OneRoof Energy Reviews | Glassdoor

2.7
OneRoof Energy President & CEO David Field
David Field

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • I have worked at OneRoof Energy for over two years and I love it (in 5 reviews)

• I worked my way up from an entry-level position to leadership, and have worn many different hats along the way (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • many people within those walls regret sending OneRoof Energy their resume (in 3 reviews)

• We can't go to HR or upper management with issues or we get questioned relentlessly (in 3 reviews)

1. "The place was okay."

I worked at OneRoof Energy full-time

Pros

Great office scenery, snacks and coffee were provided, amazing HR team that cared about the employees, Managers listened (sometimes), and very passionate people about energy efficiency.

Cons

Terrible forethought and organizational structure, there were more executives than staff. This created an environment were growth was not possible and extra effort was unrecognized. In the end, the executives responsible for securing investors failed.

Advice to Management

Too late, the company closed its doors.

2. "A sad ending for a company that had great potential"

Former Employee - Sales in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Sales in San Diego, CA

I worked at OneRoof Energy full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Got to work in an industry whose mission I believe in and also with some really smart people.

Cons

Other than getting laid off a week before Christmas the financial mismanagement and lack of a coherent and consistent strategy doomed this company. I was there for 16 months and the company went through 3 major strategic shifts and had almost no focus on marketing .

3. "Up and down solarcoaster"

I have been working at OneRoof Energy full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good group of people to work with.

Cons

Indecisiveness has been the crux.

4. "It's Alright."

I have been working at OneRoof Energy full-time

Pros

Great young, dynamic work environment. Everyone is friends and work together to get goals accomplished.

Cons

There aren't many fluid processes in place so it can become a bit hectic at times and things tend to fall through the cracks.

Advice to Management

The management needs to work on making the business run more smoothly and make sure everyone is on the same page. More transparency and communication between departments is key. We need to set up one CRM system that everyone uses instead of several. We need less of a bottleneck when it comes to making simple decisions. ORE needs to compensate their employees better. Pretty much everyone in this company has a second job now.

"ORE is Awesome! Great Leadership, Culture and Employees!!"

Current Employee - Talent Acquisition Business Partner in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Talent Acquisition Business Partner in San Diego, CA

I have been working at OneRoof Energy full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I am currently a Talent Acquisition Business Partner at OneRoof Energy and have been here since March of this year!! I work with a wonderful Talent Acquisition Manager & VP of People and Culture as part of an awesome HR team! I love it here!! The Leadership is Excellent and there is a very open door policy. OneRoof is a great company and believes in it's employees, and helps each employee to grow and move up within the organization. The CEO and senior leadership care about the employees and that really makes for a great culture and environment to work in!!! I definitely enjoy working here among all of the very talented people and can honestly say this is a wonderful company!!! OneRoof has a great culture, awesome employees and leadership and really good benefits!! OneRoof is a great place to work and I am very happy here!! :)

Cons

I am one of two recruiters at OneRoof Energy and neither one of us wrote the negative review below marked recruiter. It's a mystery who wrote that false review! Due to a recent restructure and change in business direction, some people who are no longer at ORE, are upset, and feel the need to spark issues, and say negative comments on Glassdoor or other review sites, about the company, or leadership, that are simply untrue!! It's sad!!

6. "Together > Divided"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I worked at OneRoof Energy full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It's a rewarding experience to be working to distribute clean energy and to make it affordable. There is a HUGE need for innovation, spreading awareness, and distribution in the sector.

Cons

There are some aspects of a solar lease that aren't very clear. When push comes to shove, companies that offer solar leases are essentially middle men and are financializing the clean energy sector. There is a need for that, but when the product and business teams have visions that differ substantially it is difficult to get everyone rowing in the same direction

Advice to Management

It would have been extremely beneficial to have separated the tech team from the rest of the company. The tech team operates in an AGILE environment but the business requests came in through a waterfall. Each business request was like a fire drill. My advice - stay true to your vision and product roadmap, trust your team and build a business that promotes clean energy and significantly reduces greenhouse gas production!

"Fun, Creative, and Great Food!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I have been working at OneRoof Energy full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I've been at OneRoof Energy for almost three years. I worked my way up from an entry-level position to leadership, and have worn many different hats along the way. I'm always more than willing to learn new things, try new roles, and perform tasks way outside the realm of my regular job description. In my experience, this gets you very far here.

I thrive in this type of work environment. Some people may like jobs where you walk in, are told exactly what to do, and know exactly how every day is going to go. Not me - I quickly tire of positions that don't require growth, constant change and thinking on your feet. This is probably because my background is in consumer finance.

I worked at a large bank for over 5 years. After the same daily routine, limited flexibility, and set-in-stone processes I used to work in, OneRoof was a huge breath of fresh air.

Our company is mostly centered on the residential solar financing industry. Being that this ENTIRE industry is basically less than ten years old, it's exciting to me being at the forefront of delivering power to thousands of people in a new way. It also happens to be a way that doesn't scorch the earth and ruin the environment. I love telling people I work in renewable energy.

Every single day is different, and I'm able to think outside the box and develop creative solutions for all sorts of situations. As many prior reviews indicate, things change a lot in this industry. As a company, we've had to pivot many times, and these pivots don't sit well with everyone.

I've found it to be very exciting, and yes, at times crazy. Some days, when I have to wonder how I'm going to solve what seems like an insurmountable problem, I sit back and relax, think of the experience I'm gaining, and appreciate how lucky I am to be this creative on a daily basis. I also never work a day without at least one big smile or laugh with a coworker.

The stage is really set for anyone to grow here. If you have a good idea, there's a very real chance it will be implemented in the company process. You can actually see and feel the results of things you do, which is amazing. Sitting in a meeting with our CEO (David Field) and being able to make recommendations is a real treat.

Dress code is pretty casual, we get tons of benefits (currently $0 for our HMO health plan!), a lot of holidays, good vacation and sick time, beautiful office building with tons of walking access to restaurants and stores, weekly snack supplies (healthy and non-healthy options - whatever you choose!), and there are often office happy hours or gourmet lunches we get the chance to indulge in.

Everyone I speak to here seems to be extremely friendly and smart. There's a ton of great talent at this company, and I often find myself to be the least knowledgeable person in the room on a given subject. This is awesome, because I still come to work every day after 3 years and learn something new.

We've been through a lot of changes, and I'm sure there will be more. I'm always excited for a new challenge or opportunity, and I couldn't feel more supported than I do here. Here's to many more years!

Cons

As explained above, depending on your view of change, this can be a strength or weakness. In my experience, looking for the positive side no matter what happens enables you to do and accomplish much more. If you like air-tight processes, minimal change and the same daily routine, this may not be the place for you.

Although very flexible on many accounts, there's not a huge offering for working remote. This is by no means a big deal for me, but something I'd like to see developed in coming years.

Advice to Management

Work on developing more flexible remote working opportunities.

"Best Job Ever"

Current Employee - Operations in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Operations in San Diego, CA

I have been working at OneRoof Energy full-time

Pros

As a company we are moving forward. Just like any company we are learning and growing. Lots of motivated employees who actually want to help to make this company grow. Work events are very active. Great hikes. If you ever need help with ANYTHING the people here are excited to teach and never make people feel little.

Cons

We had to downsize but guess what. That's business.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work

"Finding steady ground"

Current Employee - Manager in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Manager in San Diego, CA

I have been working at OneRoof Energy full-time

Pros

Comp and benefits are unrivaled in comparison to other solar finance companies (on par at the very least). The surrounding area is filled with great food and amenities. Parking is abundant, and the property manager is very inviting of food trucks to post up on site. The company does a particularly good job of underscoring a healthy work-life balance. Working environment is flexible and tolerant - lots of snacks, shorts allowed during summer time, hours are fairly flexible, special company events/parties. Coming from a mortgage background where you are expected to perform at an exceedingly high level with very little motivation - I wouldn't exactly say Oneroof cultivates a "sit down and do your work" environment as others have mentioned below. I originally got hired as a temp employee 3 years ago (real three years, not glass door "pretend I worked here for three years"), got converted to full time, and eventually worked my way up to a leadership position, as many others have, by focusing on the company's success --- not sitting around and complaining about too much workload, or non-direction. This is an environment where you have the opportunity to make your own direction and take action through challenging everything. It is a very open format work place and my colleagues will agree that thinking outside of the box is promoted, if not, encouraged.

I am personally proud to be a part of a business that thrives in the depth of economic hardship. If I wanted a conservative and routine 9-5, I would go back to mortgage banking. Working here is much more than that, and many people (even those who are no longer with the company) can't deny that. The CEO is exceptional in his messaging to employees, and is someone who everyone in the company (myself included) stand behind and look to for leadership, regardless of what the reviews say. He spends most time on the front line raising capital so that we don't go down the same path our competitors do (i.e. having to raise capital using very unconventional methods). Yet, he never disappoints and always upholds the time to meet with his managers and employees to discuss concerns and the direction of the business, and engage in conversations that are free of specialized knowledge. I have personally seen David pull us out of 2 very tough situations, a time when many questioned the livelihood of the company and direction it was taking. That is earned trust - not simply following blindly and 'just' hanging on. Middle management (my colleagues) are young, however are some of the most driven and intelligent people I've met in my professional career. Entry to mid-level employees are the best part about the business - the recruiters do a great job, as clearly demonstrated by the amount of knowledge and talent that runs throughout the organization.

Cons

Though of course not a financial institution, some of the internal processes are run similar to those of financial institutions. The company is a go-between for people with money to invest in renewable energy and people who want solar panels with no upfront costs. I think what many fail to acknowledge is how unforgiving such a model can be. Since we heavily rely on capital coming in to keep the wheels of the business running (as companies in today's residential solar market commonly do), we experience extreme highs and extreme lows that are a reflection of the current market and investing conditions. Yes, the highs historically meant we needed to hire in excess to meet the volume demand of the business. The lows historically meant we needed to restructure and reduce in force and take time reflect on and rebuild all of our internal processes. This is not something that is entirely in the company's control. Many businesses go through these cycles of shedding and rebuilding, and yes it's very difficult to see people go. It is also worth noting that several of our competitors end up shutting their doors and don't recoup from such volatility. Nonetheless, I have never been more confident in this company and the direction we are heading. The term 'growing pains' is very cliché, and I hate to using it - however, the ups and downs we are experiencing are very much remnant of a rapid growth we experienced and definitely learned from, as well as a much larger/industry wide upward growth cycle.

A decision was made about 8-12 months back to bring new leadership in from a rival company. Though knowledgeable and respected in their fields, it was clear as day that they were not a good fit for the culture at Oneroof Energy. Certain changes that happened around the same time caused internal controversy and resentment towards the company by certain employees, the ripple effects extended far and wide (gossip, bad Glassdoor reviews, very valuable employees leaving, etc.). It was a bottom for the company. But the morale has bounced back like I've never seen before despite the "consensus" portrayed in the reviews posted. I also know many of the employees who currently work here or have been here over a couple years on a personal level - and it is my own belief that several of the harsh reviews below are authored by the same one or two people who claim to be current long-time employees that have been working here for years. Again, that is my own conclusion I came to using common sense and identifying certain patterns in language, but everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

Advice to Management

Keep showing your employees that you value them, and that they are the bread and butter of your organization. Continue to revamp and reinvent until the right formula is found. Your employees are not resistant to change; they just want their input to be heard when change happens. Business wide communication is important, be transparent. Go back to the old coffee.

OneRoof Energy Response

Sep 9, 2016 – VPHR

Thank you for such a thorough review. I appreciate the time you put into this and your careful assessment. We do believe in our employees, they are our lifeblood. Employees make this business tick... More

"Leadership?"

Current Employee - Recruiter in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Recruiter in San Diego, CA

I have been working at OneRoof Energy full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There are some really talented and great people at this company that want to do a good job and want this company to be successful but they are growing more and more frustrated by leadership decisions.

Cons

Favoritism among the senior leadership team. It doesn't matter if you're a loud mouth, poor producer and overall weak employee as long as youre a favorite of the CEO and his IT and HR enforcement. If they feel threatened or challenged by youll be out of here quickly.

Advice to Management

Clean house at the senior management level. How many times is company ownership going to watch this company fail, be short of cash, be unprofitable, have ridiculously high turnover, get bad reviews, make poor business decisions before they realize it's coming from the top. You had a great leader and let him get away because he was causing ripples and pissed off your HR leader. You should have kept him.