One Kings Lane Software Engineering Reviews | Glassdoor

Software Engineering

One Kings Lane Founders Alison Pincus and Susan Feldman
Alison Pincus and Susan Feldman

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • A very positive work environment (in 12 reviews)

• Great people, and great culture (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • Company has been struggling to grow, recently was acquired by Bed Bath and Beyond - we'll see how the transition goes (in 3 reviews)

• Loss of special company culture - the site no longer feels fresh (in 3 reviews)

"Great internship!!"

Former Employee - Software Engineering Intern in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Software Engineering Intern in San Francisco, CA

I worked at One Kings Lane full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- great mentor
    - company culture is awesome. in july would have fun "peach month" themed days with treats, interns had regular outings, and everyone is very friendly and willing to talk to you

Cons

- slightly small internship program

"Stay Away. Far far away."

Former Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I worked at One Kings Lane full-time (More than a year)

Pros

If you like not working (being able to work) and getting paid for it, I guess this is for you. However...

Cons

Every department works against each other and has no trust that the other can do anything "right". So everyone puts in systems and processes to prevent others from doing any work. The culture is toxic. Very blame-oriented — people will do anything to not have to fix an issue (or even find the cause of it). They just git-blame a *somewhat* relevant file, find the last person to touch it, then assign the issue to them. No one takes 3 minutes to trace the code, reproduce the issue, and find the actual source of the bug and patch it. Maybe because it'll take you a week or more just to get a one-line fix in because...

No continuous integration/deployment. Builds take nearly an hour before you can deploy to a test environment, which takes another 20 minutes. You're also not able/allowed to deploy to half of the environments (even as a senior software engineer) to help debug why the deploy is broken because QA doesn't know their head from their... rear... The site goes down for 3-6 hours weekly in order to deploy new changes to the site. But before that can happen, everything gets merged into master from 10-40 pull requests within an hour on Fridays... which means you have to be available to fix merge conflicts on Friday at 5PM. Then the offshore QA team goes to work... and by work, I mean they report new features as broken features because no one tells them we're changing things. So then you spend all of Monday morning closing tickets and explaining new features to 5 year olds. Then you have to rush a ton to fix any actual bugs that were found from Monday afternoon till Wednesday noon, otherwise your feature/changes have to get rolled back and won't go out for another week. So, essentially, you have Thursday and half of Friday to both write new features AND get them through in-house QA before they get merged in and you have to go back and fix bugs.

IT has ridiculous character restrictions on passwords and makes you change them every 90 days. Because... you know... it's more secure for everyone to just write their password on a sticky note and put it under their keyboard. Speaking of IT... worthless. Just. Worthless.

They keep trying to rewrite the entire site every couple of years and don't spend any time trying to fix the actual issues that they're having. "PHP is horrible! Let's get rid of PHP!". 2 years later: "Ruby on Rails is horrible! Let's get rid of Ruby!" 2 years from now: "JAVA is the WORST! Let's get rid of JAVA!"

Advice to Management

It's really sad to see that most of the "pros" on glassdoor talk about free lunch, juice, and bagels. If that's the best thing about working at a company, people should be throwing up red flags left and right.

It's time to start managing the *people*, not the *employee*. Make sure people are happy, able to work, and are challenged. They need a very clear career growth path and need managers who do 1 on 1s regularly and actively fight to help people get what they need to progress forward.

Also, you need to purge the people generating the toxic culture. You keep trying to "fix" the issues, but the only real way to do it is to remove those that create it.

3. "Average experience"

Former Intern - Software Engineer Intern in San Francisco, CA
    Former Intern - Software Engineer Intern in San Francisco, CA

I worked at One Kings Lane as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Flexible hours, no dress code.
    Peaceful office.
    Free Wednesday lunch.
    Higher level management is good and few of them really think of taking the company to the next level and few of them just dont care.

Cons

Too much politics and favoritism in teams. Don't know if this is the case in all the teams.
    Discouraging manager.

Advice to Management

It is ok if they are not encouraging, but do not discourage employees.

"Software Engineer"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I worked at One Kings Lane (Less than a year)

Pros

Lunch and learn
    Happy hours
    Nice Somas around
    Good interior designing of the company

Cons

- Worst company
    - People in a team are against each other
    - Project deadlines not followed
    - Design issues among team members
    - Donot start a project if you know it has lots of architectural flaws and will be scraped out in the end
    - Every person just trying to flaunt his/her achievements till now

Advice to Management

A company wont progress unless there is a good feeling within a team (atleast) for each other. Have more activities for team bonding rather than just throwing off happy hours every alternate week/ boring L&L sessions where nobody is interested to listen the presentations. I have also come across people talking in their native languages. Take care of such people. To such employees , have some sense of professionalism. For the leadership team, reform the team with employees who are talented rather than LOOKS/ great dressing sense. Your company revenue wont increase by hiring people with good looks, they are just a piece of showoff with empty brains.

"It's been great for me in Engineering"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer

I have been working at One Kings Lane full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I was quickly recognized and promoted for my abilities. If you do your job well, you will be rewarded. This might not be the same for all teams, but it was definitely the case for me.

The people here are awesome! Everyone is super friendly and supportive. Plus our new management in Engineering is great.

The company is finally being fiscally responsible. Maybe the current CEO isn't as personable as the previous one, but he has the company headed on the path to profitability.

Cons

The layoff in June 2014 sucked. I think that a lot of the negative reviews here come from that. The good news is that the company is still around and will be for a long time because of the layoffs. They still sucked hard though.

Advice to Management

Keep learning and growing. I don't expect you to be perfect, but I do expect you to learn from your mistakes.

"Poor Management, No Recognition"

Current Employee - Software Engineer
    Current Employee - Software Engineer

I have been working at One Kings Lane full-time (More than a year)

Pros

People are fun to work with, there are lots of fun events happening all the time

Cons

poor management, poor communication, constant leadership changes, instability, poor outlook on future of company

Advice to Management

You say you are transparent but that couldn't be further from the truth. Biggest advice is learning how to recognize your top contributors and rewarding them.

"Sells some pretty nice furniture on the Site, but not a technology company"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at One Kings Lane full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Nice people; not too demanding; 30-40% discount on items on the site!! many of the employees outside of the technology area are accomplished, motivated professionals.

Cons

Innovation at a glacial pace; this is due to low quality developers, a revolving-door for their managers, and no commitment to change.

In every communication (email, all-hands meeting, etc.) from the CEO has the tone of an investor solicitation--everything is great and only getting better--any negative press about the company is ridiculous and probably came from a jealous competitor, and so on. Please...tell us where we need to improve so we can get to work on it.

Advice to Management

align your employee PR with your day-to-day actions, and with your committed goals

"Phenomenal learning experience for engineering interns"

I worked at One Kings Lane as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

-Extreme independence and trust: you're given meaningful projects to work on, and are treated as a full-time employee
    -Super friendly co-workers: the culture at OKL was very welcoming. Organized happy hours, company outings, and smiles all around make the office a very enjoyable and friendly place to be around.
    -Supportive & smart colleagues: everyone I worked with was helpful from day one. I never found myself worried about reaching out and asking for help.
    -The management team is brilliant - especially Doug, the CEO.

Cons

-Free lunch is only available on Wednesday's :p

Advice to Management

Keep on keeping on - this company is going places.

"Great work environment, awesome people, many opportunities to learn and grow"

I worked at One Kings Lane as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Co-workers were amazing and I always enjoyed going to work. There was also a lot of diversity at the office, with people from various backgrounds, roles, and experiences. Managers are very easy to communicate with and everyone is held accountable.

Cons

The benefits aren't as great as in other top tech startups. Depending on the role you're in, work can sometimes be dry or repetitive. Finding the right fit is important so that you enjoy the work you're doing.