One America News Network Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

2.4
Charles Herring

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Gain Some Experience and Leave"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I worked at One America News Network full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great place to start your career to gain some hands on experience, although it operates differently from your standard news operations.

Cons

The office is micromanaged by management. No unity within the company there's a clear division between each department, which makes collaborative work harder than what it needs to be. Questionable ethical decisions, complete lack of journalistic integrity.

2. "Don't work here if you have experience"

I have been working at One America News Network full-time

Pros

Good Place to start.

Cons

Terrible ownership. Takes 0 responsibility for anything that goes on. No consequences for the bullies that work there.

Advice to Management

Hold people accountable for their actions

3. "The company ever"

I worked at One America News Network full-time

Pros

You get paid once a week .

Cons

The owner is too hands on. It wouldn't be a problem if he were a journalist in the past. But herring is into conspiracy theories. He orders hit jobs on people he doesn't like . The network is a joke . It makes Fox News look like the Wall Street journal .

Advice to Management

Quit there is nothing that can be done to fix the network as long as the Herrings on it .

"Production Assistant good way to get in"

I worked at One America News Network full-time

Pros

Good company to get into the television field and get experience.

Cons

You can move up slightly but hard to get big raises.

"The little tv station that couldn't"

Former Employee - Production Assistant in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Production Assistant in San Diego, CA

I worked at One America News Network full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Our two studios have nice production equipment. We have nice cameras and nice camera rigs. We also have a very nice brand new studio for the newscasts. There is one older studio for the talk shows, but it still holds up all right. Employees are very nice.

Cons

Herring Broadcasting runs 2 small cable networks, WealthTV and a start-up news network, One America News. I was told in my interview that One America News would be a "credible source for news" that would hopefully and eventually compete with FOX News and CNN.
    So going in, I was expecting to find an organization that was actually going to try create solid, ethical newscasts. Instead, I found a disorganized operation with an owner/CEO that had zero experience in news, did not know how to lead people or rally a team, yet still wanted to control every aspect of the news channel based on false assumptions on how television newsrooms are run. And if that wasn't enough, I found a complete disregard for the rules of newscast ethics and journalism.

Literally everyone that has any say in the company has little to no experience in news. If you're trying to launch a news channel, you can imagine how difficult this might make things. The CEO has actually said he wants inexperienced people because he can control them easily and they won't put up the slightest protest to his news judgement.

Writers are told to just copy and paste from our Associated Press and Reuters news sources. Many on-air anchors are hired purely for their looks. And Producers do not check stories for updates. I can't really blame the producers for this since they don't know any better. They're inexperienced! Once a story is written and put in a show rundown, that's usually the last time anyone ever checks for updates on that story, let alone double-check the facts on that story to begin with.
    But since, the CEO doesn't care about those pesky details (ie. actually being a "credible" source for news) everything is alright as long as he sees a good looking anchor on his television.

Since, management has little experience in news, there is very little in the way of advice on how to further our craft. There are little to no performance reviews for writers, anchors, or technical people. But if anyone dares question this, they're threatened with their jobs. So all these employees right out of college that were so excited to get their first job in TV news, are actually not getting any real world experience at all.

You think that's bad? I haven't even gotten to other the problems with company culture. The CEO doesn't trust any of his employees and routinely watches them through cameras in literally every corner of our offices. He regularly questions workers on what they are doing if he sees employees talking to each other. This is a problem especially if you have a CEO that has zero experience in news and doesn't understand that working in a newsroom is a cooperative experience where employees must talk to each other to put a newscast together. The environment that this creates is one where everyone is afraid and no one wants to improve our product for fear of retaliation.

I do not recommend this company to anyone. If you're looking for just a job that pays OKAY for a recent college grad, and do not really have a passion for news news or TV, or if you don't mind a controlling boss, then this job might be okay for you for the time being.
    If you care about news and if you're looking to get real world experience in TV production, go elsewhere.
    If you care about ethical standards, want to learn how the rules of journalism work, and want to learn how to put a professional high-quality newscast together, go elsewhere.

Advice to Management

Calling yourself a "News organization" carries a social responsibility. Even though you call yourself a credible source for news, viewers will notice that we in fact are not. Especially when we regularly get the facts wrong and do not update the facts even when we have them right. Viewers will also notice when you give hours of time to one politician, and zero time to another.
    Television is a creative medium. Learn from the creativity of your employees instead of shunning every idea that is not your own.

"Great work enviroment and family to work for"

I have been working at One America News Network full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible Schedule
    Management can be awesome
    Co-Workers are some of the coolest people ever
    No Micro-Management

Cons

Upper Management can overlook hard workers
    Tons of duties under one job title
    Lots of leeway for the employees who take advantage of them

Advice to Management

Pay attention to the employees who WANT to be there

"Meh"

Pros

Great opportunity for someone just off the beach.

Cons

Like other family-owned businesses, the family members running the business don't seem to understand that non-family members have different needs.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing. There are always new people looking for an opportunity. Keep using them until you lose them.

8. "Pays A Lot for Borderline Entry Position"

Pros

Great Pay Great Location in SD

Cons

Management is paranoid and rife with Nepatism

Advice to Management

Stop sucking up to Trump

"Great Company and Growing Fast"

Current Employee - On Air in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - On Air in Washington, DC

I have been working at One America News Network full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

You get a chance to meet all the major politicians. We're constantly interview presidential candidates and now nominees.

Cons

It's a lot of hard work. We're trying to grow to the size of other companies - but we don't have as many people. That means hard, albeit rewarding, work.

Advice to Management

Consider more talk shows that go outside of the two core segments that we already do. I think there are more viewers out there that we can get.

10. "Good stepping stone"

Current Employee - Writer
    Current Employee - Writer

I have been working at One America News Network full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good environment to develop writing.
    Friendly co-workers and staff.

Cons

Way too much coverage of Donald Trump.
    Far rightwing agenda.
    Odd rules of what can / can't be covered.