OneBeacon Insurance Group Reviews | Glassdoor

1.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
OneBeacon Insurance Group President, CEO, and Director Mike Miller
Mike Miller

1. "Worst Mistake of My Life"

Former Employee - Master Underwriter in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Master Underwriter in New York, NY

I worked at OneBeacon Insurance Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The president who hired me and the benefits package was good.

Met some nice people that I'm still in contact with

Cons

* They fired the president who hired me within the 3 months I was with the company.
    * Poor management (if they ever showed up to the office)
    * No training programs/ mentoring
    * Unprofessional management

Advice to Management

Hopefully they hired good people. As the team I worked with all moved to another company at the same time. That's probably a blessing in disguise.

2. "Not A Place For Intelligent People - You Decide....."

Former Employee - Senior Underwriter in Farmington, CT
    Former Employee - Senior Underwriter in Farmington, CT

Pros

None to speak of - all the good employees and managers are gone....

Cons

Company is inconsistent, management that does not understand core business. Farmington people are drones. Previously marketing driven with no regard for underwriting integrity. Used to be a great place to work but now a sweat shop and full of newbies who don't understand the product lines. Brokers only do business with the company because they know they can dump garbage on the green underwriters.

Advice to Management

No comment. Not going to suffer the fools. Would give NO rating if possible.

"No training, expect you to figure everything out for yourself"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Canton, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Canton, MA

I worked at OneBeacon Insurance Group (Less than a year)

Pros

The company offers some nice perks, like unlimited vacation days (which have to be approved by your manager) and a casual dress code. Pay is decent, but not great or worth the stress.

Cons

The company has no training plan to get you comfortable once you start. I was thrown in and expected to figure everything out on my own. Communication with management was difficult, as my manager was constantly busy and had no time to meet and answer questions. The company promotes people to manager who were good at their jobs, but appear to give no management training. My manager was extremely condescending when I asked for help, and it felt like my manager was constantly looking to nitpick everything I did. Unlimited vacations days are only useful if your manager is willing to approve them (mine were held hostage a few times depending on how things went that week). There were more than a few of my co-workers who felt the same way. I regret ever having worked here and I am much happier after leaving.

Advice to Management

Train your employees. When promoting people to management, give them management training. Do not call meetings for the whole department to discuss some rumor you heard from someone outside of the company.

"Not fulfilling"

Current Employee - Senior Project Manager in Canton, MA
    Current Employee - Senior Project Manager in Canton, MA

Pros

Ability to work remotly.
    Benefits are good

Cons

The cloud of Lay offs is always hanging above your head

Advice to Management

Treat your emplyees with respec

"There are better places out there."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Pros

Flextime available and benefits are good.

Cons

Middle management is almost all non-degreed. Their knowledge is limited to what they have learned on the job and there seems to be contempt for those with higher learning or professional designations in their field.

Upper management seems to have the intellect needed however they seem to be unable to exert order. Middle and upper management seem to be at odds with each other.

Opportunities for advancement are based on tenure not on merit.

Advice to Management

I don’t know where to start with this one. Middle management is a big part of the problem.

7. "Underwriting Position"

Former Employee - Undewriter
    Former Employee - Undewriter

Pros

None to speak of unfortunately - unable to provide any positive feedback as the company is no longer worth working for.

Cons

Used to be a great place to work until changes in senior management took place. Now a sweat shop. Underwriting talent, expertise and integrity which was previously the pride of the company no longer exists. If you want to work in a place that promotes poor morale, long hours of overtime, poor pay, nasty unappreciative managers and zero reward for your efforts - this is the place for you!

Advice to Management

Inconsistent management and poor communication across the organization. Talented underwriters no longer respected or able to do their jobs with integrity and autonomy with the new regime in place. Employees are treated like dumb worker bees and compensation only goes to the big bosses. Shame on you.

8. "Lack of direction and focus"

I have been working at OneBeacon Insurance Group full-time

Pros

The pay is good, however that is how employees are lured in

Cons

Management and leadership is constantly turning over so the direction and vision are always changing. It feels like non-leaders are put in leadership positions so that executive management is not challenged. The front line staff is overall bitter and disengaged. There are constant layoffs that deeply affect morale. Employees are lured in with amazing promises which are immediately broken once a contract is signed.

9. "Forced to work one 40 hours a work week or lose your job!"

Current Employee - Will Not Disclose
    Current Employee - Will Not Disclose

I have been working at OneBeacon Insurance Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Vacation, pay, and that is about it

Cons

If you're a hard worker then you get rewarded with more work then told over and over that it is not a 40 hour a week job and you are given hints that if you don't work over 40 hours then you may keep your job. They overload you with the work of two people but expect you to continue to provide superior customer service which is impossible with the work load. A home life balance is some kind of foreign word to this company. Simply they just don't care.

Advice to Management

Keep the work load reasonable, the job is stressful enough without telling us over and over this is not a 40 hour a week job and make us feel that if we don't work over 40 hours we will be on warning and potentially lose our job, there are labor laws ------one of these days it will take one brave person to put a stop to this behavior.

"Not Good Place to Work"

Pros

Nice People. That's really all i have to say about it. Oh, probably one of the nicer cafeteria's i've seen.

Cons

Salary blew, no room for advancement, layoffs, etc. Most prominent was the complete lack of leadership. My bosses would habitually "work from home", ie. taking a day off without having to use one of your vacation tdays.