time with people being let go regularly. Tough environment to feel any job security. Almost all of the people from my group have been let go or been moved w/o consult to other position, including the Executive I worked for. Upper management gave the illusion of caring but they are cut throat.

2 people found this review helpful
  6. 4.0
    Former Employee, more than 3 years

Flexible Environment for Lower Pay

Apr 16, 2021 - Business Analyst in Robinson, PA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Kind people; flexible work environment

Cons

Lower pay, skillsets of some employees are below normal professional standards

7. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 3 years

Great place to work

Mar 15, 2021 - Project Manager in Pittsburgh, PA
    Business Outlook

Pros

- work life balance - work environment - management

Cons

- would prefer to have more private cube space.

8. 2.0
    Former Employee, more than 10 years

Top heavy with leadership challenges

Feb 24, 2020 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

The mission and work of the organization is important and critical to oncology care of patients. There are very experienced people not in executive leadership who are in the organization. Flexible working arrangements and beautiful office.

Cons

Very little strategic vision overall. Lack of agility and leadership effectiveness. Culture is lacking or otherwise absent.

5 people found this review helpful

HR Generalist

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on the leadership structure of ONS. As you note, we have a very important and critical mission to positively impact oncology care. A lot of effort and strategic planning does go into delivering on our mission and vision for over 35,000 members. Our members depend on a strong leadership foundation within ONS to provide the highest level of expertise in our offerings. We hope that you found your 10+ years of tenure here to be meaningful and fulfilling. We are very proud of the meaningful work and outstanding benefits that we offer. People interested in making a difference are always welcomed and encouraged to check us out!

9. 2.0
    Former Employee

If Everyone's a Chief, No One Is.

Jan 23, 2020 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

ONS provides strong opportunities to improve yourself as an employee. They provide multiple avenues for you to learn new skills and a generous continuing education budget per employee. They also allow certain employees to telecommute up to 2 days a week.

Cons

Unfortunately, the best thing about the continuing education is that you are able to make yourself marketable to outside companies. The organization is very up front about flat structure, promotions are incredibly scarce, and hard workers will find themselves burdened with more responsibility but still no upward advancement. After a few years, many employees find themselves overworked, underappreciated, and at a loss for how to grow in their career. In the past few years, ONS has added multiple senior level positions and filled them with outside hires. Too many C-level executives have led to differing priorities, top-level bickering, and an inability to have a strong, concise strategic goal. This has left many staff with conflicting work loads or weeks of effort that result in a dead project, which all leads to dwindling respect for leadership.

6 people found this review helpful

HR Generalist

Thank you for your sharing your experience and feedback. It will be shared with our management team. We are glad you enjoyed the generous continuing education benefit and flexible scheduling we offer. As noted, our structure is such that upward mobility is not the same as what might be found in larger organizations. However, this also allows our employees the opportunity to learn new skills and contribute in new and different ways instead of being siloed in narrowly defined roles. We have many employees who have benefited from this and have been promoted here or moved to exciting opportunities elsewhere or even come back because they love the work we do. If you come to work here, you can expect to grow and be supported in that growth. Not everyone can be an executive, but everyone’s work here has impact. ONS is a small organization with a big mission of leading the transformation of cancer care. If you’re a curious person with a positive attitude, desire to learn new things, and who wants to help us fulfill our mission of advancing excellence in oncology nursing and quality cancer care, this could be a great place for you!

10. 5.0

Great place to work.

Feb 28, 2019 - Project Manager
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great culture. Awesome folks to work with. Feel appreciated and respected.

Cons

There are not any cons.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 37 Reviews