OneAmerica Reviews | Glassdoor

3.4
OneAmerica President and CEO Scott Davison
Scott Davison

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Great location downtown with free parking (in 36 reviews)

• Best work/life balance company I have encountered (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management had no clue what was going on down in the trenches (in 7 reviews)

• They are also crazy passive aggressive and snitch on you without even consulting with you first on what you were doing (in 6 reviews)

"Overall a great place"

Current Employee - Client Services in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Client Services in San Diego, CA

I have been working at OneAmerica full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I think OneAmerica is a nice company to work for overall. In some aspects it still has a stuffy financial firm culture but a lot of changes are being made and it is definitely headed on the right direction. They are beginning to be more flexible about working remotely for SOME positions. There are also monthly employee appreciation parties. Benefit-wise, they have a Pension plan, 401k match, and an above average amount of PTO days.

Cons

Still a little old school in terms of technology and culture, but like I said above they are heading in the right direction.

"Anonymous"

I have been working at OneAmerica full-time

Pros

Growth opportunities and great people

Cons

Still trying to figure things out

3. "Out of touch and overwhelms employees"

I have been working at OneAmerica full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good benefits, lots of PTO and maternity/paternity leave. Good pay.

Cons

They pile on more work than anyone can manage making it hard/scary to take vacation. No leadership training, so low morale in some departments due to management truly not caring about your work load, stress levels or welfare. Top employees can “suck it up or leave” is the attitude. Also an overpriced product for our market making it hard to sell and attract top talent.

Advice to Management

Hire better managers and get them some GD sensitivy training. Reduce price of retirement products so we can bring in more revenue and hire the help we need. The constant inter-departmental squabbling over who should be tasked with insane volumes of mundane tasks, creating overtime and job dissatisfaction is silly and counterproductive.

"Feels like 1995"

Former Employee - Program Manager in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Program Manager in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at OneAmerica full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Location is good. Could be a fun company, the product & industry is not rocket science.

Cons

Antique technology; extremely process & document driven rather than embracing flexibility; lots of micro-management & too many dinosaurs who have never worked anyplace else to realize how far behind they are. Culture is wierd - you get the side eye if you leave your desk to go to the restroom, or God Forbid leave before putting in 9 hours a day. Most people eat lunch at their desk rather than take advantage of all the cool stuff in downtown Indy. Working from home is a foreign concept.

Advice to Management

If your staff is working more than 8 hours a day they’re either inefficient or doing someone else’s job in addition to their own. Working 50 hour weeks does not make someone a more valuable employee. If you hope to attract new, younger talent you’re going to have to embrace flexible hours, working remotely, lightening the load of all the reporting requirements and upgrading technology. And attracting new talent / fresh ideas is probably the biggest need this company has.

"OneAmerica is a great place to particpate in the transformation of a company."

I have been working at OneAmerica full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Evolving culture moving to a new normal desiring input and participation from all associates at all levels.
    -Senior management committed to culture change and demonstrates their commitment through their actions, not just lip service. Change needed to compete in the future marketplace.
    -Corporate strategy seeks to move company forward at a very fast pace.
    -As a mutual company, has the freedom to operate without the quarterly earnings pressures but still focused on growing profits.

Cons

-Technology improvements desperately needed since investments in IT were overlooked in past years. Now playing catch up in a very fast paced climate.
    -Late to the game changing culture compared to the rest of corporate America.
    -Speed of change required to advance company increases stress on associates.
    -Culture change moving from patriarchal approach to accountability approach has created discontentment among longer tenured associates.

Advice to Management

-Don't let off pushing the needed changes to advance the company.

"Stay away - ESPECIALLY from IT"

Current Employee - IT Consultant in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - IT Consultant in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at OneAmerica full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

-Great benefits, such as the pension and on-site clinic
    -On-site cafeteria with decent food and you receive a 20% discount
    -Nice location downtown with free parking
    -People are generally nice
    -Free sodas
    -Plenty of social events for people who enjoy that sort of thing
    -The CEO genuinely seems to care about the employees

Cons

Look, let me say that I really like the company and most of the people I've run into at OneAmerica. With that being said, the IT department at OneAmerica is an unmitigated disaster. I've worked for other companies over the course of my career and I've never seen such a toxic, dysfunctional, and disastrous excuse of a department. Some examples:

1. There are regular system outages affecting the business and customers and for all the talk and bluster about "root causes" and fixing things, the situation has only gotten worse and has been a persistent issue for weeks now.
    2. Speaking of weeks, it often takes WEEKS to get the most basic procedures performed due to needless bureaucracy and outsourcing to an incompetent partner. The partner in question has some really sharp people, but most of their associates seem to want to pass the buck and nickel and dime OneAmerica to death.
    3. People are placed in leadership roles who have absolutely no experience in that particular area.
    4. Despite the talk of "collaboration," the department is effectively siloed into Plan, Build, and Run silos. I personally think they're trying to eventually get rid of Run, as people are leaving and retiring and aren't being replaced.
    5. High turnover.
    6. With few exceptions, the CIO staff is full of narcissistic individuals who are clearly in way over their heads.
    7. People managing certain groups (such as release/deploy) who don't have the necessary service management experience to properly run that group. I could say more, but I won't. :)

Is this horrifying example confined to IT, or is it exhibited in other departments as well? That's a good question and I can't answer that, though I recently spoke to a friend in another department and she confided that she and others are developing an exit strategy as well.

Advice to Management

Scott Davison, this is for you: I think you care about your people and do a great job. But I've worked for much larger companies, much smaller companies, and companies around the same size as OneAmerica and every single one of those companies had IT departments which put OneAmerica's IT department to shame. All I can say is: Good luck, as you really do need to blow it up and start over with new leadership.

"Participant Service Representative"

Current Employee - Participant Services Representative in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Participant Services Representative in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at OneAmerica full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The pay is good and the hours are not bad. The benefits and incentives are effective at driving hard workers to stay on top of their jobs. Overtime is offered on a somewhat regular basis. Shift bids are offered every quarter.

Cons

Call center environment, coworkers not taking job seriously, management not listening to other employees concerns

"Work product not valued in actuarial"

Former Employee - Actuarial Associate in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Actuarial Associate in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at OneAmerica full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

On-site health clinic was nice, free parking, free soft drinks, nice people, on-site cafeteria, and monthly best days were nice

Cons

In actuarial dept only exam progress is valued, not work product. Don't come to this company if you think you may have trouble passing any exams. Poor communication. Lower pay compared to industry. They seem to pick and choose what rules they want to follow. Not a lot of room for growth.

Advice to Management

Change actuarial student program

"Better look elsewhere or else!"

Current Employee - Project Coordinator in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Project Coordinator in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at OneAmerica full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Free parking, decent vacation time, and nice pc

Cons

They terminate without any warnings
    The technology is pathetically outdated
    Mid-management is inexperienced
    Trying to figure what they want to be

Advice to Management

Treat employees with respect
    Realize you affecting employees’ lives and families

"Good company, poor training and supervision"

Former Employee - Processor in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Processor in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at OneAmerica full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

It's a solid company with good pay and facilities. I had hoped to have a long term career at One America, but I was not afforded that opportunity.

Cons

I worked in the Disbursements unit of Retirement Services division. My supervisors had no experience doing the job that I was hired to do. As a result, my training was handled by a coworker who had no experience as a trainer. The girl that was training me was unsupportive and condescending. Her main motivation was to dump her work on me so that she could move on to a different position. When I had questions, instead of being supportive, she would criticize me and then gossip with another coworker about me.

Advice to Management

Give ALL new employees proper training and support.