One Element Reviews | Glassdoor

One Element Reviews

1.8
Brandon Dennis
1 Rating

1. "Horrible Scam Targeting Young People"

Former Employee - Team Leader in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Team Leader in Atlanta, GA

I worked at One Element full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

They lead you to believe you will gain knowledge in place of income, and someday open up an office for them.

Cons

You have to realize that over half the people in the photograph above are no longer with the company. They have a ridiculous turn over rate, and even the most successful in the business realize what an awful scam it is. It would be one thing if they were honest - about the low pay, pyramid scheme, and lack of benefits. But the truth is, I was taught to be fake and put on a face every morning in front of others. I was taught to lie to newcomers to make it seem like a better opportunity. I was taught that I had to dedicate 110% of myself and my energy into my low paying job in order to be successful. They trap you in and lead you to believe so many awful things. While I worked there (for 6 months) I actually spent more money on gas for road trips than I earned. I highly recommend that you don't waste your time.

Just so everyone is aware, they have changed their name to Atlanta Events Group in an attempt to avoid this sort of thing. They change their company name frequently. They also go by Smart Circle.

Advice to Management

This company should close down or develop a better a system. Selling faulty products and teaching young people to be fake and deceitful will not set them up for success.

"A loosely based pyramid scheme disguised as a job opportunity."

Former Employee - Sale and Marketing Management in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Sale and Marketing Management in Atlanta, GA

I worked at One Element full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great Atmosphere, everyone is really excited and gets you pumped up. Mostly young graduates and some 25+ employees

Cons

Driving 40+ miles and didn't get compensated for gas. (Perhaps I left before I could but they didn't make it an easy process)
    Pushing infomercial type products to Cosco/Sams club shoppers. Told to network while on a 15min break.

Advice to Management

Be honest in you job posting. You flood every job site and don't say what you actually do. I'll be job searching and fine your posting in every category...like Food/restaurants.

"The longest, most miserable 6 weeks of employment I've ever experienced."

Former Employee - "Entry Level Marketing/Event Coordinator" in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - "Entry Level Marketing/Event Coordinator" in Atlanta, GA

I worked at One Element full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Friendly co-workers. Everyone is very energetic and upbeat, but it's because they think they're going to land in management.

Cons

What they want are young, energetic people who they can chew up and spit out in 1-3 months time before they get wise and leave. They pull you in with promises of management potential and in only 6 months, you could own you own business! What they mean is, if you can survive on little to NO PAY, barely legal gas compensation for traveling all over God's green earth to the events you are stationed at, being bossed by your 'leader' on your breaks/lunches to "network" instead of taking an actual break or lunch, 12 hour days in which you are not really paid for morning meetings, and having your schedule handed to you on a hand-written piece of torn notebook paper less than 1 week in advance, then yeah, you might move up in this company. But why would you want to??

If you're looking to be a small business owner, start ANYWHERE but here. Allow me to elaborate on the points above: Gas compensation? They pay a flat $11.50 if you travel from a morning meeting to a location (even if it's 50 miles away, no I'm not exaggerating- they'll send you to Sharpsburg) and if you have an afternoon shift, you are not paid at all unless you log your miles and count them as a deduction in your taxes. You may actually spend more on gas than you make. Which brings me to the matter of pay..

I was led to believe that I'd be receiving hourly pay plus 18% commission on all sales made in stores. As it turns out, that's not the case at all. Instead, at the end of each pay period, total commission is divided by total hours worked (office AND in store). If this number is greater than minimum wage, then that's your pay. If it's less than minimum wage, you receive a "commission advance" to raise your hourly rate to $7.25 p/hour. It's possible that One Element could then claw back this advance from future paychecks, though I did not experience that at my 6 weeks at this company.

Despite what you are led to believe, you are paid on 100% commission. Combine this with the fact that, as I mentioned before, you are not really paid what you're spending on gas, a good sales person is lucky to make more than a couple hundred dollars every two weeks. Please don't fall for One Element, The New Element (the two are different companies, but share an office building) or any other Smart Circle (or Cydcor for that matter, look them up, they're similar to SC) affiliate, take the time, do the research, save yourself the misery!

Advice to Management

Be up front about things like pay. It's flat out shady to tell someone they're getting a full time job when they can't possibly make enough to live on, based on the fact that commission is all they're getting.

5. "Great entertainment company"

Current Employee - Entertainer in Zagreb (Croatia)
    Current Employee - Entertainer in Zagreb (Croatia)

I have been working at One Element part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

They keep relaxed enviroment but still keeping the high level of professionalism. Open to their employees and flexible towards their needs.

Cons

As any gig job, payments are unstable. They pay their dues, it just takes time.