One Legal Reviews | Glassdoor

3.7
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Robert Battaglia

"Document Specialist"

Pros

High paying for an attorney service

Cons

Long hours with minimal recognition. Poor management. Office drama and micro management

Advice to Management

Stop micromanaging and be consistent

"Manager"

Former Employee - Branch Manager in Fairfield, CA
    Former Employee - Branch Manager in Fairfield, CA

I worked at One Legal full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The work flow was consistent and made the work day go by quickly.

Cons

Upper management was never really involved with the branches which made situations difficult at times. Upper management sucked.

Advice to Management

Get more involved with your branches.

"Not as good as the obvious company placed positive reviews claim"

I worked at One Legal full-time

Pros

There was a time when this was a good place to work. That time has passed. The only "pro" I can come up with is I don't work there any more.

Cons

A "key" hiring by the company single-handedly torpedoed company morale and culture, from which it has yet to recover. Long time management members either left or were pushed out. Promises of new products and increased revenues never materialized. Leadership is to busy reading books (Lean Startup...how's that working out?) or watching fishing videos to care and has no ability to determine the direction of the company. Key hire has no clue of what he is doing. Hires his friends for key roles so they can kick back and spend their day ordering things from Amazon. Tells everyone else they are unimpressive.

Industry being taken over by a giant. One Legal cannot compete with the current management team.

Advice to Management

Stop reading books on how to manage the company. Hire someone that actually knows how to do it. And fire the the person hired to develop the future. There have been no new products. Admit your hiring mistakes and make corrections.

One Legal Response

Aug 26, 2016 – HR Manager

I understand that change is difficult for many and I’ll be the first to admit that One Legal is right in the thick of things. Disruption and innovation in the legal tech space is here and I wouldn’t ... More

"Wears you down easily"

I worked at One Legal full-time

Pros

good pay, full benefits after 30 days, company events were fun, mostly busy work days

Cons

lack of efficient training, programs used didn't work properly, angry abusive customers

"Huge opportunity, in industry about to go through change and consolidation"

Current Employee - Director in Novato, CA
    Current Employee - Director in Novato, CA

I have been working at One Legal full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The company is very focused on changing into a tech and products company right now. Given all the change that needs to happen, anyone with ideas is able to have an impact.

Cons

Lots of change = a bit of chaos and uncertainty. It also means a bit of disorganization with so many moving pieces. This can be a little frustrating, but it feels like a normal part of what comes with the change.

Advice to Management

Set some clear themes around what people should/could influence in terms of change / improvement, so that the team can rally in the right areas.

"A great place to work in Marin County does indeed exist!"

Current Employee - Sales in Novato, CA
    Current Employee - Sales in Novato, CA

Pros

This is a great place to be able to make an impact and contribute to One Legal's move to a technology oriented company coming from its reputable service foundation. Exciting opportunities abound if you are willing to take on responsibilities and growth challenges here.

Cons

limited mass transportation options but that's not Marin County for you

Advice to Management

keep up inter-departmental communications!

"Strong Company, Great Management and Great Coworkers"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Novato, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Novato, CA

Pros

I have worked for One Legal for over 7 years. While working at One Legal I have always felt supported, encouraged, and made to feel an important part of the team. Management has always made it very clear what is expected of me and makes sure that I have received the necessary tools to get the job done. The company cares about its employees and the employees really care for one another. The company encourages employee feedback and responds promptly. One Legal has made many improvements and is committed to providing its employees with superb work environments. Recently the company has increased it contributions to healthcare PTO and Sick time. It's nice to be a part of this team!

Cons

Although the company has recently improved benefits I would like to see an increase in compensation.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work!

"A great place to work!"

I have been working at One Legal full-time

Pros

One Legal has found a great balance between a casual and relaxed, yet professional work environment. Managers are open and accessible, and are not only willing, but happy, to engage all staff in discussion about projects and company direction. There's a real buzz around the place as the company plans for the future!

Cons

It's a struggle to think of much! Paid time off is a little limited (but in line with industry standards) and, unlike many tech firms, snacks aren't provided. All the usual cover (health, vision, dental etc) is included, however!

Advice to Management

Keep communicating with staff and start to build up the benefits offering!

"I'll say this, it was an exciting ride!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at One Legal full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Fast paced work environment. The days will go by quick. The days are never boring. Dress is casual. Down to earth co workers. Pretty good pay for industry standards. Benefits are okay. Some good people in upper management.

Cons

You will be pushed incessantly and you will feel like a turnip being squeezed for everything your worth. Upper management often times doesn't have a proper understanding of how much goes into getting the job done. They also change direction on company policies based on a customer reaction. They do this and blame the employee for the customer being upset who was only following company policy. There is often a lack of trust that upper and mid management shows towards employees. You will often feel micro managed. When a customer issue arises upper management will often be reactionary before allowing staff to investigate. A lot of brow beating goes on here. Management doesn't always have a consistent philosophy. Vacation/sick time is not comparable to other industries. As an employee, you will often feel not valued. Favortism is a problem often times.

Advice to Management

Put the needs of your hard working employees first. Be consistent in management philosophy. Don't brow beat employees or put them down. Coach them better with more encouragement. Don't be so reactionary when customers get upset but research the issue first. Offer more vacation/sick time.

One Legal Response

Oct 9, 2015 – HR Manager

I want to thank you for taking the time to give us feedback. I’m sorry that your experience at One Legal didn’t match up to our aim of being a great place to work. Yes, our industry requires that we ... More

"Great Operational Leadership and Team"

I have been working at One Legal full-time

Pros

One legal has great operational leadership, processes and team. The senior VP of the operational team has fostered and instilled a culture that allows for every team member to be heard. The senior leadership is very mentoring and always has an open door policy. I personally have had some great discussions where I walk away with that my thoughts and ideas were valued greatly. The operational processes that have been implemented continue to contribute to the growth of the organization. I truly appreciate working with all the operational team members. Keep up the hard work!

Cons

The rest of the organization could follow the ideals that the operations group has implemented.