OneBeacon Insurance Group Reviews | Glassdoor

Mike Miller

1. "Underwriting Assistant"

Current Employee - Underwriting Assistant in Bristol, CT
    Current Employee - Underwriting Assistant in Bristol, CT

I have been working at OneBeacon Insurance Group (Less than a year)

Pros

I truly cant think of any.

Cons

Management proclaimed not to be in favor of gossip, however once started, realized the next level managers were the ringleaders, and if you stayed out of the gossip, you were quickly out of the "club".

Advice to Management

They went under new management, who fired the managers Im referring to so they may have cleaned it up by now.

2. "Too big"

Former Employee - Finance in Rogers, MN
    Former Employee - Finance in Rogers, MN

I worked at OneBeacon Insurance Group (More than a year)

Pros

Pay & Benefits were good but these also could be negatives. They were paying me way too much for my job. I was being paid to make copies and data enter 50% of my time.

Cons

Middle managers need training on how to handle sticky situations.

3. "Great coworkers but company lacking leadership."

Current Employee - Underwriting Specialist in Farmington, CT
    Current Employee - Underwriting Specialist in Farmington, CT

I have been working at OneBeacon Insurance Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The people are great. The employees get free gym access. Management likes that employees use the gym even during lunch time. The products that are offered are solid.

Cons

The leadership is lacking. It is top heavy (think inverted pyramid). The company recently lost its President and the environment has had a nervous energy going through it ever since. The company has staffing problems. Employees are expected to perform additional work without recognition. There is a lack of training which handicaps anyone who wants to grow. The company structure has to be rethought as it currently goes against common sense. The structure leads to redundancies especially on the Operations side of the business. The technology used is outdated and its a major factor in inefficient use of work time.

Advice to Management

There are fantastic and skilled people who work here. Make sure they are acknowledged properly and pay them accordingly. Institute a training program so that your employees want to grow within the company. Provide your employees with good technology so that they can perform their duties more efficiently.

5. "Review"

Former Employee - Claims Representative in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Claims Representative in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at OneBeacon Insurance Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good hours flexible hours no micro managing

Cons

Poor pay and compensation no opportunity for growth

Advice to Management

think of the little person

6. "Being let go after 20+ years of devoted service"

Current Employee - Programmer/Analyst in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Programmer/Analyst in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at OneBeacon Insurance Group full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Allows some telecommuting depending upon location

Cons

Was a good company until they changed direction and decided to outsource a lot of IT functionality to the Phillipines. They are letting go a lot of experienced people that they could spend a few dollars to retrain. Not good for America.

Advice to Management

You don't have to follow the pack. Do what's right for American workers.

"Lacking our direction"

Former Employee - Underwriter in Farmington, CT
    Former Employee - Underwriter in Farmington, CT

I worked at OneBeacon Insurance Group full-time

Pros

Small company that can change direction quickly, some good specialty people. Several units are doing well.

Cons

Lots of politics for a small company. Management is sheltered from the front lines and any criticism. Random firings and hirings are a hit to morale.

Advice to Management

You are a small company, fire middle management and open up direct lines of communication. Use your small size to your advantage.

8. "Great Beginning, Disappointing Ending"

I worked at OneBeacon Insurance Group (Less than a year)

Pros

Decent salary and bonuses, PTO unlimited for certain job grades. Most positions allow the flexibility to work from home.

Cons

For the first several years I was part of the professional liability division, which had an unusually different culture from other carriers in that they cared about cultivating talent and inspired and rewarded their employees for achieving more than the status quo. There was also a willingness to entertain creative solutions and thinking outside the box in order to promote growth. This division was essentially was dissolved and whichever employees survived were absorbed into OBIG. Unfortunately OBIG culture was not any different from the typical carrier atmosphere - where politics and tenure, rather than one's qualifications, gets you promoted. Not much emphasis on creative solutions or growth. Not the type of culture that was a fit for me coming from where I did.

Advice to Management

The company touts itself as a specialty insurer, however there's really nothing anything different or "special" about its appetite, coverage or services that other competitors aren't already doing. This made it particularly tough when selling the product to brokers/insureds. Need to find a creative niche that will actually resonate with brokers/insureds, otherwise growth will be impossible, flat will be hard to maintain, and decrease in business will be likely.

9. "customer service"

Pros

nice benefits , office environment

Cons

pay was alittle low , no room from advancement

"No Direction"

Former Employee - N/A
    Former Employee - N/A

I worked at OneBeacon Insurance Group full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Remote working possible
    Fair pay
    Flexible scheduling promotes work/life balance

Cons

Constantly changing direction "we're conservative underwriters" one quarter, "we're aggressive salesmen" the next.
    Job security is iffy.
    Management appears to be trying to load up the top line for a sale - less concerned with the loss ratio or claims down the line.

Advice to Management

Remember there are people behind the numbers. Set a course and try to stick to it for a little while to promote morale, effort and productivity.

"Loved it for many years, but the last 3 were miserable"

Pros

During the last 3 years, the benefits to working at OneBeacon was a fair salary and an easy commute.

Cons

There were a number of layoffs during the recession, which I understood, but I feel that the layoffs went too far. Several people who had unique skill sets & knowledge that was still needed were let go, which left many people doing work that was above their job level, experience & qualifications. The people that were retained had to take on not just more work, but more difficult work, resulting in poor performance. People weren't allowed to work overtime to catch up, so a lot of things just simply didn't get done.

Advice to Management

Your employees are people, not machines. Treat them as such.