One To One Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

Rating Trends Rating Trends
One To One CEO Jeremi Karnell
Jeremi Karnell

1. "Only Good for Supplementing Income"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA

Pros

learned to be independent, responsible without micro management from the upper

Cons

Very low paying job
    There were two weeks in a row that I was not scheduled to work so it was not a reliable source of income
    I ended up looking for a full-time job with predictable schedule

2. "Poor decisions by management"

Pros

Lots of good people ready to step up and do good work; when OTO was small, there was a healthy and exciting culture, real innovation by smart people

Cons

The good people all left, as a result of poor decisions by the management, who got greedily focused on expanding and neglected to take care of and appreciate the people that won them their clients in the first place

Advice to Management

Focus on what made the company a good place to start out with - the good people doing good work - rather than trying to build a 'global' empire

3. "Good people, poor management"

Former Employee - Account Supervisor in Charlestown, MA
    Former Employee - Account Supervisor in Charlestown, MA

I worked at One To One full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great people and culture; good clients

Cons

Weak business model and leadership at the very top

Advice to Management

5. "Superior quality work atmosphere and as an employer caring and concerned about their employees."

Former Employee - Search Marketing Associate in Tucson, AZ
    Former Employee - Search Marketing Associate in Tucson, AZ

I worked at One To One part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

They payed above average for the work expected

Cons

A small company with no benifits

Advice to Management

none at this time

6. "Great employees"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Pros

Best co workers ever. Incredible talent adn lots of personality. Unique in its consideration for employees. Disjointed upper management.

Cons

Wish it would have survived. Plenty of downsides bit for awhile one of the most unique places to work in Boston. Killed by financial mismanagement.

Advice to Management

Pick one vision and focus on it. Needs to be more collaboration at the top levels. Continue to do what you say and say what you do.

"Great people"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charlestown, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charlestown, MA

Pros

Great smart people
    full fledged media house with all the capabilities needed to learn the ins and outs
    Good benefits
    Good location

Cons

tons of turnover
    recently lost all of their major clients
    company just laid off 2/3 of the company
    would be surprised to see the company around in two months

Advice to Management

At this point there is nothing much to say. You had a great company that offered great services but you let it all go in the toilet because of irresponsible financial management.

"Nice, Fun, Flexible Place to Work at and Always Striving for Enhancing (May not always work, but trying)"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charlestown, MA

Pros

Fun Environment and Work Place,
    Many Social Events,
    Flexible Work Hours,
    Telecommuting Options,
    Different Client Base to Make Work More Exciting and Diverse,
    Friendly co-workers

Cons

Huge Turnover from all Levels Including Senior Management,
    No Praise From Direct Team (although we started the monthly employee appreciation, but you don't feel the appreciation from your direct team),
    Unrealistic Time Frame for Project Completion (depending on project),
    No Defined Process for Project (that causes lots of issues down the road)
    Benefits are Okay (Could be Better)

Advice to Management

Despite all Above Notes, OTOI is Still a Great Company to Work For, But Small Little Things Like Ordering New Laptops Shouldn't be a 6 Month Process ( and counting ), Define Each Role, so a Director of a Certain Department Doesn't Need to be Involved in Perfecting a Website Based on his/her Opinion, Where he/she can Focus on Client Relationship. Need to work on the Turnover (whether people are leaving voluntary or not)

"Unsure"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charlestown, MA

Pros

A lot of passionate, smart people (just wish I got the chance to work more closely with more of them).

Some cool accounts (if you happen to work on them)

Great benefits (vaca time, etc)/laid back environment.

Cons

I often feel unsure of my performance; I felt my performance review was good, yet generic. I don't feel as though I don't have an opportunity to grow here, but I also have no reason to feel particularly confident that I will. I want more reassurance from my managers to give me that "fire" to improve (if needed). Given the amount of time/work I put in, I wish I had a clearer understanding of expectations and opportunities. I wish my role was more respected in comparison with others.

Lack of full-time resources in specific areas should be addressed. This will positively impact those already working at OTO (by making their lives easier) and in turn will benefit the company as a whole.

Advice to Management

Spend time with each service group to understand their unique efforts/goals/pains/desires to improve the company from their own POV. It will make people feel valued and confident that they are working towards something meaningful instead of just doing their "job"

"Promising at first..quick downward spiral"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charlestown, MA

Pros

Easygoing, fun, friendly and casual work environment
    Good benefits (health 401K etc)
    Coworkers are more than just colleagues, they're your friends outside the office
    Fun office parties/outings/philanthropic engagements
    Mandatory employee reviews every 6 months (I've worked in places that didn't have them at all)
    Upper management is generally easily accessible for meetings/conversations

Cons

There is a major disconnect between the goals and vision the upper management has for this company and the people in middle management that execute. I understand that we're in a competitive job market in a failing economy, so times are tough and good talent is hard to come by, but they seem to be unable to fill the HUGE voids in management and leadership. They also fail to understand why the talent they do have here is constantly leaving.

I saw a post here where someone complained about them constantly promoting people who have put in their time, and I'm not sure when that person worked here because I haven't seen any fair promotions in my time here thus far. I've seen people who are more than deserving of a promotion or raise get it taken away from them by a new hire, get scolded for inconsistency in their work when the reason for their inconsistent work is due to the company losing the clients they worked on, others around them getting promotions and raises even though they'd been here for less time, and others simply not getting the recognition because the managers are too swamped with their own responsibilities to notice what their team is doing. It's a shame really. Every member of the team I work on has left/is leaving since I started less than 6 months ago. Despite how many times the CEO says our turnover rates are normal, I just can't help but wonder if he's saying it out loud so that he'll eventually convince himself it's true...

Advice to Management

PLEASE hire more people so we can all have our lives back.

"Great culture and life/work balance, but sometimes frustrating."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charlestown, MA

Pros

One to One is a fun place to work. I enjoy coming in every day. I like the majority of people I work with and the environment is laid back and flexible. It is a very 9-5 workplace. For those random times you find yourself still working at 6 or 7pm, it's not unlikely for you to be one of the only people left in the office. Compensation for the most part is fair. The top management does a great job of keeping the employees updated on company news and are very transparent and accessible if you make the effort. There are a lot of great things that are trying to be put in place at the company, but the key word there is "trying."

Cons

One to One's management has the best intentions for it's employees of any place I've worked - which goes a long way; however, intentions alone don't make things happen. One to One has struggled with finding lasting, effective senior management positions. While some recent improvements and strides have been made, there is still a long way to go. Many of the departments struggle with organization and so there is an extreme lack of efficiency. There are often 3 people doing the same job and usually the one who is lowest on the totem pole does the best job but they're stuck working under people who are inept. There are a number of employees who are not qualified for their positions but who have grown quite comfortable sitting in their offices (sometimes due to connections with senior people within the company) and there is no sign of them being replaced. This company has a lot of potential, but that potential will never be reached if it continues to trip over its own feet.

Advice to Management

Focus less on the 6 Beings of I (which as far as I can tell hasn't changed anything, and has only made the review process, which forces the use of the 6 Beings of I, awkward and ineffective). Spend less money and time on things like salary studies - anyone in the company could have told you the findings without all the research. People know where their salary stands in the industry, it's not a mystery. Also, the entire motivational speaker exchange for a decent amount of labor hours was maybe not the smartest business decision.